Apple explains purple flare issue affecting camera on iPhone 5 and other ph

So people should have a thicker phone so other people can take pictures of DIRECT SUNLIGHT?

Brilliant! :laugh:

Nope, but Apple shouldnt sacrifice quality over a 1mm thickness decrease.

And it isnt direct sunlight. And depending on the pic, the sun makes the picture...again, it wasnt direct sunlight. But again, they made the phone thinner and in turn screws with a key feature/selling point of their device.

So people should have a thicker phone so other people can take pictures of DIRECT SUNLIGHT?

Brilliant! :laugh:

It happens when the sun and other light sources aren't even in the image.. So yes, other phones can take pictures while the sun shines on the side of the phone.

• Like 2

You are just talking rubbish. You go learn the physics of lenses. Lenses are lenses, and they may create flares no matter their size, focal point, coating, material composition, price point or whatever. If you still fail to understand this, well I am surely not going to explain that to you any further.

Yes, iBub, lenses are lenses. So where are the Hubble shots?

Nope, but Apple shouldnt sacrifice quality over a 1mm thickness decrease.

And it isnt direct sunlight. And depending on the pic, the sun makes the picture...again, it wasnt direct sunlight. But again, they made the phone thinner and in turn screws with a key feature/selling point of their device.

Let me put it to you a different way, anyone who knows what causes this knows how to fix it, iPhone or otherwise. Anyone who doesn't, probably doesn't care much about photography anyway, so it's hardly a "key feature".

This is like arguing that when reflected light hits your eyes it's bright, and that's a failure on whoever designed your eyes.

Let me put it to you a different way, anyone who knows what causes this knows how to fix it, iPhone or otherwise. Anyone who doesn't, probably doesn't care much about photography anyway, so it's hardly a "key feature".

This is like arguing that when reflected light hits your eyes it's bright, and that's a failure on whoever designed your eyes.

So it's no big deal when a phone is affected by flaring and hazing at mich wider angles than EVERY other phone, and when you get flares, they get bigger with a bigger hazing area that's far more pronounced and when you don't have flaring but you have the sun hiting on the phone from the side, you get hazing all across the side of the image. something again, no other phone shows.

Yes the flaring happens on everything, and the hazing with sun hitting the phone while not being in the picture happens on old phones with bad scratchy plastic lenses. but the flaring and hazing isn't even remotely as bad or easy to get on other phones.

Yes it's avoidable. BUT it's a phone, it's a instant point and shoot camera. it's not a DSLR. it's not there for you to compose great shoots. it's there to take goods pictures of what's happening around you. without you needing to worry about composting or having to stand this way while tilting over sideways and holding your hand at an awkward angle to shade the sun, and moving the phone a little more to not have the hand in the picture and sacrificing two virgins while burning black devil candles on a pentagram while.... oh ooops. the kids stopped doing that funny thing you where going to take a picture of about 5 minutes ago.

To bad you had an iphone so instead of taking a photo right away, maybe with a small flare up int he corner, your picture is instead half covered in a flare, and the other half is badly tinted purple and you can't see what's going on. But hey, this flaring and hazing is no big deal and won't affect anyone...

• Like 2

Yes it's avoidable. BUT it's a phone, it's a instant point and shoot camera. it's not a DSLR. it's not there for you to compose great shoots.

You're half right, here, in that most people will take unremarkable photos with their phone, in which case the flare is an issue, in that it will add more purple haze to an already bad picture.

You're wrong saying it's not there to compose great shots. Good photographers can take good pictures with anything, and they would have already been aware of this issue.

So, ****ty pictures got shittier. Or, iPhone 5 pics got pre-instagrammed. Whatever.

You're half right, here, in that most people will take unremarkable photos with their phone, in which case the flare is an issue, in that it will add more purple haze to an already bad picture. You're wrong saying it's not there to compose great shots. Good photographers can take good pictures with anything, and they would have already been aware of this issue. So, ****ty pictures got shittier. Or, iPhone 5 pics got pre-instagrammed. Whatever.

By your logic, you're saying every snapshot not taken by a professional photographer is ****ty.

I'd say, potentially good or even great pictures turn ****ty.

By your logic, you're saying every snapshot not taken by a professional photographer is ****ty.

I'd say, potentially good or even great pictures turn ****ty.

Nope. Every photograph that doesn't account for lighting is ****ty.

bulls...

regular people take great photographs all the time. without needing to know about lighting techniques. sometimes it's not about the light but about what happens, and outdoor pics in the daytime have somewhat different requirements for lighting anyway.

The point is a great pic of your kids playing, or your dog or anything taken on a P&S or a decent camera phone, could on the iPhone5 euther have a big flare in the corner, or have purple hazing across half the picture.

regular people take great photographs all the time. without needing to know about lighting techniques. sometimes it's not about the light but about what happens, and outdoor pics in the daytime have somewhat different requirements for lighting anyway.

The point is a great pic of your kids playing, or your dog or anything taken on a P&S or a decent camera phone, could on the iPhone5 euther have a big flare in the corner, or have purple hazing across half the picture.

People take photographs all the time. Great photographs, with absolutely no consideration for technique? That's gotta be pretty rare... and I don't think a bit of lens flare is going to really cut down on the number of those.

People take photographs all the time. Great photographs, with absolutely no consideration for technique? That's gotta be pretty rare... and I don't think a bit of lens flare is going to really cut down on the number of those.

A photograph of, say, my boss faceplanting could be a great photo, and it could be absolutely ruined by a huge flare.

It's not like I could ask him to faceplant again to take another shoot.

A photograph of, say, my boss faceplanting could be a great photo, and it could be absolutely ruined by a huge flare.

It's not like I could ask him to faceplant again to take another shoot.

don't bother,he's into the photography elitism, and only pro photographers who follows the rules of 3's and parallels and pairs and symmetry can take good photos.

Apparently people can't take good photos of their kids on the trampoline, riding their first bike, your dog in the first snow and all that. their all **** unless you're a pro photographer, who first set up the tripod and a lighting rig and then train the dog in exactly what he's going to do in the snow so you get him to do the exact right thing in the exact right place for the lighting and all to be perfect.

or you know, maybe he hasn'theard of action photography.

don't bother,he's into the photography elitism, and only pro photographers who follows the rules of 3's and parallels and pairs and symmetry can take good photos.

Apparently people can't take good photos of their kids on the trampoline, riding their first bike, your dog in the first snow and all that. their all **** unless you're a pro photographer, who first set up the tripod and a lighting rig and then train the dog in exactly what he's going to do in the snow so you get him to do the exact right thing in the exact right place for the lighting and all to be perfect.

or you know, maybe he hasn'theard of action photography.

Again, you can take these photos, and this flare issue will not affect them AT ALL.

Unless you can find me some "great" or even decent photos ruined by purple haze, you're just spouting nonsense.

Again, you can take these photos, and this flare issue will not affect them AT ALL.

Unless you can find me some "great" or even decent photos ruined by purple haze, you're just spouting nonsense.

So when a mother takes a great picture of her kids on the trampoline. and half the picture is covered by purple hazing because the sun shone on the phone from the side, that is what you call "not affected at all" ?

Actually human eyes are designed quite poorly, there are giant squid with far superior and similar eye design. This however would be pretty useless to us humans as the light reception would be too bright.

There are also other animals with superior eye design

Not sure what this has to do with a camera lens though