12 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:14

I sync my iPhone to my PC using iTunes.

I am selling my iPhone and buying an Android device, therefore intend to uninstall iTunes.

Before I remove iTunes, I would like to store my iPhone's backup (that presumably contains app data, contacts etc.) in case I get a new iOS device in the future.

What is the best way to do this, so I can restore a potential new iOS device from it in the future?

#2 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:19

I think iTunes automatically does this when you try to sync it. And it asks you whether you want to store the backup locally on your PC, or on iCloud.

#3 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:19

I think your apple ID will take care of all your apps. I'd let Google take care of contacts.

#4 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:36

I think iTunes automatically does this when you try to sync it. And it asks you whether you want to store the backup locally on your PC, or on iCloud.

I think your apple ID will take care of all your apps. I'd let Google take care of contacts.

It does not take care of the data within the apps, though (such as game progress). This type of data is the reason I want to store my backups.

#5 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:57

It does not take care of the data within the apps, though (such as game progress). This type of data is the reason I want to store my backups.

Ah! Gotcha.

http://lifehacker.co...e-to-a-new-ipad

Any good?

#6 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:00

Ah! Gotcha.

http://lifehacker.co...e-to-a-new-ipad

Any good?

Not bad, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if copying the content of C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup would suffice.

#7 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:05

****ed if I know, mate. Good luck lol :)

#8 watchthisspace

watchthisspace

Cheese Grator

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:28

http://ismashphone.c...one-backup.html

Or

http://aaltonen.co/2...-iphone-backup/

Both suggest you can just move the existing back up directory to where-ever, then make a link. Maybe you can just copy the back up folder to where ever and later on, move it back? EDIT: Sorry I realize you're wanting to make a long term back up as you're moving to Android and selling your iPhone. But perhaps the copying the back up folder still applies.

If you don't use iCloud, it might be worth setting it up now. That way you have 1 guaranteed back up.

#9 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:39

You should be able to just copy that folder. I would also recommend backing up all of your .app files that you care about in-regards to saved game progress. Otherwise a more-up-to-date version of the game you play may come out and for whatever reason breaks previous saved games. Or...idk..

If you make a copy of that folder where iTunes is saving the backups, you can copy it back to that location if ever you were to reinstall iTunes and restore from that particular backup.

If any of your apps have a way to Export any of their data I would recommend doing that as well.

You should be able to just copy that folder. I would also recommend backing up all of your .app files that you care about in-regards to saved game progress. Otherwise a more-up-to-date version of the game you play may come out and for whatever reason breaks previous saved games. Or...idk..

If you make a copy of that folder where iTunes is saving the backups, you can copy it back to that location if ever you were to reinstall iTunes and restore from that particular backup.

If any of your apps have a way to Export any of their data I would recommend doing that as well.

#10 karenmil

karenmil

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 21 October 2012 - 19:46

As suggested, you can just copy the iTunes backup folder. iTunes backups also contain your app data and if you are interested in retrieving them, you can use a 3rd party software that can do that for you. iPhone Backup Extractor can extract app data. You are safe in any cases as this is done automatically by iTunes when you create a local backup.

#11 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:22

There is also a program called iBackupBot, that I think will let you extract/restore specific app data from a backup. So you could use that to backup your saved games for instance and selectively restore them later.

#12 Boetic

Boetic

Neowinian

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:53

http://www.i-funbox.com/

should let you copy all info and data from phone, then restore it all in the future on the new phone.
havent tried it for this though, but it does let me access all files on my phone.

+ 1 for i-funbox. Or itools anyway.

#13 Tianrayquane

Tianrayquane

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:11

The normal iPhone backup is an incremental backup, in that only data that has changed is backed up or removed from the backup. There is no "running backup". You delete data on your iPhone, then sync, it will be removed from your iPhone backup, with no way to recover it.

If it didn't work this way, users hard drives would quickly fill up with, for the most part, useless iPhone backups.

The only reason I've got this data preserved is that it's included with the backups, which I keep for other reasons.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!