Photo

Recommend Internet Viewable Cameras & Best Setup Of

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 85
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:05

Do you need HD to check on your dog? Not taking home videos here

300 degree pan, 120 degree tilt also to see the whole area.

#17 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:10

Do you need HD to check on your dog? Not taking home videos here

300 degree pan, 120 degree tilt also to see the whole area.

Well, you get what you pay for... plus the convenience of being able to take a dropcam and plug it in anywhere in the house, or take it to a new location, plug it into a PC to configure the Wifi settings then plug it in to power. Done, no port forwarding or dynamic DNS needed.

#18 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:16

I use mine to watch my cat...because I'm a loser and have nothing better to watch.

I have a cheap clone of the Foscam. £35 or so ($50), I guess it works ok. The interface is not great (poor english), but it runs 247 no problem.

When it breaks, I'll get a proper Foscam. For data retention, I can set the motion detection and it will upload to my webspace.

I can't find the exact one... but these are similar... http://www.ebay.co.u...acat=0&_armrs=1 sure you can find the same on ebay.com.

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:17

I don't show it having a wired connection, so how can you say you can drop it anywhere? The foscam has both wired and wireless. Nice that it sends signal to server if your actually watching. But if not watching that upload stream is sucking away at any bandwidth caps you have along with your upload pipe when you might want it for other things.

If you have to contact the camera to view - means your only using your isp bandwidth and or any caps when your actually watching it.

I agree the thing looks slick - and clearly it is designed to look good. The apple sheep must love it, except it doesn't have apple logo and cost 2x more than it already does ;)

I agree you get what you pay for. If I put up cost vs features - and what I need, I would save a buck and get more features.

#20 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:04

If you do end up going with the Foscam be sure to at least look into the Synology software. Not sure how great it is since I dont have any cameras on my network but their audio and photo apps worked great on my ipad as well as when I logged in from a PC (for some reason I can no longer log into my diskstation from outside my netowrk but thats for another day/thread).

#21 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:21

I wound up getting the DropCam.
Sure, I do not need HD to watch my dog, but also thinking down the road, i.e. baby cam, the HD may come in handy.
It also seems that DropCam is more favorably reviewed, but not by much.
Finally while looks do not matter a damn thing to me, they do to my wife. She has a crazy disdain for ugly looking electronics. :laugh:

However reading a comment made by Budman really has me second guessing the decision. I absolutely prefer that it only activates when I call on it too. So the DropCam runs 24/7 all the time? Meaning there is no way to turn it on and off as needed?
If so, think I may be returning it for the Foscam. I do not like the sounds of that. Especially when I am home, no need for it to be continuously running. :huh:

I'm cheap. When I go away, I leave one of my laptops open, and just remote into it and use the webcam software. :laugh: I'm looking into getting an IP cam soon, though.

Not a bad idea. :laugh:

The foscam also has ethernet, so he does not have to worry about wireless if he doesn't want too. Kind of hard to loose wireless settings when not using them ;)

I thought DropCam also has ethernet, which is one of the things I was looking for. If it does not, that is 2 strikes. Missing tilt and pan, .5 strike, but I thought it did it as well.

#22 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:31

EDIT - The DropCam was still shipping on Amazon, so I requested a cancellation. IF I get the cancellation, will order the Foscam.
Two reasons why I decided to go this route...
Do not like the always on of the DropCam (if that is indeed the case).
Prefer to have the option to hardwire it (I checked, the DropCam does in fact not have an Ethernet port).
Finally, thinking about where I want to set it up, the tilt/pan feature will in fact come in handy.

So will see what happens. I have 4 hours to see if it was cancelled to order the Foscam and still receive it on Wednesday.

If the DropCam ships, I will go with it. :laugh: I tend to go with the flow, and also I am admittedly very spur of the moment.

EDIT 2 - DropCam is shipping, but I still may go with the Foscam. Decisions, decisions.

#23 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:40

EDIT - The DropCam was still shipping on Amazon, so I requested a cancellation. IF I get the cancellation, will order the Foscam.
Two reasons why I decided to go this route...
Do not like the always on of the DropCam (if that is indeed the case).
Prefer to have the option to hardwire it (I checked, the DropCam does in fact not have an Ethernet port).
Finally, thinking about where I want to set it up, the tilt/pan feature will in fact come in handy.

So will see what happens. I have 4 hours to see if it was cancelled to order the Foscam and still receive it on Wednesday.

If the DropCam ships, I will go with it. :laugh: I tend to go with the flow, and also I am admittedly very spur of the moment.

Well the DropCam is always on if it's plugged in, but not sending any data, unless you have the DVR function on and are paying for that.. Then it will record motion and make it available to you for later online, my understanding is though it isn't sending any data unless someone is streaming it live.

Give it a try for a few days if it ships, and then if you don't like it just return it. The image is pretty wide, so if you stuck it in a corner, it will likely cover the whole room.

When you get it or the Foscam, let us know what you think.

#24 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:44

Well the DropCam is always on if it's plugged in, but not sending any data, unless you have the DVR function on and are paying for that.. Then it will record motion and make it available to you for later online, my understanding is though it isn't sending any data unless someone is streaming it live.

Give it a try for a few days if it ships, and then if you don't like it just return it. The image is pretty wide, so if you stuck it in a corner, it will likely cover the whole room.

When you get it or the Foscam, let us know what you think.

