• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:15

"I can try the Wireshark thing but what difference is it going to make, i"

You will have PROOF that they are not offering you dns - and can call them on it. Just because your client or router is not showing you that it got them doesn't mean they are not handing them out. Your just assuming they are not until you look at what is actually in the dhcp offer.

You sure you can not set them in your internet settings -- yeah no **** your router should not be using what you setup in dhcp server for dns you hand to clients. Look in the internet settings, post the edit screen on here.

You forgot the simple option of just putting 3rd party firmware on your router, if supported - looking now that allows you to set the dns your router uses ;) Scratch that -- doesn't look like the EA4500 would ever be supported by dd-wrt, which more than likely rules out other 3rd party options as well. Sorry you bought such a crappy router. Your other option is to return the crap that does not support 3rd party and buy something that does ;)

Another option might be to go to standard firmware vs cloud crap
http://homesupport.c.../routers/EA4500

This is the options I get on the Internet Settings

Posted Image

None which apply to me other than Automatic Configuration right?

What is wrong with the EA4500 router, I have used DD-WRT in the past on routers and I just didn't want any of that, I just wanted a router, with nice WiFi speeds that I could setup and leave but this has been a complete nightmare and I don't blame Cisco but my ISP. It isn't Cisco or the Routers fault that my ISP "seems" to be not providing any type of DNS server.

DNS IS provided in modem mode, I'm using one - have you got the latest firmware for the EA4500? Have you tried contacting Cisco?

VM Won't help you because they don't support 3rd Party Routers.

I could plug my PC directly into the SuperHub on Modem Mode and just tell them I am plugged in directly and no DNS servers are being provided. and Yes I would of thought DNS servers would be provided in Modem Mode but from what I see I am not gettting any.

Yes I contacted Cisco too, but they couldn't figure out the issue either, other people use this same router and the SuperHub on Virgin Media and have no issues.

#17 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:20

Well seems like you got a path then -- if your pc is connected to your superhub in modem mode and you don't have dns - contact your ISP about that, maybe there is just something wrong the dhcp scope your getting and there is suppose to be dns - the other post suggest that is the case.

I would look at the dhcp offer just to be 100% sure they are not handing it out.

"I just didn't want any of that"

Didn't want any of what - features that actually make the hardware useful ;) True not everyone need or desires said features, but I would never buy a router hardware that is not supported by 3rd party firmware. Cuz you can be sure the maker is going to stop providing firmware update for this model as soon as they come out with the next model they want you to buy ;)

But if you can run 3rd party, you will have support and fixes, added features for years to come. Not just the 6 month window that maker feels they need to fix MAJOR problems until their next model comes out. You might not need the added feature set today, but what about next week or next month or 6 months from now when you want to do something a bit out of the standard box -- well oh ****, native firmware does not support that option.. Guess go buy a new router so I can do what I want..

So you get to pick dhcp and that its -- that is not very useful if you ask me. What if you DON"T what the router to use their dns server. What if you want to request a longer dhcp lease? Maybe a shorter one? So looks like for example if you want your clients to use your router as dns, but you want that forwarded to say opendns or googledns you don't have the option to do that.

I really could go on and on and on for pages and pages on limitations of native firmware for what is the most basic of functionality.

#18 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:27

Well seems like you got a path then -- if your pc is connected to your superhub in modem mode and you don't have dns - contact your ISP about that, maybe there is just something wrong the dhcp scope your getting and there is suppose to be dns - the other post suggest that is the case.

I would look at the dhcp offer just to be 100% sure they are not handing it out.

If i use router mode on the SuperHub again everything works fine and I have my old IP Address again, on connecting direct to the modem or on the EA4500 i get a new ip address I see at ipchicken.com, are IP Addresses given out based on the device mac address because If i use the clone mac address function and type in the SuperHub's mac address would that give me my old ip address, should I see if that works?

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:30

yeah you could always run in double nat mode if what your saying is true and the dns is hardcoded into the superhub.

You lost me -- why do you want your old IP address back? What does your public IP address matter?

#20 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:34

EA4500 Doesn't support custom firmware IIRC as it uses a Marvell CPU unless the OpenWRT guys got around to it which I doubt...

Anyway if you connect your PC to your superhub that's in modem mode, reboot the superhub and have Windows try get an IP address and DNS automatically and it should work :p

Also yes you can clone your Superhub MAC to get your old ip back.

#21 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:40

yeah you could always run in double nat mode if what your saying is true and the dns is hardcoded into the superhub.

You lost me -- why do you want your old IP address back? What does your public IP address matter?

Because If I turn the SuperHub into Router mode everything else works, I don't know how it all works I am just guessing now and trying anything.

EA4500 Doesn't support custom firmware IIRC as it uses a Marvell CPU unless the OpenWRT guys got around to it which I doubt...

Anyway if you connect your PC to your superhub that's in modem mode, reboot the superhub and have Windows try get an IP address and DNS automatically and it should work :p

Also yes you can clone your Superhub MAC to get your old ip back.

No DNS is provided in Modem Mode and connected directly to my computer. Somethings proper f****d up here.

#22 virtualmadden

virtualmadden

AKA Private Mumbles

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:56

So glad I stayed away from the EA---- line.

Who knows maybe the Modem is still thinking it's a router and since you put it in "Modem Mode" it's creating a wierd untrusted setup where the WAN IP and DNS is being filtered from the router. The modem assigns an internal IP to the router and refuses to pass on DNS. So the only way to resolve the problem is to set internal DNS on the router as well. I think a hard reset of both devices is in order. Hard reset the modem and enable "Modem Mode", then hard reset the router and hook it up. Could be a bad device or borked data in the modems memory.

