Notch reacts to a Neowin article: 'Don't be a goat rapist'

Wow. Notch explained why he said what he said and still the Neowinian Windows 8 fanboys don't understand.

Can't speak for everybody, but it's not that his comment isn't understood.. but it just doesn't make any sense and contradicts itself. First, he says he likes some closed platforms. Then, he likes the PC because it's an open platform. Then he says he hates the Modern UI because it's closed (likes the rest, just not this one).. but forgets to mention where exactly Microsoft put a gun to his head forcing him to use it, never mind completely disregarding the fact that Windows is still an open platform.. namely he doesn't have to certify, he doesn't have to use the app store, he doesn't have to pay Microsoft a cent, he doesn't have to do a single God damned thing that he wasn't doing before. You want to work in the Windows app store ecosystem then yes, you're playing by their rules, just like you got to follow Apple's, Google's, Canonical's, etc rules when you want to work with theirs. Nobody is forcing him to do so.

Free web hosting exists, as does google code, sourceforge, github, and they all allow free hosting.

yes, and on this service you can upload and have for download Win32 apps that will work on Win8 and win9 and so on untill win32 is deprecated as ancient sometime in the 22nd century.

your point was ?

What an interesting drama.

I personally don't think theres any debate as to the benefits of microsoft aiming to further control the OOTBE for Windows. Truth is due to the scope of windows its always going to be circumventable and customisable just the regular peeps who will appreciate it MS is taking a handle on things rather then washing their hands of the OS once its out the door and the consumer being subjected to any number of poor OOTB experiences.

If Markus has such a problem with single entities having too much power perhaps he should look around at the state of the world and the encroachment of privacy and liberities being undertaken across most western nations at the moment. Yes two different kettles of fish but were I passionate against power consolidation MS wouldn't be on my list of worries.

Wow. Notch explained why he said what he said and still the Neowinian Windows 8 fanboys don't understand.

BEcause his reasoning doesn't make sense, and all he does is come across as a crybaby with attention needs.

He has changed the topic wording from 'rapist' to 'murderer', to make it less "offensive".

On the other hand, I think his reply was attack first, and information second. But he will just end up giving John Callaham more attention.

Minecraft is Notch's creation, he has every right to do what he damn well pleases with it. I know this thought doesn't sit well with the Microsoft shills at this forum but people are in software development for themselves, not to appease Microsoft.

Windows is Microsoft's creation, they have every right to do what they damn well please with it.

BEcause his reasoning doesn't make sense, and all he does is come across as a crybaby with attention needs.

How could he dare to post a tweet with his opinion on anything... he should have just published an editorial article on the front page of his website.

Is it DEFCON1 already at the W8 defense brigade?

How could he dare to post a tweet with his opinion on anything... he should have just published an editorial article on the front page of his website.

Is it DEFCON1 already at the W8 defense brigade?

Are you implying that because he tweeted about something, he's free from being criticized? It has nothing to do with defending Windows 8. I don't agree with what Markus Persson said and I strongly dislike Windows 8. The issue here is that his statements are contradictory.

• Like 3

I don't want either of those, but having all my apps fully hardware accelerated, properly sandboxed, kept to one directory and so on would be fantastic.

Given that I have more than one hard disk in my computer, that's the last thing I want ;) I'm perfectly capable of managing those matters myself.

Err. yes there is, or you have to run your own repo, or put it on one of the third party repos with no quality control

Given the kind of crap I've seen in a lot of Linux software repositories I doubt their quality control is all that stringent. Certainly nothing like the ridiculous limits Microsoft and Apple place. Besides adding your own repositories to Linux is easy, how do you do it with Windows?

Are you implying that because he tweeted about something, he's free from being criticized? It has nothing to do with defending Windows 8. I don't agree with what Markus Persson said and I strongly dislike Windows 8. The issue here is that his statements are contradictory.

Sure, everyone can criticize anything, but two FPN articles because of an opinion on a tweet is a bit excesive, more so when one of them goes all the way to call Notch an hypocrite right on the headline.

So much passion over one single guy's opinion about not wanting to certify his app.

And anyway, the post I was replying to was talking about a "crybaby with attention needs", which is why I said that it was just a tweet. If he was seeking attention he'd have far wider audience on minecraft.net's front page.

Given the kind of crap I've seen in a lot of Linux software repositories I doubt their quality control is all that stringent. Certainly nothing like the ridiculous limits Microsoft and Apple place. Besides adding your own repositories to Linux is easy, how do you do it with Windows?

