Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

I think the major mistake here is that the Music app doesn't immediately take you to your music. The splash screen yields to...ads. Microsoft, HELLO? You're presenting a method to BUY content when the user wants to PLAY content. By default. What other application dumps you into the middle of a scrollable page to in order to hide the content that the user first wants to get to? How much sense is there in loading up Neowin and having your browser default-jump you to the middle of the page? Ever open a book to find that the first printed page is number 173? Do you ever open your fridge and want to dig through a pile of coupon books in order to get to your food?

You're working from the assumption that most people have a bunch of music on their hard drives, versus just wanting to stream something.

You're working from the assumption that most people have a bunch of music on their hard drives,

Is that a bad assumption?

versus just wanting to stream something.

which only works after setting up an account and handing over money, right?

• Like 3

Is that a bad assumption?

Considering many just have music on their MP3 players and smartphones today, yes.

Considering many just have music on their MP3 players and smartphones today, yes.

In that case, why would people not transfer the music back to their main computer (services like the iTunes Store even offer to do so automatically over the air when you buy a song on a mobile device)? Saves you from paying multiple times for music you already own, doesn't it?

Does the music app not have it's own independent volume slider? The only one I found changes the system wide volume and metro apps don't seem to get included into the sound mixer list of applications.

In that case, why would people not transfer the music back to their main computer (services like the iTunes Store even offer to do so automatically over the air when you buy a song on a mobile device)? Saves you from paying multiple times for music you already own, doesn't it?

Spotify, Wimp, Zu... Xbox Music Pass, Rdio, Pandora,....

Because people don't buy music anymore, they rather pay a small monthly fee to listen to ALL the music they want.

Out of interest, do you have a source for that? I certainly wasn't aware that already the majority of the music business revenue came from streaming services.

This is what I found using a quick Google search:

Warner Music Group says streaming services contributed 25 percent of the digital revenue that its ?recorded music? group saw last quarter. That works out to be about $54 million, or about 8 percent of Warner?s total revenue for the period.

You see, Windows 8 "fanboys" are telling the truth, and that guy is trolling/lying.

Kinda describes the behaviour of many Windows 8 haters on most forum posts and comments.

There's one big problem with your... "theory", that I actually love Windows 8 in general and find myself using it a lot more than Windows 7 now. Heck, I have switched my main working environment from Win7 to Win8 already, and right now typing this post from Win8. So there's a big logical loophole in your little... "theory". :shiftyninja:

Unless OP has a Pentium 4 with 512MB, a very old IDE HDD and a 56K internet modem, I call shennanigans on this thread.

My company notebook is a Dell E5400, and it runs the desktop environment of Win8 a lot smoother than Win7 from my experience. You can call whatever you want, just that it seems that you are the trolling/lying one here. :/

Out of interest, do you have a source for that? I certainly wasn't aware that already the majority of the music business revenue came from streaming services.

This is what I found using a quick Google search:

There's one very important thing missing from that. That value is absolutely useless to prove what you want into, in fact it's more proving my point.

Steaming services like spotify provide extremely little return for each listen. In fact a few small niche labels have pulled out of streaming because several million streams yield so little, we're not even talking a couple hundred. At the same time the bigger ones recognize that this is the future, and they can't pull out because it's where future profits lie, even if its far less the selling albums and singles.

So 25% of their revenue from streaming means the majority of their music is "sold" through streaming.

Where should I be storing the songs I get to keep from Zune Pass every month for then? Such presumptive arrogance.

What's wrong with the music app?

There's one very important thing missing from that. That value is absolutely useless to prove what you want into, in fact it's more proving my point.

Steaming services like spotify provide extremely little return for each listen. In fact a few small niche labels have pulled out of streaming because several million streams yield so little, we're not even talking a couple hundred. At the same time the bigger ones recognize that this is the future, and they can't pull out because it's where future profits lie, even if its far less the selling albums and singles.

So 25% of their revenue from streaming means the majority of their music is "sold" through streaming.

It's not "25% of their revenue". It's 25% of Warner's "digital revenue". Physical CD sales still make up the majority of the sales as far as I'm aware. Downloads may or may not have recently caught up with that. In any case, while even the 25% (of digital revenue) were a surprise to me, there's nothing for me to prove here. You're the one who claimed that "people don't buy music anymore" and would rather pay a monthly fee. I was asking you to substantiate that claim. So far, you've failed to do so.

Regarding the music app discussion so far, I'm just glad they gave an option to switch the default page to my own locally stored music. I don't have the inclination to subscribe to a music streaming service, as I dislike advertisements, and lack the financial wherewithal, but I understand that is the growing trend now, and acknowledge its advantages.

