Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#166 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:35

Then go delete your collection and use the terrible apps (since it not only works good, but great). The rest of us realize this doesn't hold a candle to the Zune software or even WP7 and all your posts are just a distraction from that simple fact.

#167 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:41

Again, if the built in apps that are built for regular users and users who just want to organize and play their music, you can still download foobar which you would even if they had an app as advanced as the old WMP.

#168 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:45

Yet Brandon just said that he, as a large collector, thinks its just great.

Foobar? Who uses foobar? Zune is the benchmark. (Though since you put it that way, if I was delusional enough to think that foobar is a good product, then the built-in might seem passable). Thankfully, I don't.

#169 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:51

Yet Brandon just said that he, as a large collector, thinks its just great.

Foobar? Who uses foobar? Zune is the benchmark. (Though since you put it that way, if I was delusional enough to think that foobar is a good product, then the built-in might seem passable). Thankfully, I don't.

And? When did I say the music app didn't work with large collections? It works fine with mine.

If I wanted something more advanced foobar is the way to go, fully customizable, I can set up my view as I want, I can have one panel with folder view and one with artist/album view, very handy when fixing tags. Sound quality is unparalleled and while I like Zune and the music player, it's media management is better than anything else and if it doesn't work as you want it, you can customize it to perfection.

#170 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:56

Are you a heavy playlist user like me?

I have an 80GB collection (about 15,000 files). Works great. But to be honest, the vast majority of my music playback is streaming / SmartDJ / etc. That goes for my PCs and my phone.

#171 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:05

Well they definitely need to sort out all the crashing, most 3rd party apps don't launch after the first time and just crash back to the start screen. Useless.

So apparently it is Microsoft's fault that third party applications are crashing? If the crashing is so wide spread how come we don't see a media circus around it - maybe it is just your installation?

#172 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:14

The rest of us realize

Please do not presume to speak for us.

Signed,
The Rest of Us.

#173 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:33

FooBar, rubbish?
I think you need your head retuning. FooBar's perfect for loads of people and devices and uses very little system resources. Although you having a pretty powerful PC compared to say an embedded system wouldn't really care less that you're using way more power or anything.

#174 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:55

So apparently it is Microsoft's fault that third party applications are crashing? If the crashing is so wide spread how come we don't see a media circus around it - maybe it is just your installation?

Yeah, why don't we hear about the issues with a to be released OS in the general media? /s

#175 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:00

Yeah, why don't we hear about the issues with a to be released OS in the general media? /s

Because the RTM is already out there and if there was a major issue then guess what - we'd be hearing about it by the early adopters.

How about reading the post, thinking about it and the before you even write a reply consider asking yourself whether what you're going to write makes any sense what so ever.

#176 Munroe

Munroe

Neowinian

Posted 14 October 2012 - 15:30

Used Win8 for a month or so, like it in general, but most of the time I find myself still using the desktop. I like the idea and design of the Metro apps, however they seem to be annoyingly slow and user-unfriendly. For example, the Mail app can take more than half a minute to launch, while the Office 2010 Outlook takes less than half the time. Also you cannot switch out of the app while waiting for it to start. For desktop apps, if the startup time of a certain app is slow, you can just launch a browser or media player or whatever during the wait. For Metro apps, if you switch out during the startup to browser the web or something, when you switch back, it will still be at the startup screen. So you need to keep staring at the whirling circles when waiting for the Metro app's slow startup. This kind of things make the Metro apps really annoying to use IMHO.

Read through the posts and thought I'd give my rtm version a test and see how quickly apps start up. Using win 7 on my main desktop but win8 on my laptop (Athlon II dual core, 2.1GHz, 4Gb Ram, 64-bit, so not great), the mail app took 2 seconds, no exageration, shut it down and launched it again, as soon as I launched it quickly went back to start and launched another app (music) which took between 2 and 3 seconds. Switched back to mail and it had fully launched so multi-tasking does occur. So not sure what's occuring with your software.

Overall I'm liking Win8, need to get used to it more and all the different/new features but that doesn't mean it should be rated badly for being different compared to win7.

There are few things that could do with improving, like a seperate volume control for music.

Trying to connect to Flickr from the photos app seems to be a mess, it attempts to fit the web page into the small space on screen and it just doesn't look very good.

Someone else mentioned about mail app not highlighting new messages in other folders, luckily I don't have that issue, however with mail and new outlook email address, from the web browser version of Outlook you can change the "from" email address e.g I have one @msn.com and an @outlook.com both tied to the same account and you're able to select which one to send from, the mail app doesn't seem to allow that unfortunately.

#177 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:19

Because the RTM is already out there and if there was a major issue then guess what - we'd be hearing about it by the early adopters.

It is for the general public? Must have missed the news...

How about reading the post, thinking about it and the before you even write a reply consider asking yourself whether what you're going to write makes any sense what so ever.

How about you understanding what "general media" means? Who apart from techies actually knows that Win8 has hit RTM? Close to nobody!? Right, so your point was exactly what again?

#178 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 14 October 2012 - 21:57

Read through the posts and thought I'd give my rtm version a test and see how quickly apps start up. Using win 7 on my main desktop but win8 on my laptop (Athlon II dual core, 2.1GHz, 4Gb Ram, 64-bit, so not great), the mail app took 2 seconds, no exageration, shut it down and launched it again, as soon as I launched it quickly went back to start and launched another app (music) which took between 2 and 3 seconds. Switched back to mail and it had fully launched so multi-tasking does occur. So not sure what's occuring with your software.

That's around 2-3 seconds too long. I can start WMP and MPC faster. I don't have a mail client on my desktop, but I can start the android mail client in less time. Same with the google play music and vlc. It's sad when a phone can open these things faster than a win8 PC can.

#179 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:11

Please do not presume to speak for us.

I was merely speaking generally. Unless you really think the Music app is better than Zune. Pray tell.

#180 micro

micro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:18

They suck bad. I think part of the problem is that developers are making these RT apps for tablets when they dont even have the tablets to actually deploy and test on..

I dont have any hope for RT. However I love WP7 and Look forward to WP8.