problems virgin media superhub

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:16

For anyone else wanting to look or if anyone else who has experienced an issue like this before, I did a Wireshark scan over Teamviewer with BudMan and he can confirm something odd is up and no DNS is being received from my ISP, check log here:

Posted Image

In process of trying to contact Virgin Media my ISP about this.

#32 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 23:25

and the 3rd option may well be, because my ISP has full control over this "SuperHub" firmware, it is so locked down you can't change the DNS yourself when you wish to use your own, I reckon that the reason why DNS servers are not been provided in Modem mode is because the DNS servers are in fact hard coded into the firmware of the SuperHub itself. (Virgin Media can send firmware updates out to the SuperHub whenever they want and it will automatically update once plugged in).

No and here’s why.

In modem mode nothing is hard coded and in fact you don't get DNS and DHCP by the hub in this mode it is at another end point beyond the hub.

As for the hub in router mode having DNS hard coded that could be true however your device will still be able to override what DNS you wish to use.

And that is odd that VM DNS is not being sent out by DHCP.....

#33 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 05 October 2012 - 16:37

No and here’s why.

In modem mode nothing is hard coded and in fact you don't get DNS and DHCP by the hub in this mode it is at another end point beyond the hub.

As for the hub in router mode having DNS hard coded that could be true however your device will still be able to override what DNS you wish to use.

And that is odd that VM DNS is not being sent out by DHCP.....

Yeah very odd, going to be phoning Virgin Monday and try talk to someone who knows there stuff so I can explain to them what the issue is, because I am 1000% sure its not a problem I have as you can see by all the logs I have gathered and checks done advised by BudMan (thank you).

#34 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 89
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:06

"your device will still be able to override what DNS you wish to use."

I don't think your understanding the issue. While I agree with you that when hub in router mode, or he attaches a router to the hub (in modem mode) that clients will use the dns and gateway handed to it by the dhcp server of either the router or the hub in router mode - and that can be set to use whatever dns he wants. This is all fine and good.

His problem is that his router requires it to resolve specific urls by itself, not the clients -- it looks for some ciscocloud.tld to verify its on the internet - and when the ISP (hub in modem mode) does not give the router DNS to use - it thinks its not on the internet because it can not resolve and then get to whatever cisco site its trying to get to.

His ISP per his test of directly connecting his PC to the hub (in modem mode) -- gets an IP and gateway from the ISP dhcp, but NO DNS information is handed out from his ISP dhcp. We have verified that NO dns information is being given out by the ISP.. Which is why his router is having an issue while in cloudmode -- it needs a dns handed to it via dhcp.

If he double natted his connection and put his hub in router mode, and then connected his router his issue would be gone - because the cisco router would use the hub lan IP as its dns - and the hub in router mode would forward to what seems to be a hard coded dns server(s)?? Since clearly his ISP is not handing it out via dhcp.

#35 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:16

What super hub firmware are you on? It's the buggiest pos ever but is usually fine in modem mode... Just tell them it keeps freezing and they should send you a new one

#36 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:24

If he double natted his connection and put his hub in router mode, and then connected his router his issue would be gone - because the cisco router would use the hub lan IP as its dns - and the hub in router mode would forward to what seems to be a hard coded dns server(s)?? Since clearly his ISP is not handing it out via dhcp.

I did consider that but then I might as well really throw away the ea4500 and use this ****ty SuperHub. Plus it has history of corrupting downloads which are something like over 3gb its a complete peice of rubbish.

What super hub firmware are you on? It's the buggiest pos ever but is usually fine in modem mode... Just tell them it keeps freezing and they should send you a new one

r36, I would be on the latest virgin has pushed out as I have rebooted the modem since and the SuperHub auto updates

#37 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 21:03

I'd get your SH replaced, the EA4500 isn't at problem if your PC is having the same issue....

#38 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:56

What does the SH have to do with they are not handing out dns via dhcp -- would not matter what modem he uses.

Its not really a problem, he could always just set dns -- where its a issue is that he can not tell his router what dns to use to lookup the ciscofqdn it wants to lookup. Because its limited to only setting it via dhcp on the wan interface.

I don't get why they don't hand out dns via dhcp - every other isp I have ever seen hands out this info. Why are they not, would seem to be an issue on this scope - because someone else said they are using the same isp and they get dns via dhcp.

#39 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:00

Just FYI if needed, VM DNS servers are 194.168.4.100,194.168.8.100

#40 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:05

What does the SH have to do with they are not handing out dns via dhcp -- would not matter what modem he uses.

