rumour

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:48

This will never happen, at least for this upcoming generation anyway. I think the only thing we may see more of is what ea did with the online pass. Not sure how much money it brought in for ea but I'm sure other companies want something from used sales.

#17 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:52

If your on about used games as in people trading in games then there is no real way to stop this that i can see, and anything they could think up would soon get cracked some way just like everything else has been cracked look at the silver bullet and xdg3 cracked!

As for the doing away with dvds etc i dont think it would be feasible yet, not unless they started to release games consoles with 1-2tb drives and/or options of using external hard drives but of cause this could/would mean people would want to take there downloaded games round friends houses so how would the game be locked to a console and stopped from sharing giving away? The only system they could use which still gets cracked is the steam way you need to be logged into an account to download and play the game...

The only other alternative which i dont think would work at the moment is bufffering game data as you played online, but i dont see that working well in areas that have bad internet (not everyone has superfast internet) or those that dont want/need there console connected to the internet all the time like me, i dont play online with my xbox.

Anyway im tired so im gonna go play some borderlands... what you thought i was going bed? Naaaah its just turned 5am im going out at 9am and be in the pub at 12pm :p

#18 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:58

I haven't had a problem with anything but the Dragon Age series lately in that regards.

It's a problem with a lot of EA games, not just Dragon Age. I suspect they push the developers and make them release it before it's ready
Quick cash and run, then when people stop buying the games from that developer because EA turned them to crap, they close it down
And go purchase the next guys. /minirant

PS: Can you tell I have no love for EA? heh

#19 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:58

I can see every game coming with some kind of pass (like some companies have passes to play online). They could make it part of the disc, put it in to the console and it immediately absorbs that pass. Want to play the game on another console? Buy a new pass.

As for completely killing the rental/second hard market, seems unlikely.

#20 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:00

There was a time when this would have gotten me up in arms but tbh it wouldnt surprise me and both MS and sony are likely colluding to ensure the principle applies to both otherwise its a clear advantage of one over the other.

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:15

It's a problem with a lot of EA games, not just Dragon Age. I suspect they push the developers and make them release it before it's ready
Quick cash and run, then when people stop buying the games from that developer because EA turned them to crap, they close it down
And go purchase the next guys. /minirant

PS: Can you tell I have no love for EA? heh

It's a problem I haven't noticed with any other EA games, at any rate. I guess that's about all I can say there.

I'd be surprised if EA had any more major acquisitions in the cards. They put enough into Bioware they'll be trying to make that back for a few years yet.

#22 bryonhowley

bryonhowley

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:40

I have not had any problems with DA or any other EA game as far as that goes but the is for PC as I do not game on my consoles. I have a Xbox 360 that is in its box in a closet and I only use my PS3 as a media server though PS3 media server so for me even if they locked the game disc to the console it is installed on it would not bother me one bit they are not what I choose to game on. I would pull out the Xbox 360 if another Halo comes out for it but that is it and only because it will not be on PC.

Complain all you want about the way games are patched now a days but I remember having to wait a month or two after a game was released to get a copy of Maximum PC CD/DVD edition just to get the patch for a game. And some times they were not playable until the patch came out. It was that or try to download it on a 56k dial up that seemed to always disconnect after about 80% and I would have to start over. Hell I still have a t-shirt from Microsoft for speeding allnight downloading IE I just do not remember which version it was anymore its been so long.

#23 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:45

Ha ha I was involved with the IE 5 launch... wild times.....

#24 Slarlac249

Slarlac249

Conquest FTW!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:49

I'm already upset with the lack of physical media on the PC for games, But is also understandable with the size of games these days. Not good if you have a slow connection. I miss the days of hugging that cd box ,going home to open a fresh new game... ahh those days.

you can still do that....

#25 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:53

It's a problem I haven't noticed with any other EA games, at any rate. I guess that's about all I can say there.

I have not had any problems with DA or any other EA game as far as that goes but the is for PC as I do not game on my consoles. I have a Xbox 360 that is in its box in a closet and I only use my PS3 as a media server though PS3 media server so for me even if they locked the game disc to the console it is installed on it would not bother me one bit they are not what I choose to game on. I would pull out the Xbox 360 if another Halo comes out for it but that is it and only because it will not be on PC.

I've had loads of problems with various EA games, but it's not just them, Fable 3 was a mess on release, game breaking glitches.

I never had these problems playing older games back in the day, Zork, Monkey Island series, Loom(hell all the LucasArts adventure games), Stunts, Nascar/Indy racing, Doom, RoTT, etc.
But it is true I play a lot more games these days, having the money to actually get them and not rely on parents to get them for me.

#26 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:54

you can still do that....

after downloading 3GB of patches...

#27 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:33

after downloading 3GB of patches...

Haha, BF3 is one of the worst offenders here...

Thank God I'm on 50MBit/s down LOL
Otherwise firing up that game would be horrible.

Glassed Silver:mac

#28 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:38

Haha, BF3 is one of the worst offenders here...

Thank God I'm on 50MBit/s down LOL
Otherwise firing up that game would be horrible.

Glassed Silver:mac

how many GB was your largest game patch download?

#29 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:33

Mine was 9GB for Witcher 2...over and over and over and over again...

Valve finally fixed it. Then after another nine months (or more?) the fix actually worked.

Fortunately that's the only fail story I have about digital distribution...one gigantic ****up on the part of all companies involved.

#30 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:47

I'd say it most definitely is false. Unless they go completely digital (which is highly unlikely as it would alienate whole markets) they have no way of policing it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they follow EA's lead and start making games come with one use codes that you need to enter to access full features of the game. So you'll still be able to buy used games but not without paying a fee (in additional to the cost of the [used] game) to use it fully. Saying that though, I doubt they'll do anything. Used games are more a thorn in the side of developers more then MS, since they still get money from hardware sales, first party accessories and premium services. That is my 2 cents anyway.