Hybrid Notebooks - my research and questions

I think the trend of having a laptop that i can take the screen out of a(docking station, or just a shell) and it now acts as a tablet is the future in my opinion.

What im trying to do is the following:

1) have the device act as a workstation at work, i do not need disk space or battery at this point since i have the network and its servers

2) when i am mobile, where i no longer need a cell phone. thats right, ditch the cell. There is inbound skype, and google services where a phone is no longer needed. But i will need to still purchase a USB antenna and pay the fee to be on their network. I can have an ear piece on bluetooth to answer my calls while my hybrid is in bluetooth distance. I can also use my optimum wifi account to get better internet access where availalbe and other paid hotspots around to get better bandwith if needed.

My issue is the battle of getting full blow windows 8 or windows RM, and getting a i7 or a quad or dual atom. I have been keeping a spreadsheet of each vendor and what they offer in the device. the file is attached. some data is solid, some specs might change, and as i get closer i will details this spreadsheet better (what usb is 2 and 3.0 and which one is on the docking station and which on on the tablet itself) it was also hard to get the weight of the devices.

File is attached. I think Sony is going to do the best Job in my opinion but dont know the weight or battery life. I can always have an extra battery, and car charger,usb charger but i want to pick the best to fit my scenerio above. any suggestions? File is in csv format

fyi, ethernet is a must

hybrids.zip

RT means no (self-installable) desktop apps. This may or may not be a bad thing as you may choose to use VDI or a Remote Desktop to get your desktop apps going.

No enterprise integration either on RT (so no joining domains etc.)

However, a plus point of RT is much better battery life (at least for the moment). The i5/i7 end of the Win8 scale are going to have comparatively poor battery life. The middle ground should be the Atom Dual Core, which should give acceptable battery life, enough performance (as long as you aren't doing anything too taxing) and the full desktop experience.

From what I can tell, none of the options on your list are RT, they are fully blown Win8 hybrids.

I agree with you in that hybrid is the way to go. I will be keeping a keen eye on this topic to see other opinions.

RT means no (self-installable) desktop apps. This may or may not be a bad thing as you may choose to use VDI or a Remote Desktop to get your desktop apps going.

No enterprise integration either on RT (so no joining domains etc.)

However, a plus point of RT is much better battery life (at least for the moment). The i5/i7 end of the Win8 scale are going to have comparatively poor battery life. The middle ground should be the Atom Dual Core, which should give acceptable battery life, enough performance (as long as you aren't doing anything too taxing) and the full desktop experience.

From what I can tell, none of the options on your list are RT, they are fully blown Win8 hybrids.

I agree with you in that hybrid is the way to go. I will be keeping a keen eye on this topic to see other opinions.

yes i didnt post any RT options. Because i need to engage at work. But will a quad core Atom processor support Microsoft Outlook, Spotify, A few web pages open, and Visual Studio 2010. I couldnt find specs for the RAM Atom HP envy and Atom Lenovo, but it seems they are only giving you a 64 gig SSD. I think we can agree windows 7 needed at least 35 gigs to run and thats not including any space for you so i think they are making a mistake with such a small drive.

I might have to go with the i7's and just hold on to that extra battery

I thought RM was a typo and you meant RT? Seems like your mind is already made up on that.

Also I don't think many of these tablet/hybrid devices are going to have removable batteries. Unless you know different?

The problem I'm having is that I can't find a good combo.

I'm looking for a 15" touchscreen laptop and the only one that seems to fit that bill is the bp spectra something or rather but it won't be released till the end of the year! And everybody else is having 13 or 14 screens which is just too small to stare at for hours on end