The iPhone 5 Could Cost You $1,800 A Year

Beyond basic costs any smartphone becomes as expensive as you want it to be. Nobody forces you into buying countless accessories, paid apps, etc.

Agreed. I have an iPhone (since the 3G) and I have never purchased accessories. I have bought apps though.

Beyond basic costs any smartphone becomes as expensive as you want it to be. Nobody forces you into buying countless accessories, paid apps, etc.

Exactly. I've bought an Samsung Galaxy Ace and a cover for it with screen. Nothing more. i usually buy stuff full price, not monthly payments (whenever i can, of course) as the latest can be very costly.

My Galaxy Nexus over 2 years would be half the cost:

Phone: Galaxy Nexus - ?350

Tariff: ?9.90 per month (200mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data)

Total after 2 years:

Phone: ?350

Tariff: ?237.60

Total: ?587.60 ($946.458)

Or ?24.48 per month

Total after 3 years:

Phone: ?350

Tariff: ?356.40

Total: ?706.40 ($1,137.85)

Or ?19.62 per month

Granted we cant really directly compare tariffs or phone, you have more minutes and i have more data, however iPhone 5 prices are about the same now as they were when the 4s was the top iPhone, which is comparable to the Nexus when i got it.

You do end up paying significantly more for the iPhone, however I agree you could easily get a bad contract with another phone and pay a lot more than you need to.

Not sure what you are trying to prove. The launch price of the G-Nex in the UK was ?515 as opposed to ?530 for the iPhone 5. The tariff I have is not an iPhone specific tariff and would apply to any smartphone on that provider. The difference is accessories and apps which I spent all of ?20 on, and you've not disclosed.

Therefore proving two points: 1) the iPhone is not expensive and 2) nobody spends that much on extras

This is complete garbage pricing:

My iPhone 5 will cost me:

Phone ?0

Contract 12x?30 = ?360

Unlimited data = ?0

Unlimited Calls = ?0

Unlimited texts = ?0

Total cost = ?360

Gotta love special price plans (Y)

I would say this is any smart phone right?

With my iphone, I pay

$76 a month total after tax. With that I get 450mins, I don't come near that. I have unlimited Verizon to Verizon calls. I have unlimited texts. I still have unlimited data because I got my iphone before they ended unlimited data.

I bought my otterbox defender on amazon for $25. I bought my extra charger, for $15 off of imore.com I don't buy more than one case.

$912 a year.

Now any smart phone is the same price.

Now with Verizon's new plans to "save customer moneys" would actually cost me 97$ give or take taxes and fees. Hardly saving me any money. When I upgrade in march I'll be paying more.