• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#46 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,475 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:13

Look at this NASA-taken picture. Tell me what you see at the top of the picture. Right… (Purple) lens flare! If it can happen on a picture taken by a camera used by NASA, why could it not happen on an iPhone or any other cameras for that matter?

Because mindlessly jumping on the "Apple sucks" bandwagon in order to score cheap approval points of others is important to some.

#47 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,613 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:14

That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 99.9% of photos suffering from this are terrible, anyway, and the ones that weren't will look fine with it.

I'd reckon you're right ;)

#48 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:18

Gosh! Have we really gone this far? So far that we all believed that the "it just works" mentality has entitled us to just complain about any thing, and blame this on a design defect?

The simple fact that people are complaining about lens flares and chromatic aberrations just shows how much they absolutely do not know how lens, light, refractions and other high-school physics work. They probably were sleeping in class, or just simply erased those teachings from their memory because they classified this as "Why am I learning this, it will not be useful to me in real life".

What's next? Are they going to complain that we cannot use the phone under water, and that we cannot make phone calls because the battery is dead?

Lens flares, chromatic aberrations, etc., are as old as lenses and cameras. That means centuries. Why do you think photographers use polarised filters, take multiple shots, and use a plethora of accessories when working with intense light source? For the fun of it, perhaps?

Cameras use many lenses. Light trapped between lens components, the coating of the lenses, the materials use to fabricate the lenses, can all create aberrations in the output. And this holds true for cheap cameras to very expensive ones.

Look at this NASA-taken picture. Tell me what you see at the top of the picture. Right… (Purple) lens flare! If it can happen on a picture taken by a camera used by NASA, why could it not happen on an iPhone or any other cameras for that matter?

Posted Image

Are you seriously comparing a NASA camera, which probably has a massive lens aperture and sensor to accomodate a far wider scope, to the iPhone? And justifying the purple effect on the iPhone? This NASA camera can probably still capture the sun in the other hemisphere while it's setting in one. Jesus probably used the iPhone 5 to capture the Big Bang?

Funny, the only likes you've got on your post are from the well known iToots, who'll toot their horn no matter what.

#49 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,382 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:25

Is that... Jesus?

Yeah I was gonna ask him what he was doing in my kitchen but I was too nervous.

But yeah I was trying to show it is possible to do it on any camera. :rofl:

#50 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,545 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:56

While I've never experienced this problem on any of my iPhones up to & including the 4S or any of my android phones, it seems odd to me that every time apple have a problem with their devices, their response is often, "all phones do it, so shut up"

#51 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• 11,088 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:59

While I've never experienced this problem on any of my iPhones up to & including the 4S or any of my android phones, it seems odd to me that every time apple have a problem with their devices, their response is often, "all phones do it, so shut up"

And I've never had it happen on my iPhone 5, so I guess it never happens. Glad we got that one sorted out!

#52 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:48

Are you seriously comparing a NASA camera, which probably has a massive lens aperture and sensor to accomodate a far wider scope, to the iPhone? And justifying the purple effect on the iPhone? This NASA camera can probably still capture the sun in the other hemisphere while it's setting in one. Jesus probably used the iPhone 5 to capture the Big Bang?

Funny, the only likes you've got on your post are from the well known iToots, who'll toot their horn no matter what.

I bloody damn well am! Flares can happen with any camera. So what's your point?

#53 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:10

I bloody damn well am! Flares can happen with any camera. So what's your point?

Your comparison is Bullshiz, that's the point ya git.

Why stop there, go find pics of the Hubble space camera to compare it to the iPhone 5 because you bloody damn well can!

You're too much fun.

#54 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:15

Are you seriously comparing a NASA camera, which probably has a massive lens aperture and sensor to accomodate a far wider scope, to the iPhone?

Yes, these are camera words. No, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. :geek:

#55 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,403 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:50

Yes, these are camera words. No, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. :geek:

It's still a completely invalid comparison

#56 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:54

It's still a completely invalid comparison

Why. Please tell me what kind of camera that NASA picture was taken with, because a lot of them are taken with small sensor web cams.

This isn't magic, light goes into a little hole, and a sensor picks it up. Depending on the light source, angle, and the depth of the lens, flare can happen, the camera is irrelevant.

#57 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,853 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:56

My Galaxy S 3 (which according to a bias Jury is a clone of an iPhone) does not do that either.

#58 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:13

Why. Please tell me what kind of camera that NASA picture was taken with, because a lot of them are taken with small sensor web cams.

This isn't magic, light goes into a little hole, and a sensor picks it up. Depending on the light source, angle, and the depth of the lens, flare can happen, the camera is irrelevant.

This isn't magic? You mean Steve Jobs had been lying all along?

Why don't you ask the guy who made the comparison about which camera NASA took the picture with? And while you're at it, go find pics taken with the Hubble's cameras to compare.

The higher the iPhone's numbering goes, the greater the idiocy of iToots grows.

#59 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,929 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:41

Funny how the previous phones didn't have this issue. Again Apple is not accepting the blame and passing it on to the customers making it their problem. Just like the antenna fiasco.

I understand what apple is saying, but there is a quality problem if no previous phones has the purple effect. Yes. This can happen on different devices but it appears to be more likely with the 5

#60 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:50

I understand what apple is saying, but there is a quality problem if no previous phones has the purple effect. Yes. This can happen on different devices but it appears to be more likely with the 5

Except the phone is thinner. It's a compromise issue, most likely the thinner phone required a thinner lens (or there's less case covering the lens, which was more prone to flare.

The quality issue is really with the photographers, though. :laugh: