21 posts in this topic

Posted

Google's unilateral change to its privacy policy in March will come under fire from European [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/data-protection"]data protection[/url] commissioners within days, sources say.
The controversial changes, in which Google tied together the previously separate data collected under services including its search engine, YouTube and Google+ were announced in January and [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/mar/01/google-privacy-policy-changes-eu"]implemented two months later[/url]. While creating a unified privacy policy across all the services, it also in effect amassed the data into a single location.

That attracted widespread criticism

Posted

EU political logic: let's try to fix the economy we ****ed by stealing money from American-based companies :)
3 people like this

Posted

I look forward to the day us Brits are allowed to vote on whether we remain part of the EU.
3 people like this

Posted

haha kind of funny these guys are worrying about googles policies with our data...seem to recall the UK considering data retention and spy agency power expansions in recent times, where were these guys then /rollseyes.

Posted

[quote name='StevenJ' timestamp='1349700234' post='595233193']
EU political logic: let's try to fix the economy we ****ed by stealing money from American-based companies :)
[/quote]
American company logic: Let's have no respect for local legislation whatsoever, screw over consumers one way or the other and then try to get away with it.
7 people like this

Posted

[quote name='jamieakers' timestamp='1349701011' post='595233199']
I look forward to the day us Brits are allowed to vote on whether we remain part of the EU.
[/quote]
You and me both. Don't forget to blow up the Channel Tunnel on your way out. We'll take care of closing down our ports to everything British.
2 people like this

Posted

[/quote]
Because Google is good for your nation.
You realise that most hands-on jobs are right now held by eastern Europeans and the minute they go we will end up with a community of bankers and lawyers?
1 person likes this

Posted

The should be allowed to keep the data as one database but delete search data, browsing history (not data like emails, etc) older than one year.

Posted

[quote name='.Neo' timestamp='1349701609' post='595233219']

American company logic: Let's have no respect for local legislation whatsoever, screw over consumers one way or the other and then try to get away with it.
[/quote]

Like Apple has screwed over customers with the antenna issue and now the purple flare. Apple can only make good products and any problems are the users.
And Microsoft has had their dare share if issues like this... A long with other non American companies.

This is nothing new in the tech world. So many different laws to abide by around the world that companies are bound to screw up. I'm sure Google will do right by this. If not, then I'm sure the proper penalties will be given out.

Posted

[/quote]

I can imagine the stupidity Cameron will come up with afterwards.

Posted

[quote name='StevenJ' timestamp='1349700234' post='595233193']
[/quote]
lol how old are you, 12?
And its about privacy, not money. that kind of money talk is in your joke country, where the company that makes money does whatever they want, because they have the money and money talks, right?.
No wonder when your country runs out of money, start a war, using anything as an excuse.

Posted

[/quote]
And when that day comes, please spend a little time considering 'why' so much of our media wants us to leave the EU. Many of the rights you take for granted - consumer protection laws, workers rights - are EU laws.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1349722259' post='595233895']
Like Apple has screwed over customers with the antenna issue and now the purple flare. Apple can only make good products and any problems are the users.
And Microsoft has had their dare share if issues like this... A long with other non American companies.[/quote]
That's why it's so important the EU has these consumer protection laws in place and fines companies that breach it.

[b]PS[/b] If you want to discuss the purple flare issue I suggest you go to the appropriate [url="http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1110711-apple-explains-purple-flare-issue-affecting-camera-on-iphone-5-and-other-phones/"]thread[/url]. It has nothing to do with this subject as explained there.

Posted

This is nothing new. Google is always breaking some law somewhere.

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1349734988' post='595234293']
This is nothing new. Google is always breaking some law somewhere.
[/quote]

As are all companies :p

Posted

[quote name='.Neo' timestamp='1349726891' post='595234033']
[b]PS[/b] If you want to discuss the purple flare issue I suggest you go to the appropriate [url="http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1110711-apple-explains-purple-flare-issue-affecting-camera-on-iphone-5-and-other-phones/"]thread[/url]. It has nothing to do with this subject as explained there.
[/quote]

It was to prove a point. Companies screw up and either they make good, or they will pay a price some how. This is nothing really new to whats been happening for a long time.

[b]PS[/b] I dont need you to tell me where to post or what to post. If you have a problem with what I say, I suggest you PM a Admin/Moderator.

Posted

[quote name='thealexweb' timestamp='1349736410' post='595234345']
As are all companies :p
[/quote]

True. :)

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1349738635' post='595234419']
It was to prove a point. Companies screw up and either they make good, or they will pay a price some how. This is nothing really new to whats been happening for a long time.[/quote]
Personally I haven't seen anyone act surprised. Have you? I think it's good the media picks up on these things and legislation is put in place to protect consumer rights. Keeps companies on their toes.

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1349738635' post='595234419'][b]PS[/b] I dont need you to tell me where to post or what to post.
[/quote]
Luckily I don't tailor the content of my posts to suit your needs.

Posted

[quote name='.Neo' timestamp='1349740054' post='595234475']
Personally I haven't seen anyone act surprised. Have you?
[/quote]

Nope, nor did I say anyone was. Just giving MO

Posted

Genius idea for if you don't like your lack of privacy: Don't use Google's services.

If you ask me, this is like making laws that say you shouldn't be able to take photos of people in a public space. Which you can. Where I live anyways.

Posted

[quote name='Jazirian' timestamp='1349726566' post='595234025']
And when that day comes, please spend a little time considering 'why' so much of our media wants us to leave the EU. Many of the rights you take for granted - consumer protection laws, workers rights - are EU laws.
[/quote]

Many UK laws, including those you mentioned, already existed in the UK beforehand and are actually much more stringent than many of the EU versions.