One billion people now 'actively using' Facebook

One billion people now 'actively using' Facebook

Facebook now has over one billion active users. Mark Zuckerberg announced the news in a letter this morning that reads:

"This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month.

If you're reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.

Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.

I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too."

Along with the note, Facebook released a number of stats about its users.

Developing..

Source: The Verge

I would love if absolutely everyone in the world could be/was on Facebook. I really do hope it becomes more successful in that way, that more people start to "get" it, and that more people start to take advantage of the great features of Timeline and Open Graph, to fill out their profiles with their lives.

As you can tell, I'm quite passionately for what Facebook are doing and the direction they're going in :)

I've often wondered what Facebook is planning to do with all that information.

Rule the world with a complex AI system dedicated to controlling Mankind so we don't destroy ourselves?

not really, everyones in the facebook.

No, he's correct. A couple months ago Facebook itself acknowledged that a huge % of it's "active users" were accounts set up for babies, pets, ficticious entitites, and bots. Lots and lots of bots. So that's not really one billion, or even close to it. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from Facebook or anything.

I would love if absolutely everyone in the world could be/was on Facebook. I really do hope it becomes more successful in that way, that more people start to "get" it, and that more people start to take advantage of the great features of Timeline and Open Graph, to fill out their profiles with their lives.

As you can tell, I'm quite passionately for what Facebook are doing and the direction they're going in :)

I doubt it'll happen. For awhile there it seemed likely but now we're at a point where more and more people are leaving Facebook or outright dislike it. I have nothing against it, my gripe is with stupid people that don't use it properly and protect themselves. Facebook has ceased being useful for me and now just serves as a place where people I don't care enough about pile up in a convenient list. Whatever replaces Facebook has the potential to do what you're looking for, but I think within the next 5~ years or so Facebook will go the way of MySpace. There was a point there where every time I met a new person they'd mention Facebook, recently though nobody has asked. Much like what happened with MySpace.

Yeah, but you're a bit weird, Calum. ;) :woot:

I am one of them, sadly.

I know that feel, bro! Same here....some of my family refuse to communicate via any other method other than facebook....that's the only thing that keeps my account going. As soon as they wake up, hasta la vista, facebook! I keep hoping that the day comes soon, but meh.....it hasn't yet.

I'm a fairly active Facebook user, but I really dislike the sort of monopoly the company has. (For lack of a better word) I'm hoping social media will evolve into a more independent form. Obviously you still need a provider, but more in the way of how email or a phone number works. Everyone can choose their own company but it does seamlessly work together: It's one big system. I'm kinda surprised video calls still haven't reached that point yet, never mind how long it will take for it to happen with social media. :/

Ive tried to quit, but its really not just about being on there personally its about the quick access to friends and family around the world. I think Facebook is here to stay.