Notch reacts to a Neowin article: 'Don't be a goat rapist'

John Callaham: Don?t be a goat rapist

An open letter to John Callaham:

I have never once said I don?t like closed platforms. I have quite a few of them laying around my house, and I love most of them. My Nintendo 3DS brings me headaches and remakes of good games, my PSP Go is pretty much the only one sold in the entire world, and my cable modem from Cisco brings me amazing internet access almost 98% of the time.

But my favorite device out of all of them is my PC. It?s an open platform, designed to be open, and to allow different hardware and software to all work together kinda-sorta crash free, and it?s amazing. I can install whatever OS I want on it, or even write my own if I happened to be a mad genius (I wish). I care a lot about my PC, and I want it to stay open, and will not participate in anything that would make it more closed.

For every user Microsoft convinces to use the Modern UI, they have one more user they get to choose what programs they can see. They get to certify programs and control the experience. This is great for them (and possibly arguable makes for a smoother end user experience as well, but that?s debatable if it?s good), but it places faaaaar too much power in the hands of a single entity.

This is my complaint.

Now, on to personal things.

You?ve never ever been cruel to animals as far as I know, and I find that very charming and manly. It?s one of the things I like most about you, in fact, and it would be a huge shame if you ever did something cruel to animals, but I know you won?t. So thank you for not being a goat rapist! It wouldn?t fit you at all!

Thanks for the personal attack,

Markus

Source: The World of Notch

Amusing, but surely he ignored most of the article. It wasn't about Notch making a version of Minecraft that can be sold/installed from the Windows 8 App store. It was about Windows 8 Certification... Certification of it's compatibility with the legacy Desktop. Well that's the idea I got from John's article.

Amusing, but surely he ignored most of the article. It wasn't about Notch making a version of Minecraft that can be sold/installed from the Windows 8 App store. It was about Windows 8 Certification... Certification of it's compatibility with the legacy Desktop. Well that's the idea I got from John's article.

The article is about the technical feasibility of certifying Minecraft, which is largely irrelevant for Notch's stance on the matter.

He just doesn't want to certify his app for an OS whose direction he doesn't agree with.

How does Win8 prevent you from installing any non 'Metro apps' through desktop as before? If you choose to develop for the new interface you have to play by MSFT rules, else stick with the 'legacy' desktop environment. And PC != Windows last I ckecked, Windows 8 does not change anything to the 'openness' of your PC except for installing apps running in the 'Metro' environment so what's your beef really?

Windows 8 doesn't stop you installing any Win32 application, i.e. most of the ones that are about now,

Notch's problem is the future, currently Microsoft is pushing to metro, how many revisions is it before it's metro only? Or you have to jump through hoops to get it going? Is it going to be Windows 9 or 10. If Microsoft keep the desktop then thats fine, however it's the future and it's no good trying to stop it once it's gone, it's best to stop it now. Microsoft are listening so hopefully this kind of feedback will help them better shape the future so that Microsoft wins and the end user/developers win.

Oh and apple is not the same as Windows, Apple has always been a closed platform, Windows on the other hand has always been open which is one of the reasons its on 90% of the computers in the world.

• Like 1

Microsoft offered to help certify Minecraft on Windows 8, Notch launches tirade of ill informed comments about Windows 8 and John (correctly) pointed out how wrong he is, even going so far as to comment how easy Rafael was able to get it certified for Windows 8, and then Notch writes this?

:rolleyes: is all I have to say.

Rafael also doesn't read things thoroughly it seems as well.

• Like 2

The article is about the technical feasibility of certifying Minecraft, which is largely irrelevant for Notch's stance on the matter.

He just doesn't want to certify his app for an OS whose direction he doesn't agree with.

Pure arrogance and disrespect of the fans.... I have said this many times on the OA and I will repeat here for those that didn't:

Notch is being arrogant and putting his ego first and not the players of minecraft..... if the fans want it then he should do what the fans want.... regardless of what platform it's on.... regardless of whether he likes the store idea or not... that's one part of being a developer, sometimes you have to put your own interests aside to make your users happy.... and this is where he epically fails.... my hubby doesn't care about windows 8, yet he knew about this and thought notch was being a douchenozzle about the whole thing... he is... he's arrogant and he needs to get his head out of his buttox.

