Parking ticket while in the hospital...

Hey, I have never gotten a ticket in the past 6 years of driving and have no idea how to do this....

at 2:30am I felt horrible and drove myself to the ER. I parked at the first spot I found and stumbled into the ER. Parking is free from 8pm-8am I honestly thought I would be out before 8am.

The hospital admitted me and I was having surgery that same day. The ticket was issued at 8:55. I have no record of this but know that I was passed out on pain meds from 7-11am.

I had a friend come to the hospital and remove the car before 12pm (soon as I woke up).

What do I do about this ticket? I called the court and they sent me this paperwork that has a check box for "I am contesting the infraction. I deny I committed the infraction...." This doesn't sound right. Should I be asking for a different checkbox? I want to claim extenuating circumstances...

Where you live would help.

In general you can contest it for any reason, or just pay it and call it a day. Assuming you have a good reason (sounds like you do), I'd go with contesting it.

Also, if it was issued by a private company (hospital parking lot parking ticket), just drop it in the trash.

• Like 2

deny the infraction, go to court and provide documentation about your admittance to the hospital and they should clear it all up.

IANAL but I would have thought you could plead extenuating circumstances, as you had effectively been detained by the hospital due to the unforseen medical emergency. Best of luck, you may need it 'cos they do like their money!! :D

IANAL but I would have thought you could plead extenuating circumstances, as you had effectively been detained by the hospital due to the unforseen medical emergency. Best of luck, you may need it 'cos they do like their money!! :D

I think I can call and request paperwork that says I am claiming extenuating circumstances. Thats' why I am wondering about this....

I live in seattle, WA

I think I can call and request paperwork that says I am claiming extenuating circumstances. Thats' why I am wondering about this....

I live in seattle, WA

Wonder what hospital, you came close to being a patient of mine depending on were in Seattle and what hospital :) . You would check the box to contest it even though it doesn't sound right. After that, bring the hospital paperwork in to the judge on the set date (I HATE the King county courthouse so have fun) and explain it to him, he will drop the ticket.

Always expect to be in the hospital longer and plan ahead... Same thing happened to my dad and he learned from it... he always parked in the normal extended parking by default (never any quick spots)... so does all my family membs as a result..

and how are they to know your situation...? to them you simply parked there too long...

Always expect to be in the hospital longer and plan ahead... Same thing happened to my dad and he learned from it... he always parked in the normal extended parking by default (never any quick spots)... so does all my family membs as a result..

and how are they to know your situation...? to them you simply parked there too long...

Good point. Better safe than sorry.

and I expect hospitals to take 5 times longer then I expect... they're slow ass mofos.

one time I was having sharp pains for days in that area and thought I had food poisoning, bad cramps or a lil bowel trouble... turns out I was going through a miscarriage and what I thought would be a 2 hour visit turned into 16 hours,.,,,,

so yeah... I expect that now... LOL....

I hate tow trucks. :angry:

that's why you gotta engage paranoid parrot mode.

that's why you gotta engage paranoid parrot mode.

I was thinking when I saw a nice new tow truck parked along the street that I wish i could tow it. :)