30 years ago today the CD began to play

The Compact Disc format changed the way we listened to music in the 1980s. Sony's first player, the CDP-101, went on sale on October 1, 1982, in Japan, and six months later here in the U.S.

At $1,000 it was pretty expensive, but supplies were limited, so every one sold for full price. Before the CD arrived, the mainstream music market was split between vinyl albums/singles and cassettes, and strangely enough, it wasn't just CD's sound that won over the masses, it was digital audio's no-wear durability and noise-free sound that drew raves. Audiophiles' reactions were mixed; some loved CDs' clarity, but many thought CDs sounded cold and hard.

The CD was an evolution of the analog video LaserDisc format that debuted in 1978. Prototype players were developed by Philips and Sony independently in the mid- and late 1970s. The two companies collaborated on the development of the CD.

more

post-37120-0-55512200-1349129671.jpg

I'm hugging my Justin Beiber cd. :laugh:

let me grab a barf bucket for yah

Don't you dare!!!

LOL......

I'll scratch a justin biber...eff that''' HAMMER TYME!!!

Still the best way of getting high quality music.

Sure is! Just not worth the price for the quality of what's on it, usually. Speaking of Bieber!!

Have over 6,000 cd's myself. ;)

Does anyone remember when you watched commercials on TV and they said "...$14.95 for two LP's or Cassettes"? I think it is cool though that the first CD was Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_in_the_U.S.A.).

Now, instead of having CD's I have more MP3's and AAC's than the I do CD's. Sad but true. Saves space though on the shelf! :)

In the fifties and sixties it was 45s and 33s for me, then in the mid to late sixties along came the reel to reel, albeit the records kept coming until the CD hit the market. Never got into cassettes because the sound just wasn't there. A reel to reel playing at 7.5 inches per second or at 15 inches per second were really great. All my records got recorded right out the holder then placed into storage, and 90 percent of them are still in storage today (will be Willed to my sons).

Bought my first CD player in 86 (some Magavox model) and just enough cash left for one CD, Megadeth - Peace Sells...but Who's Buying? Stil have that disk, although it's been ripped a few times for MY PERSONAL USE on various devices over the years. I also have a ton of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy on Vinyl that the momanator passed on to me. Rock On Mom.

OT: Happy B-day Pam.

Bought my first CD player in 86 (some Magavox model) and just enough cash left for one CD, Megadeth - Peace Sells...but Who's Buying? Stil have that disk, although it's been ripped a few times for MY PERSONAL USE on various devices over the years. I also have a ton of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy on Vinyl that the momanator passed on to me. Rock On Mom.

OT: Happy B-day Pam.

Thanks. . . :D

Fun fact: The first audio disc was set to be 74 minutes long. The reason? The man overseeing the project, Norio Ohga, was an audiophile and he loved Beethoven's Ninth Symphony so much that he insisted that a CD be large enough in data size to be able to fit the whole symphony on to one CD. The symphony is 74 minutes long.