minecraft notch john callaham windows 8

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#166 Aethec

Aethec

Neowinian Senior

• 2,218 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 20:21

No it really isn't, but come back to me when you know what enterprise is.

If you want to claim that Java is good to know because that's what enterprises use, say that. That's completely independent from Java's qualities and faults.

#167 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,854 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 20:47

Well said Notch, though he may be too optimistic - I'd keep an eye on the goats. Another fine example of the mature dialogue that Neowin staff and management promotes while lambasting it in others. These series of articles have clearly catered more to emotion than facts. The wagon circling posts on a fight you picked by attacking his character, while not once actually demonstrating you understood his point to begin with, are only further example of this.

Tut tut.

#168 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:05

I haven't been following this and I frankly don't care either way. It's just a shame that things have got out of hand like this.

#169 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,227 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 October 2012 - 18:54

what enterprise would rely on it??? ones that are stuck in old ways....

there are some that still use dos for cryin out loud....

not a good reason to defend java.... are you gonna defend netscape enterprise server just becuase there are companies that still use it?

So you just confirmed you don't have a clue about enterprise or enterprise computing.

If you think enterprise java is backwards, you need to get sme real education or just get out of IT.

#170 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,463 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 05 October 2012 - 19:20

So you just confirmed you don't have a clue about enterprise or enterprise computing.

If you think enterprise java is backwards, you need to get sme real education or just get out of IT.

I gave an example of an enterprise making a bad decision.... like you are in defending java when it's terribly flawed.

Just becuase a company uses it and "gets along fine" with it doesn't mean it's good.
they may say they are getting along fine with it to please shareholders or whatever when they really might hate it...

#171 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 05 October 2012 - 22:46

I'm sorry what? This post...is way out of my league of understanding.

Please be quiet next time, you'll seem smarter.

Do you even understand how sever the 0day exploits are for enterprises? Or are you just talking out of you ass? I'm guessing no and yes.

#172 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

• 993 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 23:05

If he was smart, he'd give his fans what they really want. A game without Java.

Excuse my ignorance... But, if they rewrite Minecraft to get rid of the Java requirement will you retain the same "drop-in" functionality for mods and texture packs? I would think modding would become much more complicated.

#173 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,722 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:41

Excuse my ignorance... But, if they rewrite Minecraft to get rid of the Java requirement will you retain the same "drop-in" functionality for mods and texture packs? I would think modding would become much more complicated.

There's other ways of doing that.

#174 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,721 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:36

Wow this is all just silly to me. Really it is his program that he wrote. If he feels he does not want to certify it good. so what. Will it stop anyone from installing it on a new machine,...no... Anyone can still play it. He can always just make it for linux and see what comes from that.

#175 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:02

Well said Notch, though he may be too optimistic - I'd keep an eye on the goats. Another fine example of the mature dialogue that Neowin staff and management promotes while lambasting it in others. These series of articles have clearly catered more to emotion than facts. The wagon circling posts on a fight you picked by attacking his character, while not once actually demonstrating you understood his point to begin with, are only further example of this.

Tut tut.

Idiots here still don't understand his point. Moronity here goes like this: "He's so lazy, he won't cert it when even some tech journo derp Riviera managed to cert Posted Image" -> tell them it's not about that -> "He's such a hypocrite, he put on 360 and iOS Posted Image" -> tell them a PC is not a closed system -> "He's doing a disservice to his fans Posted Image" -> tell them he has the right to do as he pleases with his company -> "He's a bad person and I don't like him Posted Image" :laugh:

#176 Jaybonaut

Jaybonaut

Neowinian

• 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:17

Read the first page; typical Neowin MS fan responses. Yes, I get that he's made mistakes regarding this topic.

#177 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:31

@Leo.... all you do is attack windows 8 and attack Microsoft and blindly defend notch even though he's dead wrong and all he is doing is alienating his fans that use windows 8 and wanna play his game.... how hard is it to understand that if you're a developer that expects people to pay for your app that you must support it and must sacrifice a little to please your customers....

#178 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:42

cat, don't bother with them. Nothing you say is going to change their mind.

This will be my last post on anything Notch related, as far as I'm conserned he can build his own OS if he doesn't like what MS is doing, of course that OS would be built on Java so It would be funny to see how that works out for him.

#179 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:04

This will be my last post on anything Notch related, as far as I'm conserned he can build his own OS if he doesn't like what MS is doing, of course that OS would be built on Java so It would be funny to see how that works out for him.

Same here ^_^

#180 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,227 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:31

I gave an example of an enterprise making a bad decision.... like you are in defending java when it's terribly flawed.

Just becuase a company uses it and "gets along fine" with it doesn't mean it's good.
they may say they are getting along fine with it to please shareholders or whatever when they really might hate it...

OK, how is Java a bad decision for enterprise, what option do you actually have ? because this should be entertaining.

and yes, enterprise programming not only relies almost exclusively on Java, it's the best choice for them. and they don't just get along fine, they are far more stable, reliable and performance oriented than any systems you use.

I''ve yet to see ANY valid arguments why Java is bad.

of course it's your last post, you just realized you don't have an argument and can't argue it. it's not about changing minds, I don't think Java s best for everything, and I think it's a terrible choice for a game, I don't however think Java is universally bad, Not do I believe it's only good for enterprise. for enterprise however it's pretty much a defining standard with no real competition in quality or reliability as yet. and for many parts of the world Java is used very reliably for secure bank ID logons. It's chosen for this for the very same reason it's used in enterprise, but is annoying a bit because of the constant requirement of clients to update their java and certain browsers inability to properly communicate with Java.