One mans junk is another man's treasure. Feel free for example to look at my recent W7 RDP problem - works FINE from ALL linux clients but doesn't work at all from microsoft's official clients! You might think rdesktop is rubbish compared to mstsc but I find it great.

Given the way Neowin's staff almost to a T completely reamed any members that were critical of the 'need to be shot' article I'd say the attitudes of a lot here strike me as being highly hypocritical. It seems there's a general attitude of butthurt around anyone in the industry that doesn't have anything positive to say about Windows 8, and it's starting to make Neowin's editors and staff look just as childish as they claim everyone else is being. These silly wars do no good for anyone.

Given the way Neowin's staff almost to a T completely reamed any members that were critical of the 'need to be shot' article I'd say the attitudes of a lot here strike me as being highly hypocritical. It seems there's a general attitude of butthurt around anyone in the industry that doesn't have anything positive to say about Windows 8, and it's starting to make Neowin's editors and staff look just as childish as they claim everyone else is being. These silly wars do no good for anyone.

Kind of ironic of you calling others butthurt. :rolleyes:

Kind of ironic of you calling others butthurt. :rolleyes:

Even more ironic that you assume that you know me when you don't. I don't have much love for Windows 8 but I don't really care that much, I just find the bitching funny. Asking before assuming makes one look less foolish ;)

There isn't anything particularly redeeming about this kind of response. It is a personal attack hiding behind the fa?ade of some sort of ideological argument that...doesn't really make much sense.

No respect.

So, a central app place with actual quality control should be a welcome change then, so you know the apps don't come with spyware or viruses or backdoors or crap like that.

And what ridiculous limits are you talking about anyway.

I like Windows 8 as an operating system and will be upgrading to it but I think that Notch was completely on the ball about his criticism of the Windows Store and the amount of power it gives Microsoft. We're talking about a company that has historically abused its monopoly position and now they're making a power play to control the entire platform. They'll get to decide what apps appear and get a cut of the profits of every app sold on the Windows Store. We're talking about a company that is being investigated by the EU for breaching an anti-trust agreement - and which has prevented any competing browser engine from running on Windows RT - yet people are suggesting there's nothing to worry about regarding Microsoft's attempt to close off the platform. How long will it be before Microsoft considers traditional X86-64 applications to be a security risk and to start placing more and more restrictions on them? How long until X86-64 apps will be required to be signed and distributed through the Windows Store?

Neowin's original article was way off base and it is sad that so many people agreed with it. Notch is concerned about the future of the platform and he's not the only one.

So, a central app place with actual quality control should be a welcome change then, so you know the apps don't come with spyware or viruses or backdoors or crap like that.

And what ridiculous limits are you talking about anyway.

Just ignore him. He has no clue what he's talking about.

What makes Notch so special? I played a lots of games by people I dont even know but somehow Notch is a driving force in the gameworld because of Minecraft.

Perhaps people should be equally accepting of a government placing cameras in your house for your own protection? I mean, nobody likes getting assaulted or burgled. It obviously wouldn't be abused by the police or the government.

We're talking about a company with a history of anti-trust abuses and they're making a power play to control the entire market and get a percentage of the revenue from every app sold. Even Android allows you to use competing stores, yet Microsoft has blocked that option with Metro apps. Notch is bang on with his criticism.

What makes Notch so special? I played a lots of games by people I dont even know but somehow Notch is a driving force in the gameworld because of Minecraft.

Nothing really special, but he achieved the kind of success most indie game devs would want (both in mindshare and $$$).

Sure, everyone can criticize anything, but two FPN articles because of an opinion on a tweet is a bit excesive, more so when one of them goes all the way to call Notch an hypocrite right on the headline.

So much passion over one single guy's opinion about not wanting to certify his app.

And anyway, the post I was replying to was talking about a "crybaby with attention needs", which is why I said that it was just a tweet. If he was seeking attention he'd have far wider audience on minecraft.net's front page.

Surely you're aware of Markus Persson's notability in today's gaming industry. His opinion carries more weight than the lead developer of Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon. It may have started off with a couple of tweets about certifying Minecraft for Windows 8 but it has grown into something bigger. And this isn't the first time he expressed his seemingly negative views about Windows 8.

Please don't derail this thread with baseless claims. This isn't about being "butthurt" because someone, who happens to be quite popular in the gaming industry, doesn't like Windows 8. This is about that same person making contradictory statements and pretending to be on a mission to maintain the openness of the PC platform.

There isn't anything particularly redeeming about this kind of response. It is a personal attack hiding behind the fa?ade of some sort of ideological argument that...doesn't really make much sense.

No respect.

Agreed.

• Like 2