Question

Posted

Used Win8 for a month or so, like it in general, but most of the time I find myself still using the desktop. I like the idea and design of the Metro apps, however they seem to be annoyingly slow and user-unfriendly. For example, the Mail app can take more than half a minute to launch, while the Office 2010 Outlook takes less than half the time. Also you cannot switch out of the app while waiting for it to start. For desktop apps, if the startup time of a certain app is slow, you can just launch a browser or media player or whatever during the wait. For Metro apps, if you switch out during the startup to browser the web or something, when you switch back, it will still be at the startup screen. So you need to keep staring at the whirling circles when waiting for the Metro app's slow startup. This kind of things make the Metro apps really annoying to use IMHO.
10 people like this

314 answers to this question

Posted

[quote name='farmeunit' timestamp='1351203036' post='595272455']
So we should remove any advanced functionality of all programs because most people don't use it, and expect a third-party alternative?
[/quote]
3rd party is what most of us do anyway.

Posted

If your using the preview version it is not a finished product nor is it complete. And I always stay in desktop because none of the apps are complete or finished yet.

Posted

[quote]3rd party is what most of us do anyway.[/quote]

I think the functionality OR integration tradeoff is extremely detrimental to what Windows 8 could be. For example, look at the task of checking e-mail. We have built-in and integrated Mail and People (address book) apps that lack major basic functionality. The mail app hasn't even achieved feature parity with Outlook Express at this stage, while the People app can't do an online address book search (nor can the Mail app for that matter). There's no folder management in Mail, etc, etc.

On the desktop side, Microsoft has Windows Essentials and Outlook. Both are relatively feature-rich, but don't have the same degree of integration that leverages new features in Windows 8, such as Live tiles. At this stage, users are forced to choose between doing more, and a more seamless, integrated experience. I'm not seeing how this is a great thing.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='NightScreams' timestamp='1351207533' post='595272679']
3rd party is what most of us do anyway.
[/quote]

But why should we have too? I understand if it takes a TON of development time, but not removing stuff for the sake of removing stuff.

Posted

[quote name='farmeunit' timestamp='1351209427' post='595272779']
But why should we have too? I understand if it takes a TON of development time, but not removing stuff for the sake of removing stuff.
[/quote]
meh, why should i have to dress how my employer wants me to? I mean you could apply that to anything in life.

[quote name='Relativity_17' timestamp='1351208092' post='595272705']
I think the functionality OR integration tradeoff is extremely detrimental to what Windows 8 could be. For example, look at the task of checking e-mail. We have built-in and integrated Mail and People (address book) apps that lack major basic functionality. The mail app hasn't even achieved feature parity with Outlook Express at this stage, while the People app can't do an online address book search (nor can the Mail app for that matter). There's no folder management in Mail, etc, etc.

On the desktop side, Microsoft has Windows Essentials and Outlook. Both are relatively feature-rich, but don't have the same degree of integration that leverages new features in Windows 8, such as Live tiles. At this stage, users are forced to choose between doing more, and a more seamless, integrated experience. I'm not seeing how this is a great thing.
[/quote]

people still use email apps?.....in 2012??
oh

Posted

[quote name='NightScreams' timestamp='1351214209' post='595272975']
meh, why should i have to dress how my employer wants me to? I mean you could apply that to anything in life.
[/quote]

Like let's remove airbags because the majority of people don't use them? That makes about as much sense as that argument.

Posted

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1351189568' post='595271941']
Then why do they say they want to make a UI across all devices. 2 of which are touch based devices, tablets and phones. Yes it works with a mouse and keyboard but over all the OS was built for touch, which is why the SAME OS is put on tablets and the same UI on phones.

[b]So it's not a tablet OS? ... lets ask the question. If the iPad never happened and if Microsoft wasn't going enter the tablet Market, do you really think they would be using this same touch friendly UI? NOOOO!!!!! Thus Windows 8 is a Tablet OS.[/b]
[/quote]
True, if it was not for the iPad, Microsoft would have never made Windows XP tablet edition.

Posted

[quote name='farmeunit' timestamp='1351214353' post='595272981']
Like let's remove airbags because the majority of people don't use them? That makes about as much sense as that argument.
[/quote]

Life safety device is not a very good anology. But yes we do use them..for safety just in case purposes. but fail anology.

Posted

oh
[/quote]

What else should I use, crappy web apps, for my two different unique domain mails, gmail and some other stuff.... Seems convenient...

Posted

[/quote]

I have multiple e-mail accounts from different providers; registration use, private/personal, and professional. Am I supposed to sit at my browser with several tabs open and hit refresh over and over again to check for new messages? My job e-mail has an absurdly useless web interface, both for browsing as well as searching content and LDAP entries. Am I supposed to memorize the content and arrival date of every piece of e-mail that I've received in that account in the last four years, instead of letting my e-mail program gather everything together and create a local search index?

Yeah, web interfaces are fine and dandy if you have one or a couple accounts that happen sit on a feature-rich server. Out in the real world, sometimes you get assigned an account that you have to use whose web frontend and features seem like they were coded in 1996.

Posted

Another thing I'd like to see changed is when there are updates for the apps you get to see a changelog for them.

I've just had 5 apps say they have updates but I've no idea what's changed.

Posted

[quote name='NightScreams' timestamp='1351216169' post='595273057']
Life safety device is not a very good anology. But yes we do use them..for safety just in case purposes. but fail anology.
[/quote]

Cause your analogy was any better? You get PAID to WORK for your employer. You SHOULD be wearing whatever you're asked to. Just as we are PAYING Microsoft to WORK for us. If you're going to claim "fail analogy", you should probably learn to use proper ones yourself.

Posted

[quote name='unabatedshagie' timestamp='1351267608' post='595274349']
Another thing I'd like to see changed is when there are updates for the apps you get to see a changelog for them.

[/quote]
You have to go to the apps's page to view it. From the updates page, select just one app, and select 'View details'. It sucks when you have a bunch of updates.

Posted

[quote name='unabatedshagie' timestamp='1351267608' post='595274349']

[/quote]

If the News app is any indicator, then it is safe to assume that all updates will bring less content and more ads.