It's not "25% of their revenue". It's 25% of Warner's "digital revenue". Physical CD sales still make up the majority of the sales as far as I'm aware. Downloads may or may not have recently caught up with that. In any case, while even the 25% (of digital revenue) were a surprise to me, there's nothing for me to prove here. You're the one who claimed that "people don't buy music anymore" and would rather pay a monthly fee. I was asking you to substantiate that claim. So far, you've failed to do so.

Digital revenue or not my point still stands.

people don't buy music anymore, they rather pay a small monthly fee to listen to ALL the music they want.

Digital revenue or not my point still stands.

People still buy (and own previously bought) music. Most would rather not pay a monthly fee to gain access to music they've already bought and paid for.

Again - the result of my quick Google search was just posted to give you at least some (certainly not enough) ground to stand on. You've yet to substantiate your claim.

People still buy (and own previously bought) music. Most would rather not pay a monthly fee to gain access to music they've already bought and paid for.

Again - the result of my quick Google search was just posted to give you at least some (certainly not enough) ground to stand on. You've yet to substantiate your claim.

Again, the point is you're using most and using a value with no meaning to prove that most still buy.

We already know few buys discs anymore and buy digitally, music stores are closing en masse or converting to media stores and now sell more games and blurays than music. And even those are rapidly getting extinct. so Digital is the value to look at.

But again, looking at revenue and saying digital sales have higher revenue percentage than streaming means nothing, since streaming makes so little per listen. Sp yes, the fact that a massive 25% of their digital revenue comes from streaming with the low near nothing payback they get from streaming means that the majority of people now streams music rather than buying. it just so happens that people buying music in digital singles or albums makes the industry about 10-100 times more money than streaming. The income from streaming is so low the economic validity of it has and is questioned regularly. especially when the income has to be split sp many ways and there's so little to split in the first place.

Even with the new system on spotify with limited time for ad supported listenign more and longer ads. ad supported users are pure loss for spotify.

Again, the point is you're using most and using a value with no meaning to prove that most still buy.

We already know few buys discs anymore and buy digitally, music stores are closing en masse or converting to media stores and now sell more games and blurays than music. And even those are rapidly getting extinct. so Digital is the value to look at.

But again, looking at revenue and saying digital sales have higher revenue percentage than streaming means nothing, since streaming makes so little per listen. Sp yes, the fact that a massive 25% of their digital revenue comes from streaming with the low near nothing payback they get from streaming means that the majority of people now streams music rather than buying. it just so happens that people buying music in digital singles or albums makes the industry about 10-100 times more money than streaming. The income from streaming is so low the economic validity of it has and is questioned regularly. especially when the income has to be split sp many ways and there's so little to split in the first place.

Even with the new system on spotify with limited time for ad supported listenign more and longer ads. ad supported users are pure loss for spotify.

Although I do believe streaming has seen an increase, I don't for a second believe it's anywhere near where you're making it sound to be. You're welcome to prove otherwise however. People still download their music above streaming. I can count on 3 fingers the people I know that stream rather than use their vast collection of downloaded music that they have effortlessly copied from their computer to their media players (including CD's, iPods, iPads, smartphones etc). You're inflating the use of streaming. You are correct with your statement on the low income it generates, but streaming has not become mainstream and we're far far away from it reaching that point.

Part of the reason for that is a lot of services don't even let you choose what you listen to with such a small monthly fee, you have to pay a premium to get features like skipping tracks, ads or manually choosing a song/artist. I personally have a Slacker Radio account with an active membership. As much as I enjoy hooking my phone up to my car stereo and using the service, it's far from perfect and I definitely don't recommend such services to my friends/family. At least not yet in it's current state and they come to me for tech advice.

You're working from the assumption that most people have a bunch of music on their hard drives, versus just wanting to stream something.

Looks like Steve "The annoying car salesman" Ballmer knows a thing or two about brainwashing.

• Like 2

Many can tell you otherwise. I have 250GB of music. There's people that would think that that is a puny tiny and "not a collection" by thier standards... there are people that have double digit TERABYTES of music. Imgine those users that try to use the metro music app.

Did the people at MS try HUGE collections like those?

• Like 1

Welcome to Windows 8, the soon to be most epic fail ever for desktop users.

And your not alone mate, that above is the reason most users won't go near it. Hell, a good 90% of the people I know will be sticking with Windows 7 simply because of how much of a mess 8 is for desktop users.

Your not multitasking it right.

Gah! I can't take it any more - it's you're not your!

I've been using Windows 8 for a couple months now, the last time I opened a Metro app was the first week. I just go directly into Desktop mode and it suddenly becomes a pretty nice operating system.