Sending "Samsung Galaxy Ace" to phillipines, how to Unlock it.

Hey all, asking here in this forum since a lot of you here are EXTREME DIE-HARD Android fans and guessing you would know. My fiance is heading back to the phillipines in December and we want her to be able to use this phone linked below to use in the phillipines while she is there so we can communicate daily through rebtel or skype or whatever until she comes back. yes i know it will still work on WiFi but since she has a simchip already it would be nice to have the actual cell service working too. I know that you can unlock Iphones but i have never done it with Android before. Any special thing to know about? Or is it even necessary for the phillipines? Her old "dumb" SMARTBRO cell still works (sim card is active) so can it be as simple as just popping in her chip and done? Or is there a MUST-DO hack before she goes back?

http://www.bestbuy.c...c473e3bf3d3en02

You should check out the forums at www.xda-developers.com. They're pretty helpful over there and perhaps just a root and custom rom would allow it to be unlocked. MY girlfriend is using one of my older HTC's in the Philippines with a Cyanogen mod install and it works beautifully on their network

Try another SIM in it first though, as it could be unlocked already as most android devices I've come across so far are

Just to clarify, bootloader unlocking (which is required by some custom ROMs) is not the same as SIM unlocking. SIM unlocking is not generally done by ROM's, you must pay someone to use your IMEI number to unlock your phone for use on other networks.

Edit: However some phones do have codes you can find online that will allow you to unlock the device for other networks. Some versions of the Ace can be unlocked using ADB as well. When searching for information on unlocking and or anything related to the phone really, use the model number rather than just Samsung Galaxy Ace as there are several version. The model number can usually be found under the battery.

One more Edit: In case you need a place to do it, http://cellphoneunlocker.com/ is a place that will do it. I've never used them personally but they are recommended frequently for Canadian users. Couldn't tell you if they're good, priced well or effective though.

ty for your replies but ended up deciding to upgrade to the iphone 5 and give her my 3gs to take back.... was just an idea but after looking at some youtube videos and reveiws of the Ace, decided against it. Sorry for the hassle of replying.