Its not really a problem, he could always just set dns -- where its a issue is that he can not tell his router what dns to use to lookup the ciscofqdn it wants to lookup. Because its limited to only setting it via dhcp on the wan interface.

I don't get why they don't hand out dns via dhcp - every other isp I have ever seen hands out this info. Why are they not, would seem to be an issue on this scope - because someone else said they are using the same isp and they get dns via dhcp.

I am not sure how it works myself but I am just guessing and not sure how to explain it either, but I know that Virgin Media has these conditions:

1) If the Mac address is changed of the router or modem, a new IP Address is given out
2) If the old IP Address is not used within 7 days it is released to be reused by someone else

Because when I put the modem back into SuperHub mode, my old IP Address comes back because the SuperHub mac address is different to the EA4500 of course, so as I swap I get the 2 different IP Addresses.

Now the gateway (is that the router that should hand out the DNS?) is my current ip .1 on the end so like IP is 77.98.70.199, gateway is 77.98.70.1 this IP Address displays as a completely different location as to my previous IP Address which is why I was a bit confused as to why FB was saying I am logging in from Walsall which is quite far out.

If I clone the Mac Address of the SuperHub on my EA4500, it should renew or at least use my old IP Address? would this cause it to use a different router and it may get around the issue?

(just to clarify, i am phoning my ISP about it but I will be doing so on Monday, no UK support during weekends)

#41 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:12

I haven't read all the stuff on this but here's my experiances when I was using NTL home/business with the old Ambit 2050 modem; On home it was locked into client mode, you couldn't change it, it would give the IP to whatever was connected but if you just had a switch and 2 PCs it wouldn't work as one PC would get the IP and it'd ignore the other so you had to use a router.
On NTL Business you get the same, but you get 5 IPs and use a switch instead of a router (well you can use a router if you want to share one public IP amongst more than 1 PC) and it'd lock to the MAC address (and you had to use the ACORN site to fully register the MAC to a permanenty public IP).
In both cases the cable modem would dish out the client IP, gateway details, DNS servers, etc.

I know they wanted to replace the ambits because apparently it was easy to get on their system so I'm guessing it's got much harder with the superhub, so hard in fact you can't do much :p

#42 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:04

In both cases the cable modem would dish out the client IP, gateway details, DNS servers, etc.

Cable modems don't dish out the client IP that are WAN IP or the gateway or the DNS servers the cable modem is just a means to convert DOCSIS to Ethernet this applies to any and all cable modems or in the case of the super hub only when its in modem mode.

All client IP that are WAN IP or the gateway or the DNS servers are sent from the gateway from the DHCP at the ISP end.

#43 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:14

I have fixed it and got around the issue behold, full router interface!

Posted Image

I did what I thought might work, I connected my PC directly to my Modem and I used a tool to randomly change my mac address, which forced my Modem to change its IP Address, and behold I got two IPv4 DNS Servers popup on my computer, it looks like Virgin has some issues with its network where some are not handing out any DNS addresses!

I set in the EA4500 "Clone mac address" to Enabled and typed in the Mac address my computer is using, and boom the ea4500 works fully now.

But I am using 77.100.174.* IP Address now and the gateway must be 77.100.174.1 and its handing out DNS addresses, I will wait 2 weeks now and let my other IP Address expire then try turning the Mac address cloning off and see if it hands out a new IP Address and see if that one is working.

Should I still contact my ISP about this because now its working for me I guess it will be harder to solve?

Matt.

#44 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:21

so your clearly coming off a different dhcp scope if your getting a different netblock for your IP before you got a 77.98 address with no dns.

Is it the same dhcp server? Curious before it was 62.253.131.161, I would send the sniffs you did showing that server was not sending dns in its options.

But now that you have it working shouldn't be a problem - I would assume most of their users are using their product for their routers so highly unlikely too many other users running into the issue you found.

#45 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:31

so your clearly coming off a different dhcp scope if your getting a different netblock for your IP before you got a 77.98 address with no dns.

Is it the same dhcp server? Curious before it was 62.253.131.161, I would send the sniffs you did showing that server was not sending dns in its options.

But now that you have it working shouldn't be a problem - I would assume most of their users are using their product for their routers so highly unlikely too many other users running into the issue you found.

Yes I think I am most likely coming from a different dhcp scope now. Must be something somewhere and I am now just contacting a different DHCP server. I'll try my best to contact virgin media and give them the logs too with the IP Address, if they look into it they should see straight away the issue.

EDIT: They only recently just started upgrading my area to support faster speeds so I can only assume somebody has broken something.

Matt.