• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#16 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:11

done at the right angle, all cameras do... sorry bud

This afternoon I tried to replicate the purple haze for 20 mins and was unable to do so, so I'm skeptical.

#17 Gaara sama

Gaara sama

Neowinian

• 756 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:12

sorry but my Galaxy s 2 does't do that at all. this is iPhone 5 hardware problem not software. so Apple have no fix for the problem believe me .

#18 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,711 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:12

any point and shoot can do this. I can dupe this on my Nikon 8100 and 8200 plus my original Droid. some lens have more flare up than others though. So while it can be in any phone it seems to be much worse in the Iphone 5 because of the type of lens they used.

#19 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,687 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:25

so the old, "you're holding it wrong" excuse huh :/

Seems to me that that is literally the issue here. As soon as Apple is concerned though, all common sense goes out the window.

#20 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,319 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:27

Seems to me that that is literally the issue here. As soon as Apple is concerned though, all common sense goes out the window.

Yep, apparently people think you can just take photos of the sun almost directly and it won't affect the photo in the slightest, even though it will affect a camera sensor in a similar way to what it would an eye.

#21 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,320 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:30

Plastic vs Glass.

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:31

It's dark here now, but I`m gonna take a few photos with my phone tomorrow and purposely try to get a purple lens flare

Pretty sure I have taken photos directly at the sun to see how they turned out and not ended up with a purple anything on them, just dark with a bright spot where the sun is, but I`ll have a go tomorrow

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,004 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:35

Yep, apparently people think you can just take photos of the sun almost directly and it won't affect the photo in the slightest, even though it will affect a camera sensor in a similar way to what it would an eye.

The thing is on the iPhone 5 it happens on all light sources, and while you can get a flare on every camera, the iPhone 5 has a huge range of effect where's most others have much smaller ranges, and can perfectly fine take pictures with light sources and even the sun in angles the iPhone 5 can't without the purple haze.

Also it's not simply about a flare. It's a flare plus the purple haze, if it had been just a flare it wouldn't have been an issue

Plastic vs Glass.

Most above average camera phones, iPhone included afaik uses glass not plastic lenses and covers.

It's dark here now, but I`m gonna take a few photos with my phone tomorrow and purposely try to get a purple lens flare

Pretty sure I have taken photos directly at the sun to see how they turned out and not ended up with a purple anything on them, just dark with a bright spot where the sun is, but I`ll have a go tomorrow

I shot a video of my dog running around the other day, several time he was running towards the sun. While I did get a flare, never did I get the purple hazing, in or outside the flare.

#24 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,319 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:48

The thing is on the iPhone 5 it happens on all light sources, and while you can get a flare on every camera, the iPhone 5 has a huge range of effect where's most others have much smaller ranges, and can perfectly fine take pictures with light sources and even the sun in angles the iPhone 5 can't without the purple haze.

Also it's not simply about a flare. It's a flare plus the purple haze, if it had been just a flare it wouldn't have been an issue

You're right, there's a purple haze when I take a picture with my living room light just out of the frame, and that's not really that bright.

Can't think of a time I'd ever need to take such a photo though so I guess I'll live with it :p

Some people have speculated it's the Sapphire coating on the lens cover.

#25 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,221 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:52

Here's the photo I took. On a Galaxy Nexus.

http://localhostr.co...1003_101616.jpg

Is that... Jesus?

#26 p1p3

p1p3

Out of print

• 318 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:59

sorry but my Galaxy s 2 does't do that at all. this is iPhone 5 hardware problem not software. so Apple have no fix for the problem believe me .

Here is a quick picture i took with my S2, not as much as some pictures I have seen but there is clearly purple in it.
http://i.imgur.com/2oeou.jpg

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,682 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:12

Exactly. We're talking about shots where they take the same picture on different phones - including the iPhone 4S - and it is only the iPhone 5 that is affected. I've never come across this on any phone I've owned yet users of the iPhone 5 started noticing the purple flare immediately, which is interesting after Apple touted how the camera was improved.

#28 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• 5,685 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:21

They're making it wrong.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,004 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:21

You're right, there's a purple haze when I take a picture with my living room light just out of the frame, and that's not really that bright.

Can't think of a time I'd ever need to take such a photo though so I guess I'll live with it :p

Some people have speculated it's the Sapphire coating on the lens cover.

It's not about specifically taking those photos or videos, but rather lights occurring like that when you take pictures, which happens a lot more than you think.

I don't think it's really a reason to avoid the iPhone 5 for those in the eco system, but for those not, it would be a reason to avoid it, and for those who want a good camera, it's a good reason to chose another, but then the iphone 5 camera isn't that great to start with compared to other good camera phones, so it wouldn't be at the top on those lists anyway.

#30 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• 6,696 posts
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:37

I had it do it to me on multiple occasions.. BUT.. The weirdest problem I have seen was it did it on a video I recorded while at the local JV football game Thursday night.

In the right hand bottom of the screen, about at the fence post you can see some weird fragment moving around.. It wasn't an any photo I took or other videos I have done. I assume it was because of the way the lights were angling off the camera