Question

Posted

Hey,

I have been getting some really bad connections when playing Minecraft. It is just so laggy. Now, I thought, why don't I do a speedtest? Png was fine, at 10ms. Download was fine, at 20Mbps But the upload just hanged, never finishing.

I test this on other computers around the house, and I get fine upload time at 900Kbps. I try switching the cable on this system. No dice.

So, I thought, why not just try a different OS? I pop my Ubuntu 12.04 x64 disk in, and ran another speedtest on it. Had to run from testmy.net because I didn't have java on there. This ran fine. So It wasn't my hardware, but my software.

Now, what is the problem with Windows? I did recently clone it to my new Samsung 830 128GB from my OCZ Vertex 60GB. But everything seems to work no problem.

Do I need to flush something?

72 answers to this question

Posted

update your LAN drivers.... also check windows firewall settings...

Posted

Updated drivers to latest version, Firewall settings are all turned off. Still no dice. I can't get an upload test. Meaning, AFAIK, that I am not getting very good upload on this system only.

Posted

329 views and only remixed replied? Geez, I'm tearing out my hair about this! Please guys, help!

Posted

Does the testmy.net site work ok on your Windows PC?

Posted

can you try a different network card?

Posted

I would look to firewall or antivirus suites/security software your running to be the problem

Posted

[quote name='osuwildlifer' timestamp='1349609036' post='595231179']
Does the testmy.net site work ok on your Windows PC?
[/quote]

Umm, no?

[quote name='remixedcat' timestamp='1349609117' post='595231183']
can you try a different network card?
[/quote]

The network card is not the issue. I booted a Ubuntu Live-CD and did a testmy.net test and it worked with flying colors.

[quote name='BudMan' timestamp='1349614635' post='595231293']
I would look to firewall or antivirus suites/security software your running to be the problem
[/quote]

I disabled MSE, just took off msconfig startup. I have no firewall.

Posted

[quote name='Mindovermaster' timestamp='1349616378' post='595231337']
I disabled MSE, just took off msconfig startup. I have no firewall.
[/quote]

Windows firewall?

Posted

so you have no other security software? Only MSE, I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest -- do a file download from this box and another machine on your network via file sharing, is that working? Then its prob just security issue with either flash or java depending on site your using or port problem.

have to do a sniff to see what speedtest.net actually uses for upload - I would guess udp? Could be a problem with that -- look more into the details of the site your using for details of how the upload test is actually done so you can troubleshoot what might be causing that to fail.

sniff of the traffic never hurts. Im not home currenty or even on my own machine so can look deeper myself - but when I get home I can fire up a sniff and try a few different speed test sites to see how they differ in testing the upload speed and which ones might work for you if speedtest.net does not.

Posted

[quote name='djdanster' timestamp='1349617273' post='595231359']
Windows firewall?
[/quote]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

[quote name='BudMan' timestamp='1349619033' post='595231401']
so you have no other security software? Only MSE, I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest -- do a file download from this box and another machine on your network via file sharing, is that working? Then its prob just security issue with either flash or java depending on site your using or port problem.

have to do a sniff to see what speedtest.net actually uses for upload - I would guess udp? Could be a problem with that -- look more into the details of the site your using for details of how the upload test is actually done so you can troubleshoot what might be causing that to fail.

sniff of the traffic never hurts. Im not home currenty or even on my own machine so can look deeper myself - but when I get home I can fire up a sniff and try a few different speed test sites to see how they differ in testing the upload speed and which ones might work for you if speedtest.net does not.
[/quote]

speedtest uses java and flash. testmy just uses flash I think.

Posted

[quote name='Mindovermaster' timestamp='1349621944' post='595231481']
[url="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials"]http://windows.micro...rity-essentials[/url]

speedtest uses java and flash. testmy just uses flash I think.
[/quote]

Try running this test and post the results here, someone might spot something

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Posted

[code]
Summary of Noteworthy Events + [img]http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/yelred_off.gif[/img] [url="http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca208a-4697-cfbad52c-fb15-4813-b1b8#"]

Posted

Update: I ran the same test as above on my Linux rig, I get the exact same outcome. So, my network is not to blame, as I understand it. Maybe I should just reinstall Windows...

Posted

[quote]Direct TCP connections to remote PPTP Control servers (port 1723) succeed, but do not receive the expected content.
"The applet received an empty response instead of our normal banner. This suggests that a firewall, proxy, or filter initially allowed the connection and then terminated it, either because it did not understand our server's reply or decided to block the service.

"Latency: 59ms Loss: 7.0%"

"We recorded a packet loss of 7%. This loss is very significant and will lead to serious performance problems"

"Fragmented UDP traffic is blocked"

The applet was unable to send fragmented UDP traffic. The most likely cause is an error in your network's firewall configuration or NAT.The maximum packet successfully sent was 1472 bytes of payload.
The applet was able to receive fragmented UDP traffic.
[/quote]

So you got the same result when running it on linux? Strange - I don't get any of those responses at all - and if your machine/network was working correctly you sure and the hell would not have 7% packet loss. And you should be able to send and recv fragmented udp - that would explain your issue with upload tests. So your Sure your linux box got the same exact results?

"Direct TCP access to remote PPTP Control servers (port 1723) is allowed."

"Network latency measurements (?): Latency: 36ms Loss: 0.0% "

"The applet was able to send fragmented UDP traffic.
The applet was able to receive fragmented UDP traffic."

"We recorded no packet loss between your system and our server."

Posted

Yeah, the same exact results all the way through.

Posted

Well you got a serious issue if your having 7% packet loss. Well beyond anything that speed test will show you.

I would redo the test, maybe it was just congestion to their server? You can not have 7% packet loss and expect to have a good day ;)

Posted

I'm not having a good day without that. ;)

Edit: Actually, now I looked deeper, I get 9% packet loss on my linux rig. While that is bad, I am not noticing any lag.

Posted

What router do you have and does it show decent connection stats?

Posted

You shouldn't have any packet loss! 0% you could live with say a few packets here or there, maybe 1% -- but 7-9% would make the internet SUCK!

Is this over wireless or wired?

Posted

I have a D-Link DGL4500. Would the connection stats be in the logs?

@BudMan: Both of them are wired systems.

Posted

Well that packet loss sucks - this is much more of an issue than you can not get some upload test to work. After you packet loss is fixed we can look the upload issue

Posted

Should I just reset my modem and/or router and see if I benefit from it?

Posted

can not hurt to do a reset. What is worse that is going to happen? You still have the issue ;)

Posted

Try changing your cables does this affect it?

Posted

If your other computers on your network are fine it rules out the the router

so next things i would check is
[list]
[*]Trying a new Ethernet cable
[*]Trying a different port on the router
[/list]

and run the text each time and see if still get same packet loss