#23 sava700

sava700

• Phone: nice phone

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:19

This is the biggest pc of **** router I've ever had..I had to get one cause my good dlink died one morning so I figured I'd run to walmart and grab a cheapo to use a few days while I ordered a Asus model to flash WWDRT on but meh I had so many damn issues it wasn't even funny.

They default on IPv6 and THERE IS NOBODY IN MY SIDE OF THE STATE that uses IPv6 yet so that was causing issues right out the gate. Then you had to turn off more defaulted ON features to get anything higher than 100K for wireless download speeds... that was stupid right.

Horrible router - I told the lady at Walmart when I returned it that every single one of them needs to be yanked off the shelves...and yes I flashed new firmware...that infact made it worse.

#24 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:58

I'm in here late but if you can get rid of the EA4500 and replace it with an E4200v1 (probably ebay as it's discontinued) like I have, you're opened up to the world of dd-wrt and other alternative fw. I've never had such a stable router!

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:51

I am connected wired to the router which is why I am so confused, is it possible that the "SuperHub" is not sending the IP to the Cisco router and the Cisco router is thinking its got not internet connectivity because the IP displays 0.0.0.0? I don't know how this stuff works but its acting strange

Just to make absolutely sure, you DID connect the cable from superhub to the "internet" port on the cisco, and not one of the lan ports right ? because if it was conected to the lan ports it woudl explain why the cisco don't have internet IP and why you can still onnect to the internet.

#26 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:34

Before everyone goes blaming the router - so did you do a sniff with your pc, and they are not handing out dns option in dns??

Did you try removing the cloud aspect of the router with the standalone version of the firmware? Then it should not matter that the router can not lookup cloudcisco or whatever its trying to lookup.

#27 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:11

Before everyone goes blaming the router - so did you do a sniff with your pc, and they are not handing out dns option in dns??

Did you try removing the cloud aspect of the router with the standalone version of the firmware? Then it should not matter that the router can not lookup cloudcisco or whatever its trying to lookup.

I will be trying the sniffing thing with wireshark later today with the Modem in Modem mode. Yes I had the version without Cloud installed on the router before, I had the full interface that time because it doesn't rely on Cloud but some features still don't work properly like for some reason its affecting certain Apple services on the Mac.

#28 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:24

So when you were using the standalone version it showed you what your internet IP was? Well WTF are we dicking with the cloud version for then?? Put that back and we can look into what issue you were having with apple services??

Did it dns work in this mode - or were you still not getting dns from ISP? Please post your sniff test with pc connected to modem and doing so we can see the dhcp offer that they are sending you and if it contains dns.

#29 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:52

So when you were using the standalone version it showed you what your internet IP was? Well WTF are we dicking with the cloud version for then?? Put that back and we can look into what issue you were having with apple services??

Did it dns work in this mode - or were you still not getting dns from ISP? Please post your sniff test with pc connected to modem and doing so we can see the dhcp offer that they are sending you and if it contains dns.

No it did not show my IP on the router in the non cloud version too, but according to virgin medias SuperHub page, when it is in Modem Mode the IP Address on routers sometimes do display "0.0.0.0" i don't know why this would happen???

I will reply soon with the sniff test with the superhub on its router mode, and what it shows on its modem mode. Not able to do it right now.

#30 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:36

that makes no sense at all that router would show 0.0.0.0 -- have never ever ever seen anything like that. I looked at that page you linked to and stated that in that mode it would act like a normal docsis 3 cable modem. Well every single cable modem I have ever seen when you connect a router to it -- it shows an IP!

It has to have an IP, so why would it not show it? Seems like a bug in the router firmware if you ask me, but for the life of me can not figure out what it could be - dhcp is standard protocol, not sure what they could be doing that would prevent the router from listing what IP it got.

Someone mentioned something about IPv6 - I wonder if your getting an ipv4-mapped to Ipv6 address.. So something like

::ffff:192.0.2.128 represents the IPv4 address 192.0.2.128

And this is why its not showing the ipv4 address?

So can you do a traceroute while router connected to modem. you won't see the wan side of the route in the listing, but will see the isp hop.. So for example

budman@ubuntu:~$ traceroute 8.8.8.8
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 pfsense.local.lan (192.168.1.253) 3.065 ms 2.995 ms 2.937 ms
2 c-24-13-xxx-1.hsd1.il.comcast.net (24.13.xxx.1) 42.795 ms 42.743 ms 62.447 ms
3 te-1-2-ur07.mtprospect.il.chicago.comcast.net (68.85.131.149) 42.521 ms 47.172 ms 48.200 ms
4 te-8-3-ur08.mtprospect.il.chicago.comcast.net (68.87.231.70) 48.154 ms 48.099 ms 48.012 ms

So you see my router there at 192.168.1.253, then next hop is 24.13.xxx.1

This is my isp gateway. Now when you showed your pc getting an IP it was on a /24 so your IP would have to be somewhere in the /24 that the isp gateway falls into.

After we see the sniff test, another test we could do is if you have hub or switch that can do port mirroring/spanning - you could hook up a pc between your modem and router and sniff the traffic so we would be able to watch the dhcp communication, and then normal traffic and see what IP your router is using - maybe its using a ipv4-mapped IPv6 address for communication to your isp?

I would put the noncloud version of the firmware back on - and we can work out your issues with your apple stuff. Even if you don't see ipv4 address, there really is little reason for router to be able to resolve anything itself - other than it normally uses the dns it got from isp for dnsmasq/forwarding etc. But not really that big of deal to have your clients go directly to an outside public dns, 4.2.2.2, opendns, googledns, etc. Or you could always run your own local dns on your network and have it forward to your isp dns, etc.