Rogers Canada announces Lumia 920 as an exclusive for November

The good news is Nokia is finally getting some details out about its highly touted Lumia 920, specifically carrier deals. The bad news is they are couched in exclusivity deals (we?ll have more on that shortly).

Such is the case with Rogers in Canada who have announced that the Lumia 920 will be coming to the carrier with 4G LTE in November.

From their press release:

"Rogers is proud to bring the new Nokia Lumia 920 to our customers looking for the best unified experience and to further extend our leadership as the carrier with the largest LTE superphone selection in Canada," said John Boynton, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Rogers Communications. "With seamless access to entertainment, sports and business content, the Nokia Lumia 920 offers customers a world leading internet experience powered by the Rogers LTE network."

http://www.wpcentral.com/rogers-canada-announces-nokia-lumia-920-exclusive

Ack. 'tis too bad hot phones have to land with Rogers first. (The S3's an exception.)

I bet this is timed, for a month or 3 months max, same for the 920 on AT&T imo. There's that rumor of a 922 that came up so who knows? I personally will probably just drop 600 down and get it unlocked since I expect to keep this one for quite some time compared to my current LG. I honestly think WP9 will be able to run on WP8 devices since things like secure boot and TPM hardware are already supported etc.

How long will this exclusivity last? And what's up with the Lumia 920 only being available in black (for Canada)? Even if it was my dream phone, there's no way I'd switch back to Rogers and potentially lock myself into a 3-year contract.

How long will this exclusivity last? And what's up with the Lumia 920 only being available in black (for Canada)? Even if it was my dream phone, there's no way I'd switch back to Rogers and potentially lock myself into a 3-year contract.

May I ask, which provider you are with, Anaron?

If Wikipedia is correct, the Lumia 920 might be another Big Three (plus umbrella brands) phone much like the iPhone 5. Doesn't support UMTS. :/

May I ask, which provider you are with, Anaron?

I'm with Wind Mobile on a no-contract $40/month plan: unlimited Canada/US calling, unlimited data, and unlimited global text messaging. It beats anything Rogers, Bell, or Telus has.

If Wikipedia is correct, the Lumia 920 might be another Big Three (plus umbrella brands) phone much like the iPhone 5. Doesn't support UMTS. :/

If that's true, then it may be limited to the "Canadian" model. The US model should support UMTS band IV (AWS) so it'll work on T-Mobile's network as well as Wind Mobile.

US: http://www.nokia.com...specifications/

Canada: http://www.nokia.com...specifications/

I don't know why the Canadian page was pulled but it worked an hour ago.

And this is where Nokia are killing themselves. They believe they're going downhill because of their products, they're not -- it's because of stupid ****ing decisions like this and the AT&T exclusivity. I wanted to see them succeed with the Lumia 920 and the device itself has masses of potential to do fantastic but it looks like it's going to fail massively because of the exclusivity deals.

The color choice is up to the carrier IMO, since they place the order. It would seem Rogers doesn't want anything other than black? I doubt Nokia said you can sell the 920 but only black, why would they? I'm sure it's in their interest to sell the phone in any color they can if the carrier wants it.

Will Fido get it?

My current phone is a retail channel phone and I love the freedom from any carriers, but I might get a 920 with the carrier subsidy if Microsoft's early-access-all-the-updates program does what it says it does.