Why mini laptop manufactures are lying regarding battery life ?

Hello,

I've just bought my new mini laptop Aspire One 722 (AO722-0427)

Aspire_One_722_black_350x250.jpg

As you can see in the above mentioned link at the bottom of the page, under the battery section:

Battery Information Number of Cells 6-cell Battery Chemistry Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery Capacity 4400 mAh Maximum Battery Run Time 7 Hour

BUT when you look into the system tray icon for remaining battery life while it almost 99% you find it reads 2 hours and 45 minutes remaining HUH !? :o :crazy:

So why the lie !?

Hello,

I've just bought my new mini laptop Aspire One 722 (AO722-0427)

Aspire_One_722_black_350x250.jpg

As you can see in the above mentioned link at the bottom of the page, under the battery section:

Battery Information Number of Cells 6-cell Battery Chemistry Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery Capacity 4400 mAh Maximum Battery Run Time 7 Hour

BUT when you look into the system tray icon for remaining battery life while it almost 99% you find it reads 2 hours and 45 minutes remaining HUH !? :o :crazy:

So why the lie !?

Switch off wifi, bluetooth, dim the screen, put it in battery saving mode.

you could also just have a bad battery pack.

side note its people like you that make me leave anything customer service related.

The manufacturer is listing maximum run time.

What you see in the system tray is a calculated time based on how you are using the computer right now. How bright you have the screen brightness, whether you're using WiFi, bluetooth, etc, and how much you're loading the CPU can all affect how long your battery lasts on a charge.

Sometimes also a new computer will report incorrect battery estimations until you've gone through a few battery cycles so it knows how quickly the battery really drains.

That is because the battery life quoted is under very light usage and mostly idling. When you fire up a game or watch videos, it causes the processor to increase its operating frequency which drains battery faster.

We always get half of advertised life in day to day usage.

Since usage differs from customer to customer, companies advertise the potential battery life and do not mention average battery life under heavy load.

Switch off wifi, bluetooth, dim the screen, put it in battery saving mode.

I did tried these and some extra using Google of course.
side note its people like you that make me leave anything customer service related.
side reply, customer like me who let you able to get your salary paid otherwise if there is no need for customer service or customer care you may run out broke.

The manufacturer is listing maximum run time.

What you see in the system tray is a calculated time based on how you are using the computer right now. How bright you have the screen brightness, whether you're using WiFi, bluetooth, etc, and how much you're loading the CPU can all affect how long your battery lasts on a charge.

Sometimes also a new computer will report incorrect battery estimations until you've gone through a few battery cycles so it knows how quickly the battery really drains.

Thanks for the tip :)

That is because the battery life quoted is under very light usage and mostly idling. When you fire up a game or watch videos, it causes the processor to increase its operating frequency which drains battery faster.

We always get half of advertised life in day to day usage.

Since usage differs from customer to customer, companies advertise the potential battery life and do not mention average battery life under heavy load.

This is why I hate most sales for such a thing. Like when when you go for Mac and order the advertised sandwich you will NEVER EVER find it the same advertised one.

Got one of these but it lasts so long. battery run time of 7 hours but I had it last me almost 9 watching movies in an airport.

what is the brand and specs

what is the brand and specs

I have the Acer One 722. Had it a few months and it seems to last forever. I only plug it in every few days and use it a few hours a day to watch some tv shows or skype now, close the top to let it sleep until the next day. I never believe what the manufacture says about battery life.

Also I keep my wifi turned off and keep it about 75% screen brightness except when plugged in then i have it at 100%.

side reply, customer like me who let you able to get your salary paid otherwise if there is no need for customer service or customer care you may run out broke.

No it's people like you why the good reps quit and swear off customer support forever, like me, and you are left with the ones that give you no real support

Yeah whenever you see battery life that's over 4 hours, you should definitely inquire whether that information is with general use or minimum use.

It's like this with everything though, not just laptop batteries. CCTV equipment for instance. If you buy a DVR Kit that guarantees a months recording, it'll be on the absolute lowest quality setting with one camera. And that is never, ever, ever practical or useful. It's just something to draw attention. Even though it's useless to you. :p

I don't work in customer service per-se, but I believe that giving people the most accurate and practical information is key. If they read on the box that it does 7 hours, and I tell them it'll only really do about 4 hours, I'd normally get a 'thank you for your honesty'. Not a 'But it says 7 hours on the box. :/'

No it's people like you why the good reps quit and swear off customer support forever, like me, and you are left with the ones that give you no real support

lol .... bla bla bla ... what a geniues !!!

Yeah whenever you see battery life that's over 4 hours, you should definitely inquire whether that information is with general use or minimum use.

Yes, thanks for the tip.
It's like this with everything though, not just laptop batteries. CCTV equipment for instance. If you buy a DVR Kit that guarantees a months recording, it'll be on the absolute lowest quality setting with one camera. And that is never, ever, ever practical or useful. It's just something to draw attention. Even though it's useless to you. :p
actually I thought that stating this info should be a must in every product.
I don't work in customer service per-se, but I believe that giving people the most accurate and practical information is key. If they read on the box that it does 7 hours, and I tell them it'll only really do about 4 hours, I'd normally get a 'thank you for your honesty'. Not a 'But it says 7 hours on the box. :/'

Yes, please tell z0phi3l this little piece of information :)

^0^ Read this twice please :)

I have the Acer One 722. Had it a few months and it seems to last forever. I only plug it in every few days and use it a few hours a day to watch some tv shows or skype now, close the top to let it sleep until the next day. I never believe what the manufacture says about battery life.

Also I keep my wifi turned off and keep it about 75% screen brightness except when plugged in then i have it at 100%.

I will follow these advices as possible :)