font sharpness xp/7/8

im using a crt 1024x768@60hz just to compare font sharpness. i have to say XP font rendering is the sharpest.

even after fiddling around with font settings clear type etc i cant get the font to be as sharp as xp in 7 or 8.

can the same sort of rendering be achieved in 7/8 as present in xp?

the sharpness makes a huge difference in eye comfort.

Well, ClearType was never really meant for use with CRT screens. You'd probably get the best results with it turned off.

Also, I think the standard Windows fonts have been updated in Windows 7 and 8, so they look a bit off without ClearType on. Don't quote me on that though.

They are smoother, too. The XP ones have jaggies.

Edit: CRT...mmmkay....I'm an idiot....Just ignore me.... ;)

I need to go get some coffee....lol...

lol dude the 'computer' is softer than the more contrasty + cleaner edges 'my computer' on the crt ;-) but since that is a screenshot capture it shouldnt matter if its the crt im seeing it on.

lol dude the 'computer' is softer than the more contrasty + cleaner edges 'my computer' on the crt ;-) but since that is a screenshot capture it shouldnt matter if its the crt im seeing it on.

Heh...Quoted my post before I made it better. *facepalm* it's one of those Wednesdays. :)

ok i got rid of all traces of font smoothing in windows 7 using the registry entry below. but it doesnt work fully in windows 8. e.g. the screen resolution window in windows 8 still has plenty of text rendered using some smoothing. any ideas with windows 8 smoothing removal?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000000

"FontSmoothing"="0"