Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#76 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:44

Is there any way to add an LDAP account to any of these bundled apps?

#77 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:51

Most of them are crap yes, the mail one is just about usable however it's still annoying.

#78 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:55

Another point: can't seem to remove Mail, Messaging, Calendar, and People individually. They're all either there or they're all gone.

Which is annoying as I would like to use all but Messaging, but it keeps insisting on signing me into Messaging when I want to use another IM client.

#79 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:56

The Marketplace is home for Metro and Desktop apps (I don't know why Desktop, especially since you can't buy them from the store, they redirect you to the company website). And like the iOS Apps Store and Google Play store, many of the apps are crap or useless, but sometime, you find a gem that's worth it.

The included Metro Apps in Win8 are going to get better with further update. Should be better than waiting for a Service Pack...

I think we have to give it some time.

#80 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:58

The Marketplace is home for Metro and Desktop apps (I don't know why Desktop, especially since you can't buy them from the store, they redirect you to the company website). And like the iOS Apps Store and Google Play store, many of the apps are crap or useless, but sometime, you find a gem that's worth it.

The included Metro Apps in Win8 are going to get better with further update. Should be better than waiting for a Service Pack...

I think we have to give it some time.

For the sake of W8 adoption, I sure hope that the majority of app issues are addressed in this next set of updates scheduled to hit before GA. It seems that a lot of early adopters have been left with a bad taste in their mouths over the general reliability and usability of the apps, and if the status quo persists, the general consumer is not going to develop any better an impression.

#81 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 08 October 2012 - 21:59

I really want to use the Metro apps. I've even connected my Blackberry (without Data) to MS Office Outlook to Microsoft Account to Facebook in a kind of sync-loop, because I want to be able to make changes in one and have them propagate to the built-in apps. But they have so many quirks that make them hard to use!

Messaging:
- Half the messages from Facebook don't appear
- Shows FB contacts as offline (and won't receive messages from them) even if they are online on the main site and sending messages

Mail:
- Won't notify of new messages in folders other than Inbox
- Refused to download the attachment in a mail. Office Outlook downloaded it fine.

Music:
- No autoplaylists (my biggest issue, this was how I organized music)
- No independent volume control. It's either loud music or quiet system sounds.

Reader:
- Font rendering isn't as crisp as Adobe Reader
- No fit-to-screen option?

People:
- Reads information about me from the Microsoft Account instead of Facebook account and my contact card in Office Outlook
- FB feed late to update

Video:
- Seriously? No Custom filters? No MKV?
- <see Music>

Windows 8
- Half half snap please

I've brought up the complaints with the music app before, and I've gotten that it's 'by design'. Simplified by design I can accept. Crippled by design? Not so much. It seems that Microsoft is being lazy, thinking that if we don't like the Metro, we can just use desktop apps. This is creating experience segregation, which I thought they didn't want with Windows 8.

I don't think ANY of these Modern UI apps are meant to replace their big brother Desktop Versions.. only supply a touchscreen/tablet PC or user that has simple needs with a means to do something quickly and efficiently with the hardware. So by all means, you should continue to use the desktop version of the apps that do exactly all of those things they already do that you use...

TLDR: Don't try to replace your desktops apps with Modern UI apps.

#82 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:10

I don't think ANY of these Modern UI apps are meant to replace their big brother Desktop Versions.. only supply a touchscreen/tablet PC or user that has simple needs with a means to do something quickly and efficiently with the hardware. So by all means, you should continue to use the desktop version of the apps that do exactly all of those things they already do that you use...

Why? If the Metro Apps were as good and complete as the desktop apps, we would no longer need to live in both world. And Metro Apps NEED to get better, remember Windows RT? Those tablet are not going to be able to run Desktop Apps (except for Office).

If Microsoft plan on just making "barely useful" Metro Apps, well, I don't see Surface RT having much chance in the market. Apple (iOS dev) and Google (Android devs) are not aiming for low quality simple apps on their tablet.

#83 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:13

Why? If the Metro Apps were as good and complete as the desktop apps, we would no longer need to live in both world. And Metro Apps NEED to get better, remember Windows RT? Those tablet are not going to be able to run Desktop Apps (except for Office).

If Microsoft plan on just making "barely useful" Metro Apps, well, I don't see Surface RT having much chance in the market. Apple (iOS dev) and Google (Android devs) are not aiming for low quality simple apps on their tablet.

