Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#271 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 October 2012 - 17:13

The problem I'm having with Metro apps (besides not knowing what to call them ["Moddern"?]) is the UI guidelines for them are terrible.

The Wikipedia app is a perfect example. Every time you want to search, you have to go to the charms bar. Even on a tablet that would be obnoxious.

No you don't it's exactly the same as the start screen. Just start typing and it'll bring search up for you.

#272 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 23 October 2012 - 17:49

(Technically it doesn't wait for you to stop scrolling, but the way they've designed it it will attempt to render everything you scroll past and then, even if you scroll past vast sections of list you don't care about and never see that list item - everything gets rendered in order. So when you stop scrolling, it's still busy trying to render everything you've scrolled past - then getting ridding of them and rendering the next bits of data in the list until it finally reaches where you've stopped - largely wasteful but there are reasons why they don't do otherwise. On a faster processor it's likely it'll catch up with you whilst you're scrolling, but I hold out no hope for WinRT tablets being able to keep up, nor lower powered Intel Atom tablets. It doesn't help that whilst scrolling, the rendering part of it becomes a lower priority process, because keeping the scrolling smooth is more important from a usability point of view so more CPU power is spent keeping the scrolling animations smooth.)

They do need to do it for RAM and disk access reasons, but I really don't see why they forced themselves to use HTML & JS for all internal Microsoft applications, when there are times where XAML is clearly a better and more performant fit.

The performance is roughly the same on my antiquated laptop (T7500 with an Nvidia 8600M GT) as it is on my home machine (X3 435, Nvidia GTX 560Ti). Neither are top of the line machines, but they're also solid performers. Both fail to load content as fast as the mouse scrolls; it's really pretty sad.

In its current state, Windows 8 feels like it's about 90% there. I like a lot of the new features, and overall performance is pretty nice. You still bump into glaring failures though, on a daily basis; from the App store not being able to count updates (the Live Tile and text at the top corner say 7, the app only lists 5), to scrolling content that disappears, to the Mail app that always announces that it has failed to access my IMAP account, even though it still syncs messages... It's like knowing the world's fastest 100 m dasher who falls one out of every ten sprints and doesn't know how to tie his shoelaces.

#273 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 October 2012 - 18:13

Since the latest update to Solitaire it is now regularly locking up, forcing me to restart the app. The Challenge Of The Day system is also incredibly slow, as it seems to check online every time you try to load the challenges from a previous day. Given how much Solitaire is used by the average user Microsoft needs to ensure that it's rock solid, as there simply isn't any excuse for it to be so unstable.

#274 AngelGraves13

AngelGraves13

Neowinian

Posted 23 October 2012 - 20:23

Not a single useful app yet besides eBay. It still takes longer to load than just opening it with Chrome. Makes checking my email and using eBay way too complicated. Haven't really used it a lot.

#275 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 October 2012 - 00:36

Not a single useful app yet besides eBay. It still takes longer to load than just opening it with Chrome. Makes checking my email and using eBay way too complicated. Haven't really used it a lot.

Yeah, I don't understand the load times. Conventional apps load in a fraction of the time and have much greater functionality.

#276 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:31

Yeah, I don't understand the load times. Conventional apps load in a fraction of the time and have much greater functionality.

some are fast some arent.... the accuweather, the maps app and the Inrix Traffic app are the only ones that load fast that I have.

#277 Deihmos

Deihmos

Neowinian

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:03

Yes I realized the apps are just so bad. Those early adopters are going to be very disappointed. Even Android has much better apps than what Windows 8 has to offer. Even the built in apps I find to be kind of limiting and ugly. Overall I am not a fan of the design.

#278 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 24 October 2012 - 13:34

Most apps have to authenticate you to an external site. So it will take time no matter what. Also you can disable animations to load them up even faster as well.

#279 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 October 2012 - 15:52

Yes I realized the apps are just so bad. Those early adopters are going to be very disappointed. Even Android has much better apps than what Windows 8 has to offer. Even the built in apps I find to be kind of limiting and ugly. Overall I am not a fan of the design.

Many early adopters, for whatever platform are always disappointed. The first months of the Google store or Apple Apps store seen their share of fart and other low quality apps....

Like anything, we will have to give it some time. Still, I'd be ****ed to be a Surface RT user and having only what's available to play with....

#280 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 25 October 2012 - 00:43

Even Android has much better apps than what Windows 8 has to offer.

says the guy who compares an OS that's been around for 4 whole years VS an OS that's still a couple days away from official release. Give it some time, sheesh.

#281 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:07

Android has tablet apps that are actually meant for tablets? :p

#282 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:46

Android has tablet apps that are actually meant for tablets? :p

Yeah...like maybe three of them :D

#283 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:42

I originally posted this in another thread but I guess it belongs here.

I just realised last night that you can't have a Windows 8 app open on both of your monitors at the same time.

Kind of a silly design choice IMO.

#284 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 25 October 2012 - 14:22

Yeah...like maybe three of them :D

which 3?

#285 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 18:16

I originally posted this in another thread but I guess it belongs here.

I just realised last night that you can't have a Windows 8 app open on both of your monitors at the same time.

Kind of a silly design choice IMO.

its a tablet OS, tablets only have one minitor