Dog tracks owner to hospital

http://wap.myfoxny.com/w/main/story/74817587/

Dog tracks down ailing owner at hospital

Zander, a husky, was so upset when his owner was hospitalized the pooch tracked him down and paid him a visit.

John Dolan was hospitalized with a skin condition last week. His wife says their dog Zander took it hard. She says the dog sulked and even cried.

Then Zander, seemingly decided he had to be by his owner's bedside. Zander broke out of the Bay Shore home and made his way to the Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center more than 2 miles away.

The four-legged friend likely went under the Robert Moses Parkway and across a busy four-lane road to get there. A hospital employee found the dog on the street outside of building where Dolan was being treated.

The Dolans got the 7-year-old husky from a shelter and nursed him back from starvation five years ago. Dolan says the dog has been like a son ever since.

The couple believes Zander traced John's scent to the hospital. A few days later Zander tried a second visit. He was found on his walk there.

The Dolans say this proves shelter dogs can be fantastic dogs and care for their owners as well as the owners care for the dogs.

Absolutely amazing, truly and sincerely.

I got my first "own" dog a year ago this October 30th. Growing up with my parents we had a few dogs, but this was the 1st dog I have raised from being a puppy in my own home.

He truly is a member of the family. He also has the most distinct personality. He totally has feelings. 110%. This is why I just cannot get when people make comments like "it is only a dog" and I really, truly cannot get, and in fact it angers me more than most things, when people can actually abuse dogs.

They are so, so damn smart. And as I said, absolutely have real feelings. This article is just further proof of that.

Awesome story. Awesome dog. Nice to read something good once in awhile. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I'm such a huge dog lover. Unconditional love and loyalty. I'm just glad he didn't get hurt. He's very lucky!

^^ ---- same reason I've been a 'dog person' since childhood; friend, co-conspirator, protector, hunting partner, comfortor when hurt or ill etc. etc . What more could you want?

• Like 1

This is why I love my doggies... I have not cried over pain.... over the loss of family member but I have cried through the loss of one of my dogs because they were the only ones who didnt need a reason to care <3

• Like 2