• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,777 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:35

After initially denying it, Apple has acknowledged the iPhone 5's purple flare camera problem in an email to a Gizmodo reader. Their solution: "Angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures."
Here's their complete answer:

Dear Matt,

Our engineering team just gave me this information and we recommend that you angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures. The purple flare in the image provided is considered normal behavior for iPhone 5's camera. If you wish to reach me regarding this case number *********, please contact me at 1-877-***-**** ext. *******. I currently work Thursday-Monday: 7:00am - 3:30pm Mountain Time. If you reach my voicemail, please leave your name, phone number, case number and the best time to reach you. Email is ***********@apple.com.

Sincerely,
Debby
AppleCare Support

Long time Gizmodo reader Matt Van Gastel received this email after a long call with Apple support regarding the Purple Flare problem in his phone, which apparently is a feature common to every iPhone 5:

Initially I was told that it shouldn't happen and that it is strange. My call was escalated to a senior support individual who again said it was odd and shouldn't happen. I sent her some pics of the issue and she in turn sent them to the engineering team.

Her final response is what you can see at the top of this article. Some photography experts have speculated that the purple flare is a product of the sapphire glass covering the iPhone 5's camera.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So it is final, folks: Apple says that, if your photos have a purple flare, this is totally normal behavior of the iPhone 5's camera. You are just holding it wrong.

Also, it's not Apple's fault that the Sun is purple.

Source: Gizmodo

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,572 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:39

Apple's R&D really sucks these days. I remember when they released products with little to no issues at all. They just, worked. Now it seems that with each product they release, more and more problems.

#3 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,928 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:44

Apple's R&D really sucks these days. I remember when they released products with little to no issues at all. They just, worked. Now it seems that with each product they release, more and more problems.

How is that an R&D issue? Seems to me the company is lacking in QC.

#4 theclueless

theclueless

Neowinian

• 465 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:46

the iphone 4 antenna problem could be corrected by holding the phone the other way, but the iphone 5 camera problem cant be solve by blocking the sun

#5 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• 1,045 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:52

Apple just need to market this as a feature - something along the lines of "White is boring, therefore iphone turns sun purple. Cool. Refreshing. Artistic. Amazing. It just works, and boy have we patented it.".

Everybody would demand all cameras turn sun purple.

#6 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,755 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:55

If it affects them all, it's R&D. If it only affects some, it'll be QC.

Either way, it shouldn't be happening, although a purple sun is rather cool...

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,572 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:00

If the product was developed properly to begin with...there wouldnt be issues like this. And Apple dismissing any problem is funny.

#8 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,784 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:01

Apple design team: Oops.

#9 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,739 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:06

Lumia 920 is looking better all the time.

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:09

^ It sure is.

#11 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,660 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:11

Seems like the camera software is boosting the exposure to compensate for "low light" at all times instead of just actual low light conditions. :/

#12 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,593 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:11

That's better, I thought there was a change in attitude from Tim Cooks apology. Fingers crossed a software update can compensate for this flaw

#13 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

• 1,287 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:21

Lumia 920 is looking better all the time.

The Lumia 920 can have the best camera of any smartphone and it would still not appeal to me. It is has hidious blue tile metro look that all Windows phone 7 have. Now if it had vanilla Android on it; I could see myself considering buying it.

#14 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• 1,950 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:22

Reminds me of a joke someone told on here a long time ago, when Apple's iPhone reception was the problem.

"Two iPhones got married. It was a beautiful ceremony, but the reception was awful. Apparently they held it in the wrong place."

Lol.

#15 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:28

It amazes me that users keep putting up with their crap. I'd be completely insulted if I was told that I was doing something wrong when the device is faulty.