1: Window RT isn't meant to be a standard Laptop replacement

2: Surface RT isn't in the "market" of competing with full fledged x86 apps, hence why MS is releasing a Windows Surface and Windows Surface Pro.. MS recognized this and acted accordingly.

#84 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:20

The apps are not good enough to stand alone at this point, whether you're on a tablet or the desktop. Gotta e-mail someone in your org whose e-mail address you need to look up? If you're on the desktop, sigh and fire up Outlook to perform the LDAP search. On Windows RT? Whoops, guess you don't need that feature.

If Microsoft is looking at apps as supplements to desktop applications rather than standalone, fully functional programs, then they're going to be feeling a world of hurt as Windows RT tablets face off against more mature platforms like iPads and Android tablets.

#85 xendrome

xendrome

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:24

The apps are not good enough to stand alone at this point, whether you're on a tablet or the desktop. Gotta e-mail someone in your org whose e-mail address you need to look up? If you're on the desktop, sigh and fire up Outlook to perform the LDAP search. On Windows RT? Whoops, guess you don't need that feature.

If Microsoft is looking at apps as supplements to desktop applications rather than standalone, fully functional programs, then they're going to be feeling a world of hurt as Windows RT tablets face off against more mature platforms like iPads and Android tablets.

In Mail, I have my Exchange account setup.... I start typing a name, and it says "Search blahblah Directory" with my exchange address below it, I click that and bam, it shows all the contacts in our Exchange OAB/GAL. Just FYI.

And I wouldn't compare ANY of the iPad and Android apps to Desktop apps either.. Plus these are default apps that come with the system, there will be plenty of 3rd party alternatives with more features.. It's like when Windows shipped with Wordpad.. well you don't have to use it, you can buy/download any of the other various other Word Processors/Suites out there that are better.

#86 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:30

The point of Microsoft creating Windows 8 in the first place is to unify the interface of desktop and mobile users so that it could leverage its desktop power in the tablet space. That means we all get the start screen. We all get the same apps that sync to our data over the cloud. We get the same experience across all our devices.

People hated the fact that we got a tablet interface shoved onto our desktops. Me? I don't mind. I just don't want a half-baked any-sort-of-interface. Why should I have to use Outlook to receive attachments if the Mail app worked properly at all? What if I'm on an RT tablet and I have to use this broken Mail app? Wouldn't it be better if I could just use the Mail app on both my desktop and tablet so I can get used to an interface?

Microsoft wants us to use Metro apps in order to create this unified experience. The desktop is for backwards compatibility, not for the future. By forcing me to look at the desktop for things that Metro should provide, they are defeating this goal of unification.

#87 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:40

Power user and tech geek are two different things. Power user's need things to work and work well without tweaking things or "working around" functionality. If you're used to doing things a way it's hard to change, and you have to be able to justify that change. For some people Win 8 will disrupt their workflow.

In this field, change happens whether you want it to or not. It's not something you can justify on your own, unless you wish to remain behind, and eventually forgotten.

#88 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:19

I don't know the future and I don't know what Microsoft is planning, but if the future include the removal of the "Desktop mode", well, Metro Apps will have to get much better.

After all, is it just what Microsoft wants? Unified experience on all device? So why would we still need a "Desktop", do we have one on a phone?

Consistency is something MS would want to reach.

Let's talk about Apple iOS and OSX, the included apps are getting as powerful on iOS as they are on OSX. That's what MS should be aiming at.

#89 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:25

I don't know the future and I don't know what Microsoft is planning, but if the future include the removal of the "Desktop mode", well, Metro Apps will have to get much better.

After all, is it just what Microsoft wants? Unified experience on all device? So why would we still need a "Desktop", do we have one on a phone?

Consistency is something MS would want to reach.

Let's talk about Apple iOS and OSX, the included apps are getting as powerful on iOS as they are on OSX. That's what MS should be aiming at.

This... I want a media player I can do full ID3 tag editing ( I'm completely OCD about tags!!!) EQ, can play .mkv videos, proper playlist support, supports .flac files, headphone DSP, queue next, show real time bitrates, etc....

#90 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:16

This... I want a media player I can do full ID3 tag editing ( I'm completely OCD about tags!!!) EQ, can play .mkv videos, proper playlist support, supports .flac files, headphone DSP, queue next, show real time bitrates, etc....

These are the last things the media player devs have on their mind. :(