• Like 3

so he's got no problem with XBLA or AppStore?

it's nice to read how he tries to divert the conversation by mentioning closed platforms like his cisco router... try mentioning a few he actually makes money from

and cut the romantic crap about PCs and own OSes... just tell me who paid you for this 'opinion' of yours; i'm serious, it's NOT shameful to be a good businessman but if you want to be one just go and certify your stuff and present it on Windows Store, it's just another way to get it to people; meanwhile noone controls the desktop apps i install (I REALLY WISH SOMEONE WOUD DO SOME QUALITY CONTROL) so i can have my freedom and my Modern UI exactly the same time

you can have your dignity and stop promoting someone else's bull****

Yeah I would just put this one to bed, there's clearly two strong minded individuals with different thoughts. It's never really going to end if it continues. :p

Pure arrogance and disrespect of the fans.... I have said this many times on the OA and I will repeat here for those that didn't:

Notch is being arrogant and putting his ego first and not the players of minecraft..... if the fans want it then he should do what the fans want.... regardless of what platform it's on.... regardless of whether he likes the store idea or not... that's one part of being a developer, sometimes you have to put your own interests aside to make your users happy.... and this is where he epically fails.... my hubby doesn't care about windows 8, yet he knew about this and thought notch was being a douchenozzle about the whole thing... he is... he's arrogant and he needs to get his head out of his buttox.

Disrespect how?

Notch is under no obligation to support the latest Windows OS version, let alone certifying the app. AFAIK you were never promised any kind of support on future Windows releases... and yet Minecraft will anyway be running on W8, just not certified.

By the way, has Minecraft any kind of certification at all for any Windows version? If not, why is it suddenly such a big issue? Just because Notch went vocal about his reasons?

I'd take bigger offence over the fact that as far as 1.3.2 Minecraft still has problems with chunks not loading, resulting in holes in the map and/or being able to see distant mines through the floor.

• Like 2

Disrespect how?

Notch is under no obligation to support the latest Windows OS version, let alone certifying the app. AFAIK you were never promised any kind of support on future Windows releases... and yet Minecraft will anyway be running on W8, just not certified.

By the way, has Minecraft any kind of certification at all for any Windows version? If not, why is it suddenly such a big issue? Just because Notch went vocal about his reasons?

I'd take bigger offence over the fact that as far as 1.3.2 Minecraft still has problems with chunks not loading, resulting in holes in the map and/or being able to see distant mines through the floor.

If the fans want full certified windows 8 support and he does not want to due to personal egotistical reasons that is disrespect....

• Like 2

If the fans want full certified windows 8 support and he does not want to due to personal egotistical reasons that is disrespect....

What fans do want full certified Windows 8 support? Minecraft fans or Win8 fans?

Did anyone actually care about that before Notch twitted about it?

Is Minecraft fully certified on Windows7? Does anyone care?

Why are people still using iOS and Xbox versions as a bashing tool? Was iOS or Xbox ever adverticed as open platforms? Was there ever a time where you could submit a game/app without it going through a cert on those platforms?

Desktop Windows has never had this and what he's saying is he fears what Windows will become. A platform controlled by Microsoft meaning everything has to go through Microsoft. Ofc. that is not how it is now with Windows 8 but what about future versions?

While the response letter seemed a bit unnecessary, I say that it is his game, therefore he can choose whether he wants it to be Windows 8 certified or not. Does his reasoning behind it really matter?

Minecraft is Notch's creation, he has every right to do what he damn well pleases with it. I know this thought doesn't sit well with the Microsoft shills at this forum but people are in software development for themselves, not to appease Microsoft.

• Like 3

What fans do want full certified Windows 8 support? Minecraft fans or Win8 fans?

Did anyone actually care about that before Notch twitted about it?

Is Minecraft fully certified on Windows7? Does anyone care?

That's where I'm at. The man made his millions and now he gets to spew his opinions, be they full of **** or not.