Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#181 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:27

FooBar, rubbish?
I think you need your head retuning. FooBar's perfect for loads of people and devices and uses very little system resources. Although you having a pretty powerful PC compared to say an embedded system wouldn't really care less that you're using way more power or anything.

+1 Foobar! Love at first sight. :wub:

#182 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 15 October 2012 - 16:37

That's around 2-3 seconds too long. I can start WMP and MPC faster. I don't have a mail client on my desktop, but I can start the android mail client in less time. Same with the google play music and vlc. It's sad when a phone can open these things faster than a win8 PC can.

Even on a slow machine, only a cold launch should take more than a second. After that, you should be able to switch to it instantaneously, even on the slowest of machines.

#183 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 15 October 2012 - 17:03

Even on a slow machine, only a cold launch should take more than a second. After that, you should be able to switch to it instantaneously, even on the slowest of machines.

Why is it that when you scroll rapidly through a list of items like songs in Music or Mail that the content blanks out and shows nothing but grey boxes?

#184 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 15 October 2012 - 18:34

Even on a slow machine, only a cold launch should take more than a second.

Well, if you look up, there's another poster claiming that it takes 2-3 seconds to start a metro app. I also back that figure.

#185 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:39

I wish the mail app had a quick view like Live Mail though, so I coudl see all my inboxes and all my unread mail in one place without checking each account. then it'd probably replace my live mail.

#186 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:44

But the point is they are ridiculously slow to open on first use to the point where I've given up on Metro apps.

Desktop apps don't have this problem and there is a huge difference between the 2. I don't really understand why this is as it doesn't seem like there is this issue on Windows Phone.

#187 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2012 - 19:44

So apparently it is Microsoft's fault that third party applications are crashing? If the crashing is so wide spread how come we don't see a media circus around it - maybe it is just your installation?

Yep, its their fault for not properly testing the apps before approving them.

#188 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 16 October 2012 - 17:29

Well, if you look up, there's another poster claiming that it takes 2-3 seconds to start a metro app. I also back that figure.

But that's only a cold launch (i.e. after a reboot) and on a slower machine, right? Once you've run it once, the app will be suspended and switching back to it should be instantaneous.

Of course, on a fast machine even the cold launch should be under a second, although some apps show splash screens with progress indicators while downloading content from a server, making them subject to network conditions.

#189 AngryTomato

AngryTomato

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:49

Got another updates for News, Weather, Maps, Finance & Travelling apps today. There seems to be in-app advertisement now?
Build numbers jumped from 1.5.0.190 to 1.5.1.248 (except for maps app - that buld number was 1.5.0.222, jumped to 1.5.1.240)

#190 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:58

Apps which lack any feedback generally suck - as win8 never released yet, its a good chance it will take a year for 'metro' apps to really catch on and be optimized in their utilization.

#191 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:16

Got another updates for News, Weather, Maps, Finance & Travelling apps today. There seems to be in-app advertisement now?
Build numbers jumped from 1.5.0.190 to 1.5.1.248 (except for maps app - that buld number was 1.5.0.222, jumped to 1.5.1.240)

Not sure if other people have seen this issue, but I've set a custom time format in Windows, and the apps have previously not been able to handle those formats. For instance, the Weather app wouldn't display hour labels in the hourly forecast section. This issue seems to have been fixed.

#192 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 17 October 2012 - 00:35

But that's only a cold launch (i.e. after a reboot) and on a slower machine, right? Once you've run it once, the app will be suspended and switching back to it should be instantaneous.

Well, duh. App switching is instant in desktop too. We're talking about first start performance here, where metro apps seem to have a disadvantage. Also, if you do the drag down to close an app, the opening time goes back up...

#193 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 00:49

Well, duh. App switching is instant in desktop too. We're talking about first start performance here, where metro apps seem to have a disadvantage. Also, if you do the drag down to close an app, the opening time goes back up...

IME recently closed apps open in about half the time as they do immediately out of rebooting the computer.

#194 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:03

Well, duh. App switching is instant in desktop too. We're talking about first start performance here, where metro apps seem to have a disadvantage.

I see quite the opposite (on slower devices). On my faster machines they're all (desktop or Store apps) instantaneous regardless of whether they're running or not.

Also, if you do the drag down to close an app, the opening time goes back up...

So don't do that?

#195 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2012 - 19:26

you guys must really be in a rush to worry about a few short seconds. I'd hate to see you all drive.