Photo

Windows 7 Clipboard not clearing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:09

I am working on a project where I need to take screenshots from a virtual machine and paste them into Paint (or Word). I am encountering a couple of issues.

When in the virtual machine (ubuntu-based) and I press fn+prt sc, I get the screenshot I want and paste into Paint. The next time I want to do a screenshot in Ubuntu, I press fn+prt sc, but this time I get a prompt to save the screenshot in the VM. When I cancel the prompt and try to paste into Paint or Word, nothing happens because nothing went to the clipboard.

The other problem I have is that the clipboard contents are not getting cleared so when I get to an area where I want to take another screenshot and I somehow don't get the prompt, when I paste into Paint or Word, I am getting an old screenshot.

I searched in google how to clear the clipboard (cmd /c "echo off | clip"), but that didn't help.

#2 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:38

which virtual machine program your using?

#3 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:47

and what the hell would you be pasting into word or paint for??

There are much better ways to save a screenshot - use the built in snipping tool in windows or use a 3rd party product, I use faststone capture daily

What exactly do you need the screenshots for? Are you trying to create documentation on how to do something, wanting to document a bug or issue?

So more details of what your project is about, and I am sure we can point you to a more efficient method than print screen and pasting into paint ;)

#4 OP cbrookhart

cbrookhart

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:39

I am using the VMware virtual machine.

I am working on a school assignment which requires that I take screenshots at various points to show that certain steps were completed. I wasn't aware of the Windows snipping feature and I actually didn't have a shortcut for it. I researched this tool and found how to access it. I tried it, and it worked out much better than the fn+prt sc method that I was previously trying.

#5 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 13:32

There you go then - problem solved ;)