minecraft notch john callaham windows 8

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#46 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

• 1,417 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:35

Am I right in thinking Minecraft could appear in the Windows Store but not be a Metro app, so software makers won't lose eyeballs or a 30 % cut as the listing will just link to their website ?

That is a good reason to get certified right ?

Steam could be quite popular as a listed program on Windows Store even though it only links to Valve's website in the end but think of the consumers who will see that more than usual on Windows 8.

#47 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,974 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:42

Am I right in thinking Minecraft could appear in the Windows Store but not be a Metro app, so software makers won't lose eyeballs or a 30 % cut as the listing will just link to their website ?

That is a good reason to get certified right ?

Steam could be quite popular as a listed program on Windows Store even though it only links to Valve's website in the end but think of the consumers who will see that more than usual on Windows 8.

This is correct. I think WinZip was among the first desktop applications to be certified (and available) in the Release Preview as well!

#48 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,967 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:44

Microsoft may gain a few friends amongst the app junkie crowds but power users will start looking elsewhere.

That's what the market wants though, Each player in the desktop space all have their own markets. It's nothing you're going to be escaping. Apple has a store, and so does Canonical.

#49 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:00

I don't get the goat reference :/

It is just to attract attention to the article.

#50 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,974 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:01

It is just to attract attention to the article.

Yeah because otherwise facts would just get in the way :p

#51 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,966 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:04

That's what the market wants though, Each player in the desktop space all have their own markets. It's nothing you're going to be escaping. Apple has a store, and so does Canonical.

No, it's what mindless app junkies want, to play Angry birds and laugh at fart apps. I didn't spend £1,400 to turn my PC into a worthless tinkertoy. And Linux is a pretty poor example given that there are no ridiculous guidelines to use the software repositories on Linux, not to mention Linux is completely open and can be modified to remove anything the user doesn't want without invalidating their EULA

#52 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:05

I agree with everything he said. However there's another thing that threatens the 'Open PC', and that's Microsoft's demands that OEM's use a secure boot bios/UEFI. I want to be able to run any OS I choose on a PC. I don't want to be locked down.

#53 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,980 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:13

I agree with everything he said. However there's another thing that threatens the 'Open PC', and that's Microsoft's demands that OEM's use a secure boot bios/UEFI. I want to be able to run any OS I choose on a PC. I don't want to be locked down.

OT, but the problema is not secure boot, nor secure boot being mandatory.

The problem is that the best you can hope for is an option to turn it off, when ideally you should have a third middle-ground option where you can use your own signed keys without paying for Microsoft's blessing.

Ie. something like:
-Secure boot enforced
-Secure boot permissive
-Secure boot disabled

And life'd be good and everyone happy.

#54 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• 1,645 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:15

Agreed, I happen to agree with Notch as well. Not to say that John was wrong though, but Windows 8 introduces a mechanism that sooner or later will lock you in a sandbox. If they are pushing for app certification in the store, then they will sooner or later do like apple: By default, block any non-store apps from being installed unless you find the checkbox to undo this. And after a couple releases, that checkbox will disappear. You will be completely stuck. And they will do this in the name of protecting you against malware.

#55 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,897 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:21

It seems to me that the software world has merged with the "celebrity" world now. Self-important twits are popping out of the woodwork. I never bought Minecraft because I don't put Java on my machines. Now I'll never buy it because the author is the gaming equivalent of Paris Hilton.

#56 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,785 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

I want to be able to run any OS I choose on a PC. I don't want to be locked down.

So don't buy a system that wasn't designed specifically for Windows 8, or get a distro that's got a signed bootloader. There's already a few working on this.. you do know this could help protect Linux from rootkits as well yea?

And after a couple releases, that checkbox will disappear. You will be completely stuck. And they will do this in the name of protecting you against malware.

And again, people are making the crazy assumption that Microsoft is run by a bunch of morons who think that nobody's going to notice or complain when millions of programs suddenly aren't able to be used. Do you think people would buy a Windows OS that doesn't run Windows software? No? Pretty sure they'll come to the same conclusion.

#57 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,314 posts

one entity.... oracle.... they control java....

Oracle barely controls Java, it's open-source and free to develop for.

#58 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,967 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:25

No, it's what mindless app junkies want, to play Angry birds and laugh at fart apps. I didn't spend £1,400 to turn my PC into a worthless tinkertoy. And Linux is a pretty poor example given that there are no ridiculous guidelines to use the software repositories on Linux, not to mention Linux is completely open and can be modified to remove anything the user doesn't want without invalidating their EULA

Huh? ###### are you on about?

#59 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,031 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:28

I for one support Notch's decision. Why should he support or work with a platform he doesn't support/agree with? I know I sure wouldn't. I don't work with people I don't support. It is disrespectful.. on the user side. To be all upset and hating the person that made your game because he doesn't agree with your opinion. John should not have called him out, and I think it was a very childish thing to do. Some people don't support Windows 8 and the control MS has over it. I don't, I think a desktop os should be 100% open and 100% separate from any mobile (outside of laptop).

#60 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,312 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:30

I don't want either of those, but having all my apps fully hardware accelerated, properly sandboxed, kept to one directory and so on would be fantastic.