university of south alabama ignored officers commands wetumpka

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,267 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:05

So "deploy them in pairs" when 8 cops cant even take down one person on PCP? You amaze me with some of your replies on this forum.

EDIT: Then again all of you overseas amaze me with your replies. You take every effort you can to bash the US in one way or another. I find it funny. Its almost like your jealous that you don't live here. We all know that's all it is anyways.

That's UKers for you. If you notice, the US members very rarely bash anything from other countries on this forum unless it was responding to a directed statement. Meanwhile, all the UK members on this forum CONSTANTLY bash the US for every opportunity they can. Most of their arguments are also completely illogical.

I'm honestly pretty ****ing sick of it.

Guys it's nothing to do with America; it's how this particular officer handled the situation that I don't think is right. It wouldn't matter where in the world it was, it just so happened to be in America.

The victim was unarmed in this case. There were a number of things the officer could have done before resorting to shooting him.

All I was saying is that if this had happened in the UK, it's highly probable that nobody would have died. Police officers are not usually killed by unarmed drug users.

Depending on the drug, sometimes perps fail to respond to non-lethal means of defense. I've seen people high on some of the crazy stuff take several bullets from 9mm pistols before they went down because their body was in overdrive and didn't respond until they lost too much blood for their brain to continue functioning. I'm not saying police should instantly resort to shooting everybody, but I do believe they should be armed, and if they legitimately feel that their life is in danger and that non-lethal forms of defense won't suffice (such as if the officer is being threatened with a gun and the suspect is too far away to hit with pepper spray, or if pepper spray has already failed to incapacitate the suspect), then I have no problem with them being authorized to use lethal force. Every human being, regardless if they are a police officer or not, has an innate right to defend themselves, their family and their property using whatever means they have available. I would never ask a police officer to give up that right just because they wear a uniform.

The officer didn't exhaust his options though, he just said "stop" a few times and then shot. He made a grave error in judgement.

#62 Nihilus

Nihilus

Resident Newbie

• 1,095 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:28

So "deploy them in pairs" when 8 cops cant even take down one person on PCP? You amaze me with some of your replies on this forum.

EDIT: Then again all of you overseas amaze me with your replies. You take every effort you can to bash the US in one way or another. I find it funny. Its almost like your jealous that you don't live here. We all know that's all it is anyways.

Maybe it's just that we find your responses to be surprising, and in stark contrast to our own, so it generates discussion? There is no need to try and put some kind of "my country is better than yours" spin on things.

Here are some interesting points though, since you brought up the United Kingdom:
  • UK Citizens are considerably more likely to take narcotics on a regular basis than Americans
  • Members of the UK police force do not carry guns, excluding select groups from specific inner-city constabularies and armed response units
  • The mortality rate is lower in the UK police force than in the American police force
So if it is impractical to respond to a suspect who may or may not be on drugs, why are there not more police fatalities in the UK? After all, they do not have lethal weapons with which to defend themselves and narcotics are far more commonplace.

I also think it's important to note that, from what I've gathered, there is no evidence that this individual was actually on drugs. We also have a pretty limited and (possibly) biased view of events running up to the shooting, conclusions are probably at this point somewhat useless until more evidence and a report on the individuals blood work/background/mental state have been analysed and released to the public.