Windows 8: Should I revert back to 7?

I've been using windows 8 for a few months now. I'm not totally crazy about it and I'm thinking of going back to windows 7. My main reason? Windows 8 does not allow me to multitask. Right now, I have 7 tabs open in my browser. I click the 'x' for one of them and it closes. 8 seconds later.

I know it isn't my computer. It was fine on windows 7. When I'm playing a fullscreen game, I can't watch a video on the 2nd monitor. It stutters. It is not the video drivers either as I have read this is a problem with almost all video cards.

So I guess what I'm wondering is... should I give it another 2 months or just say **** it and reinstall 7 now?

As for my computer, it isn't the issue

Windows 8

Intel Core i7-2600K @3.4ghz

16gb ram

120 gb SSD hard drive is where the operating system and internet browsers are installed.

I think you should do whatever you want, just because you install Windows 7 again, doesn't mean you can't go back to Windows 8 again later, go with what you think is best for you

Not whatever someone on the internet thinks.

There is something wrong with your computer.

This is not happening on any of the computers I have put Windows 8 on (3 separate computers)

I currently have 23 tabs open across 3 browser windows. Closing a tab is instant.

• Like 3

What I did personally: Windows 8 + Start8.

The Start Screen is completely empty, and I don?t remember the last time I saw it. In my opinion, the Start Screen + modern apps are bull****, but I appreciate the speed/reactivity of Windows 8 on the desktop.

The next step: Find a way to completely remove the Start Screen + native modern apps from my installation USB key. I don?t need this bloat on my desktop? and it will save precious space on my SSD ;)

I think you should do whatever you want, just because you install Windows 7 again, doesn't mean you can't go back to Windows 8 again later, go with what you think is best for you

Not whatever someone on the internet thinks.

I agree with this, but he wouldn't be asking if he was sure what to do in the first place.

I wouldn't want to deal with reinstalling, personally.

Are you running the RP or RTM? You'd be crazy to say **** it over unfinished code. I personally have a few reasons why going back to Windows 7 is difficult for me. Kinda like going back to XP from Win7. It just feels too archaic.

• Like 1

The Start Screen is completely empty, and I don?t remember the last time I saw it. In my opinion, the Start Screen + modern apps are bull****, but I appreciate the speed/reactivity of Windows 8 on the desktop.

The next step: Find a way to completely remove the Start Screen + native modern apps from my installation USB key. I don?t need this bloat on my desktop? and it will save precious space on my SSD ;)

Metro isn't the issue for OP. There is some problem (probably drivers) which is making his computer unbearably slow. Windows 8 isn't slow.

I've been using windows 8 for a few months now. I'm not totally crazy about it and I'm thinking of going back to windows 7. My main reason? Windows 8 does not allow me to multitask. Right now, I have 7 tabs open in my browser. I click the 'x' for one of them and it closes. 8 seconds later.

I know it isn't my computer. It was fine on windows 7. When I'm playing a fullscreen game, I can't watch a video on the 2nd monitor. It stutters. It is not the video drivers either as I have read this is a problem with almost all video cards.

So I guess what I'm wondering is... should I give it another 2 months or just say **** it and reinstall 7 now?

As for my computer, it isn't the issue

Windows 8

16gb ram

120 gb SSD hard drive is where the operating system and internet browsers are installed.

there is somthing wrong with your system if it takes your system 8sec to close a Tab in a browser because it is insant for me and i have the system specs as you but regular HDd not SSD and so i think it ids something with your hardware not windows 8 at all . Also multitasking is simple in 8 it is called Alt Tab also if MT between MEtro apps is what you mean that is easy as well just mouse top left and down and all Apps shown that are open and or just mouse top left corner click and instant click through apps

oh side note i have test system with 2 screens and running full 1080p video on 1 screen while gaming on the otehr same settings both run smooth no stutter ( Barrowed Friends 23" screen ) My screen also 23" 1080p

my system specs:

Windows 8

16gb ram

Evga Nvidia GTX 470 running latest Nvidia Drivers for window s 8 RP

Windows 8 installed on 120gb WD 4 year old or mnore HDD 7200RPMs running flawlessly fine and fast for old HDD

2nd HDD 2TB 5900rpms HDD

Haven't had any performance issues with 8 myself, if anything it's been typically about the same as 7, in some places faster. Boot and load times are noticeably quicker especially, have had one old XP era game run with issues, but otherwise it's been flawless, probably a driver issue. One of my systems is using a Windows 7 video driver instead of the latest one built specifically for 8 and it runs better.. it ran but it wasn't as smooth.

As far as the "I like 8 but hate the start screen" bits goes, went with Ex7ForW8 route for when the mood hits me, when I switch shells I've got the Windows 7 experience with the Windows 8 under the hood improvements. No emulated menus thanks, I went with the real thing.. not that I keep it on all the time, I'm still bouncing back and forth as I get used to it.. find myself using the Metro side more I think, especially once you get the hang of the new or re-worked shortcuts.

I'm using it on a laptop from Q1 2008, and performance has been in nearly all respects excellent - and certainly better than I've expected, given that my hardware configuration is getting pretty obsolete. I'm not getting noticeable lag of any sort that you've mentioned. It might be worthwhile to troubleshoot the issues further, at least to the degree where you can rule out failing hardware (yes, various operating systems using different drivers can have differing degrees of tolerance to such issues).

I'm thinking that unoptimized drivers probably are the culprit.....

Hardware OEMs almost never update their drivers until the day of OS release or even later

Give it a bit longer. If you're not happy with it, switch to 7.

It's your computer, use what you're comfortable with. :)

It's your computer, run whatever you want on it and don't worry about it.

He said it wasn't his computer.

Well on my system windows 8 install and even with all the apps i have installed only uses 17.1gb of space windows 7 used a few gigs more with the same amount of stuff loaded if i remember right so windows 8 is a far leaner OS then windows 7