Yeah, I edited it above, the DropCom shipped. I will see how it pans out (pun intended).
So yeah, if it is only on when I call on it, that is big. Definitely like that feature. Kind of bummed it does not also include a wired option though, swore I saw that somewhere but apparently I did not.

#25 EddieF

EddieF

Neowinian

• Phone: Droid Razr

Posted 08 October 2012 - 22:45

I don't post often, but I stumbled on this topic and happened to have just bought two of those foscams a month ago.
So far, I love them. Video quality isn't amazing, but it does what I need them to do (cameras in the kid's rooms.) I have them wired to a switch and a computer that has blue iris software.

I'm really impressed with the onboard software for the cameras (has built in webserver.) But I went ahead and bought the blue iris software (about $40.) I have it to manage recording better, the software can do just about anything you could want, and having said that, can be very complicated to figure out.

Blue Iris reports that each camera is getting about 10fps (in night vision at least), I wish it was more, but oh well, its not terribly noticeable.

Blue Iris is working on a mobile app, but for now I have IP Cam viewer for mobile viewing and it does everything I'd like it to do. My only complaint is that when you set the IPs to the cameras, you have to use your outside ip and whatever ports you have forwarded. If you come home on wifi, you cant use the app without reprogrammig the IPs to your internal ips. I wish IP Cam Viewer had a setting, to detect if you are on your home network to use internal IPs.

#26 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:57

Thanks EddieF for taking the time to post your feedback. It alone has me heavily second guessing my (current) decision, however reading your issue with the IP, combined with feedback from others, has me thinking it is something that requires a bit more leg work to get running properly, where this DropCam does sound to be much, much more user friendly. So for now, am sticking with it. Hoping I made the right decision.

#27 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:58

You have to turn it OFF via the interface if you don't want it streaming to the site. So Turn it OFF, then when you want to watch turn it back ON. Hope you don't forget to turn it off, and then its just streaming home for nothing while you wonder why your internet is slow ;)

Got to love how to watch it from you own network you have to go out to the internet and then pull in that same stream again - so 2X the bandwidth vs 0 the bandwidth if a real IP camera and your on the same network.

Less features for $60 more -- yeah sounds like a real good choice there ;) And you can not even record the video if you wanted too without paying them.. WTF?? With an actual IP camera you could record years of video if you wanted.. With the dropcam to be able to get 7 days you have to pay $100 a year.

"you cant use the app without reprogrammig the IPs to your internal ips."

Well that is not the app or camera issue - that is just your router not understanding nat reflection or loopback forwarding. Or why don't you just use a fqdn for the camera? I would assume you can do that vs IP - so that when your outside and resolve camera.no-ip.info you get your public address, and then just setup your local dns to resolve camera.no-ip.info to your private IP address.

That is not really a issue, just lack of understanding. Or how about just setting up 2 cameras in the software one that points to public and one that points to private ip? lots of ways around the issue your having without having to go in an edit some setting every time.

#28 EddieF

EddieF

Neowinian

• Phone: Droid Razr

Posted 10 October 2012 - 23:57

You have to turn it OFF via the interface if you don't want it streaming to the site. So Turn it OFF, then when you want to watch turn it back ON. Hope you don't forget to turn it off, and then its just streaming home for nothing while you wonder why your internet is slow ;)

Got to love how to watch it from you own network you have to go out to the internet and then pull in that same stream again - so 2X the bandwidth vs 0 the bandwidth if a real IP camera and your on the same network.

Less features for $60 more -- yeah sounds like a real good choice there ;) And you can not even record the video if you wanted too without paying them.. WTF?? With an actual IP camera you could record years of video if you wanted.. With the dropcam to be able to get 7 days you have to pay $100 a year.

"you cant use the app without reprogrammig the IPs to your internal ips."

Well that is not the app or camera issue - that is just your router not understanding nat reflection or loopback forwarding. Or why don't you just use a fqdn for the camera? I would assume you can do that vs IP - so that when your outside and resolve camera.no-ip.info you get your public address, and then just setup your local dns to resolve camera.no-ip.info to your private IP address.

That is not really a issue, just lack of understanding. Or how about just setting up 2 cameras in the software one that points to public and one that points to private ip? lots of ways around the issue your having without having to go in an edit some setting every time.

I understand what the issue is and how to get around it, just don't have the desire to do anything about it. I can access the cameras from my tablet/laptops/tvs, they are at my finger tip anywhere i my house. I just was thinking it would be a decent feature in the phone APP, to know if I'm in my internal network (which isn't related to the camera at all so none if this should detour anyone from the cameras themself.)

Thanks EddieF for taking the time to post your feedback. It alone has me heavily second guessing my (current) decision, however reading your issue with the IP, combined with feedback from others, has me thinking it is something that requires a bit more leg work to get running properly, where this DropCam does sound to be much, much more user friendly. So for now, am sticking with it. Hoping I made the right decision.

Its really not difficult at all. As long as you port foward, you're good to go. For my cams, I have myip:31001 for cam 1 and myip:31002 for my second cam. Just type that into a browser wherever you are and bam! You can even set-up 1 camera to manage all of the cameras, only needing to remember one ip/port. I just like to use different software and tools and whatnot. It only gets as complicated as you want to make it.

Or I can log into blue iris (have it port forwarded to 32001) and I can view all cams/video from there.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!