Photo

Just spent 587.98 euros to upgrade my RAID....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:44

God that hurt......but I knew sooner or later it had to be done.

At least I HOPE that I dont have to upgrade it again.....

I have 4 SATA HDDs now up for sale :p

#2 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:47

€580, what'd you get, 10x2TB drives or something!?

#3 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:48

€580, what'd you get, 10x2TB drives or something!?

4x3TB

#4 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:48

Somebody has a well paid job. Nice! What was the upgrade though let us know!

#5 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:52

Newegg has the same HDDs for 599.96 dollars (which is 460.87 euros)

Somebody has a well paid job. Nice! What was the upgrade though let us know!

Not at all :( (Maybe thats why it hurt the most) but it had to be done sooner or later....

#6 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34

I just noticed something: If I move my PC and/or change my motherboard, this RAID5 will break. Im going to have to get a RAID5 card :( Damn it, and my order has already shipped....

#7 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:45

haha, I was thinking of doing the same thing the other day, priced everything out and everything, came to $530 CAD, then I talked myself out of it till Boxing Day.

#8 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:49

Thants what backups are for! :D

#9 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:59

How are you backing it all up?

#10 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 85
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:28

"sooner or later it had to be done"

To be honest, I would of went with later. Prices of drives are still not back to what they were. As the new bigger drives come out, those 3TB are for sure going to drop in price as well.

I wouldn't mind some more space, but not full yet and there is always stuff I could remove if it comes to choice of being raped over on the price vs deleting a few things. I am quite sure I will update storage space at some point - but later would of currently been the better option from a price point.

#11 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:29

I just noticed something: If I move my PC and/or change my motherboard, this RAID5 will break. Im going to have to get a RAID5 card :( Damn it, and my order has already shipped....

Raid 5? OBR10 baby ;)

#12 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:40

Thants what backups are for! :D

It would take me ages to backup...

How are you backing it all up?

I dont backup (Please lets not start a topic on RAID being a backup solution or not)

"sooner or later it had to be done"

To be honest, I would of went with later. Prices of drives are still not back to what they were. As the new bigger drives come out, those 3TB are for sure going to drop in price as well.

I wouldn't mind some more space, but not full yet and there is always stuff I could remove if it comes to choice of being raped over on the price vs deleting a few things. I am quite sure I will update storage space at some point - but later would of currently been the better option from a price point.

When is "later"?

ANd I am completely full. My current RAID5 is at 10MB and my OS drive (since I cant put anything anywhere else) is about at 500MB. Im maxed out. And thats after deleting things.....

Worst part is that after ordering it, I realized that if I move to another PC, there is no chance in hell that I can move ~9TB of data over so I have to buy a RAID5 card :( (and spend more money) http://www.neowin.ne...-or-pci-e-card/

#13 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 October 2012 - 18:00

Well I don't know what is on your storage array, but clearly in mind I would of either archived stuff off to optical media. Or just dug deeper into what I was willing to delete vs getting raped at the current prices. Only on failure would I eat these costs to be honest.

#14 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:04

Well I don't know what is on your storage array, but clearly in mind I would of either archived stuff off to optical media. Or just dug deeper into what I was willing to delete vs getting raped at the current prices. Only on failure would I eat these costs to be honest.

Optical media is the worst; Completely unrealiable (Ive done it before with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray, all have failed after a while, I was completely surprised with Blu-Ray but oh well)

Like I said, I deleted all that I could delete. And it is "have or lose" things on my storage array.

And the raping has gone on for years..........we will never know when prices truely will come down (or when SSD storage will catch up)

#15 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:22

Well I have to wonder how this stuff you would "lose" if you deleted off your array is backed up then.

There is nothing on my storage array I could not get back, its just stored there for convience of access. I have the stuff that is not recoverable backed up to multiple locations, and yes on optical media as one option for other locations as well as multiple disks on different systems in my house plus online. I could delete my whole array and it would mean nothing other than time to restore/re-rip/etc

So now your going to have 6TB of storage - if this stuff is all non recoverable data, that you would be lost. Your just setting yourself up for a fall and heart ache when the array fails, or gets stolen or you delete something you did not mean too. Raid 5 is not a BACKUP!! Raid 6 is NOT a backup, raid 10, raid X is not a backup.

Its great that you setup up raid to save yourself some restore time or loss of access until restore on failure of 1 drive in the array - but if stuff on there is stored that can not be recovered your just waiting for data loss to happen.

edit: While I agree that optical media is not great long term storage or backup. It should be safe for a few years and as 1 leg of your DR plan for your highly critical files (home videos/pictures) I am looking into moving my grand daughters videos to

http://millenniata.com/m-disc/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!