Cisco Linksys EA4500

problems virgin media superhub

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 16:27

What does the SH have to do with they are not handing out dns via dhcp -- would not matter what modem he uses.

Its not really a problem, he could always just set dns -- where its a issue is that he can not tell his router what dns to use to lookup the ciscofqdn it wants to lookup. Because its limited to only setting it via dhcp on the wan interface.

I don't get why they don't hand out dns via dhcp - every other isp I have ever seen hands out this info. Why are they not, would seem to be an issue on this scope - because someone else said they are using the same isp and they get dns via dhcp.

Because his ISP DOES hand out DNS via DHCP but for some reason he ain't getting it. (I'm on the same ISP)

#47 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 85
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 16:31

Dude -- what part about showing you the actual SNIFF of the traffic from the dhcp.. IT WAS NOT THERE!!

Yes I agree his isp hands it out, he got it when he changed his mac, but was not getting it before - we looked at the dhcp offer from his ISP, no dns in it.

Sorry but sniffs do not lie, there was NO dns option in the offer! Nothing would filter out just specific options in the offer - so his isp was not sending. It is quite easy to forget something on the scope.

#48 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 06 October 2012 - 16:54

Because his ISP DOES hand out DNS via DHCP but for some reason he ain't getting it. (I'm on the same ISP)

Virgin are do provide some sort of DNS via DHCP otherwise nobody would be able to browse the internet when connecting plainly to the Modem... the issue I had was it wasn't being sent, DNS was blank. Your getting correct DNS settings because you will be hitting a different router somewhere else.

Dude -- what part about showing you the actual SNIFF of the traffic from the dhcp.. IT WAS NOT THERE!!

Yes I agree his isp hands it out, he got it when he changed his mac, but was not getting it before - we looked at the dhcp offer from his ISP, no dns in it.

Sorry but sniffs do not lie, there was NO dns option in the offer! Nothing would filter out just specific options in the offer - so his isp was not sending. It is quite easy to forget something on the scope.

I been told on the virgin forums that my post has been flagged for urgent attention and there are techies on there who can actually look at the information so we will hopefully find out Monday.

#49 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 17:31

Dude, what part about VIRGIN GIVES OUT DNS VIA DHCP do you fail to comprehend? Even if it is one misconfigured server, THEY DO IT across the network or are you being deliberately obtuse?

The Superhub is notoriously buggy for corrupted downloads, having broken firmware - the relation being, It could have been a Superhub issue stripping or not picking up the DNS, it really is that crap.

In all likelyhood it's a single misconfigured DHCP server judging from his further updates on the matter.

#50 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:26

Dude, what part about VIRGIN GIVES OUT DNS VIA DHCP do you fail to comprehend? Even if it is one misconfigured server, THEY DO IT across the network or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Thats all is was VM had a misconfigured DHCP server for handing out DNS its likely fixed now so nothing to fail to comprehend because that was the problem and was the point being made.

#51 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 85
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:35

"Superhub issue stripping or not picking up the DNS, it really is that crap."

Sorry dude it doesn't work like that! I don't care how freaking crappy it is, which I believe you when you say its crappy. Sorry it can not strip out options in a dhcp offer packet.. It just can not.

And I agree with you that in general they hand it out - but in this case they were NOT. The SH had nothing to do with the issue. This was clearly shown when he connected his pc and did a sniff of the whole dhcp transaction, discover, offer, request, ack, etc. No dns in the offer! Now in his case he is showing the ack, but he sent me the full file - and we looked at it on his machine via tv, and nope no dns in the offer.

glad he got it sorted. And hope with his trace he posted, they will fix the dhcp scope that was misconfigured for the next guy.

This is exactly how you want troubleshooting issues to go, find the root cause of his problem - in this case no dns in the dhcp offer that his router needs to contact cisco with so it knows its online and can phone home, etc. Find a work around, he changed his mac to use a different scope. Report the problem to the proper place to get it correctly fixed.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!