Streaming over the Network

Question

I would like to setup a server(preferably linux) that can let users on the network stream music and videos.

I was think XBMC, but for some reason the web interface wont load any of the files that are stored LOCALLY on the server and i've added them via the server. So for music, ive gone into Music > Files > Add > Music Folder > Done.

I even go back into Music > Files > "Added folder Name" and it loads the files...

But, when I access the server via XBMC, doesnt work. It wont load any content. It just keeps spinning when I click music. I could be doing something wrong, but it works on the server but not through the web browser.

The other thing I can do is to take this server, share the music and video folders, and have people use a program like the XBMC Client or iTunes or VLC to load the content.

But, is there a solution like hulu or netflix that I can run locally. I know a few years ago i discovered media servers but I wasnt that interested in using them at home. Now I am.

Thanks,

Sikh

5 answers to this question

I use PLEX Media Server, works great for locally hosted files

http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/

How do you access plex remotely without having to "manage it".

I just want someone to be able to go to the plex "website" and boom it brings up a launcher. When I installed plex yesterday, it wanted me to log in and gave me fully ability to add stuff to my library. I as the admin want to add the stuff on my end, the client on the other end pulls up the website and boom done.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Install PS3 Media Server on the PC with your media on. It's a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. It's simple to set up, and works really well.

Ill check this out

PS3 Media Server FTW! Never causes any problems for me, and I stream several gigs to 5 PC's and my PS3. From a Celeron with PC-2700 DDR...you won't be sorry.

PS3 Media Server FTW! Never causes any problems for me, and I stream several gigs to 5 PC's and my PS3. From a Celeron with PC-2700 DDR...you won't be sorry.

How do you stream it to the other 5 PC's?