Posted 05 October 2012 - 21:10

Better off buying Google :rofl: :shifty:

That would essentially be giving up :p

#17 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:26

While Nokia's mapping solution is better than Apple's, it's not that much better. I don't see any reason why Apple can't achieve the same level on their own. Whether they'll catch up with Google anytime soon is a different story altogether.

#18 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:47

I've seen the progress of Maps since Beta 1 four months ago, and it has nothing to do with what it was in that time.

I do believe that within the next release of iOS, they will have one of the best mapping systems out there. And yes, they had to release it someday because these things require user feed-back, unless you buy an awesome database from a competitor.

#19 tuneslover

tuneslover

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC HD7, HTC 7 Pro, HTC EVO 3D

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:51

Then they have to buy Bing Maps

#20 coth

coth

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:03

To make a good world map you need much more than a month. It takes years.

Bing is not a mapping company. They use several map makers, but mostly Nokia's Navteq, mainly except Zenrin for Japan.

Google partnering with dozens, if not hundreds of regional map makers. Many cities and provinces around the world have several their own map maker. Nothing prevents Apple from partnering with them as well.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 October 2012 - 23:18

^ And yet, it seems many expect Apple to get it perfect in a short time.

#22 Garry

Garry

CCNP & CISSP

Posted 09 October 2012 - 23:25

I've seen the progress of Maps since Beta 1 four months ago, and it has nothing to do with what it was in that time.

I do believe that within the next release of iOS, they will have one of the best mapping systems out there. And yes, they had to release it someday because these things require user feed-back, unless you buy an awesome database from a competitor.

Like most mapping solutions, the maps are stored server side. Apple don't need to update iOS to update errors in maps, or add points of interest. They're doing so on a daily basis.

Secondly, I wonder how many of you bashing Apple maps are actually iOS owners? Despite the deserved negative publicity Apple maps actually isn't that bad. Yes it has some very silly mistakes it in, but when you're trying to map the whole world that's to be expected. On the whole it's fine for general use.

#23 coth

coth

Neowinian

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:22

Like most mapping solutions, the maps are stored server side. Apple don't need to update iOS to update errors in maps, or add points of interest. They're doing so on a daily basis.

Well, Google does it once per several years... Maps are nice, but not up-to-date.

Secondly, I wonder how many of you bashing Apple maps are actually iOS owners? Despite the deserved negative publicity Apple maps actually isn't that bad. Yes it has some very silly mistakes it in, but when you're trying to map the whole world that's to be expected. On the whole it's fine for general use.

Moreover, There are also many mapping programs out there. And Google is not in better condition. In Russia, for example, Google Maps are not popular in Russia on Android. Just from first launch people installing Yandex Maps and 2GIS for maps and POIs and Navitel or PROGOROD for navigation. Yandex Maps comes preinstalled on most devices. And there are rumors that Apple will partner with Yandex for Russian maps and with Yahoo, which is using Zenrin, for Japanese Maps

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:36

I would like to see Apple get their hands on some of Nokia's other valuables such as wireless charging and such. Imagine the additional patents and suppliers they could acquire. But I could settle for them acquiring Garmin.

I think they should buy Nokia, Nintendo, Yahoo!, and partner with Dyson and Tesla Motors.

Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify and Oakley would be nice too. ;)

Wireless charging is universal standard Nokia licensed from a third party. There are already other devices compatible with the same system, QI I believe it is.

#25 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:00

While Nokia's mapping solution is better than Apple's, it's not that much better. I don't see any reason why Apple can't achieve the same level on their own. Whether they'll catch up with Google anytime soon is a different story altogether.

You can't be serious? Apple is nowhere even close to Nokia's mapping system. Barely google can keep up with them. :/

#26 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6 128GB

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:13

I wish Microsoft would buy Lenovo and Nokia then produce their own hardware software combination rather than the half-assed crap that exists out there already.

Back on topic - the solution is for Apple to suck up their pride and licence the mapping technology from Nokia until their on in house technology is mature.

#27 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:25

You can't be serious? Apple is nowhere even close to Nokia's mapping system. Barely google can keep up with them. :/

Let's see:
Nokia doesn't offer me street view
Nokia doesn't offer me transit directions of all public transportation
Nokia doesn't offer me transit schedules
Nokia frequently uses out of date maps
Nokia Maps is is frequently slow as hell when it comes to loading times

The only thing I find truly better is Nokia's turn-by-turn navigation since you can download entire countries which are then available offline. Googles solution of only being able to download a 80 by 80 kilometer (I think) area at a time is somewhat annoying.

#28 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:35

An aggressive buyout going straight to shareholders makes the views of management of both companies irrelevant,

But not the monopolies and mergers commission...

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:10

Let's see:

Nokia frequently uses out of date maps

Nokia's NAVTEQ is US based....

#30 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User