Jump to content



Photo

Teenager drinks cocktail containing liquid Nitrogen, has Stomach removed


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,318 posts
  • Joined: 18-February 07
  • Location: England

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:20

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

Oh my, how stupid must the person who served her that have been?!


#2 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

    Neowinian Senior

  • 1,878 posts
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:30

who the hell in there right mind would drink a cocktail with liquid nitrogen in it, not saying anything about the girl cus they prolly thought it was a name for someat else but thats insane. drinks industry must really be struggling to come up with new stuff putting that in a drink

#3 zhangm

zhangm

    Just bitter.

  • 9,996 posts
  • Joined: 21-August 02

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:31

My dorm used to go through tens of liters of liquid nitrogen to make ice cream.

Not quite sure how you could consume something containing LN and not notice that something might be amiss.

#4 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

    Tiger Trainer

  • 16,659 posts
  • Joined: 07-August 03
  • Location: Terra Prime Profession: Jaded Sceptic
  • OS: Windows 10 Preview
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:33

I read about this earlier. It really is shocking and I'm appalled that something like this could happen. While it's not the sort of drink I would ever order I do not blame the girl, as people have a reasonable expectation that products they are served are fit for purpose - in the case of a drink that means being safe for consumption. Clearly this was not. This is a disgusting trend and one which I hope will now disappear overnight now that people are aware of the risks.

Not quite sure how you could consume something containing LN and not notice that something might be amiss.


It apparently only takes a few drops to cause the amount of harm she suffered, which would have been possible if she drank the drink quickly. Like with any extreme temperature it can take a second or two to react to it, by which time it would have been too late. While she may have shown poor judgement - and that remains to be seen, nor is it appropriate to blame the victim - the fault lies with the premises for serving a fundamentally unsafe product.

#5 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,318 posts
  • Joined: 18-February 07
  • Location: England

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:37

who the hell in there right mind would drink a cocktail with liquid nitrogen in it, not saying anything about the girl cus they prolly thought it was a name for someat else but thats insane. drinks industry must really be struggling to come up with new stuff putting that in a drink


It's supposed to create a flashy effect when the nitrogen boils and all the vapours come off in a cloud. I'm pretty sure the bar is at fault and shouldn't have let her drink it until it had stopped smoking. The bar can't just assume that drunk people will know or respect that they're not supposed to drink it until all of the Nitrogen has evaporated.

My dorm used to go through tens of liters of liquid nitrogen to make ice cream.

Not quite sure how you could consume something containing LN and not notice that something might be amiss.


She felt slightly breathless a little while after drinking it then collapsed in pain apparently.

#6 Enron

Enron

    Windows for Workgroups

  • 10,052 posts
  • Joined: 30-May 11
  • OS: Windows 8.1 U1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:37

Maybe she thought she was a T1000 and could come back together after being shattered.

#7 Crisp

Crisp

    To infinity and beyond

  • 5,506 posts
  • Joined: 06-May 10
  • Location: 127.0.0.1

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:42

I'll have mine shaken smoking, not stirred!

#8 Arceles

Arceles

    Time Craymel

  • 2,101 posts
  • Joined: 28-November 09
  • Location: 4th dimmension.
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:43

Liquid Nitrogen, bringing overclock to a whole new level /s

#9 limok

limok

    Neowinian

  • 1,218 posts
  • Joined: 20-May 04
  • Location: Manchester, UK
  • OS: Windows 8.1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4, iPhone 5

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:44

How is this even legal?

#10 wv@gt

wv@gt

    Neowinian Senior

  • 4,179 posts
  • Joined: 19-May 04
  • Location: Atlanta, GA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:45

crazy, indeed. My freshman year of college, the big thing was for the bars to do flaming shots, saw a guy get is face lit up. Now the new thing is liquid nitrogen. What ever happened to the nice days of having a chill drink with some friends?

#11 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

    Tiger Trainer

  • 16,659 posts
  • Joined: 07-August 03
  • Location: Terra Prime Profession: Jaded Sceptic
  • OS: Windows 10 Preview
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:46

I'm pretty sure the bar is at fault and shouldn't have let her drink it until it had stopped smoking. The bar can't just assume that drunk people will know or respect that they're not supposed to drink it until all of the Nitrogen has evaporated.


No, the fault definitely lies with the bar for serving an unsafe product. It shouldn't be used at all. You can't have a product that when consumed a few seconds too early could kill you, especially when in the hands of people not trained to use it. Premises aren't allowed to serve drinks at over 100C, so why should they be allowed to serve something more than twice that amount below 0C?

How is this even legal?


If it is actually legal then I imagine it won't be for much longer. It amounts to reckless endangerment of the public health.

#12 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,318 posts
  • Joined: 18-February 07
  • Location: England

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:01

How is this even legal?


Places that provide a service have a legal obligation to make sure that what they're serving is fit for consumption by humans, so what they did, if it is found that the liquid nitrogen was 100% to blame for her injury, is highly illegal.

No, the fault definitely lies with the bar for serving an unsafe product. It shouldn't be used at all. You can't have a product that when consumed a few seconds too early could kill you, especially when in the hands of people not trained to use it. Premises aren't allowed to serve drinks at over 100C, so why should they be allowed to serve something more than twice that amount below 0C?



If it is actually legal then I imagine it won't be for much longer. It amounts to reckless endangerment of the public health.


That's what I'm saying. It's not necessarily that such cocktails are unsafe and must be banned, just that bars need to provide proper training to their staff so that they don't hand over the cocktail until it's safe to drink (i.e. until the nitrogen has evaporated completely).

Due to the threat of legal action I imagine a lot of bars would simply not serve them in the first place after this.

#13 FightAndLive

FightAndLive

    Neowinian

  • 341 posts
  • Joined: 31-August 12

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:08

Places that provide a service have a legal obligation to make sure that what they're serving is fit for consumption by humans, so what they did, if it is found that the liquid nitrogen was 100% to blame for her injury, is highly illegal.



That's what I'm saying. It's not necessarily that such cocktails are unsafe and must be banned, just that bars need to provide proper training to their staff so that they don't hand over the cocktail until it's safe to drink (i.e. until the nitrogen has evaporated completely).

Due to the threat of legal action I imagine a lot of bars would simply not serve them in the first place after this.


Personally if I knew a bar used liquid nitrogen to mix their drinks I wouldn't go there. Bar Tenders get swamped pretty quickly odds of them doing any type of waiting is a ridiculous notion.

#14 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,318 posts
  • Joined: 18-February 07
  • Location: England

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:12

Personally if I knew a bar used liquid nitrogen to mix their drinks I wouldn't go there. Bar Tenders get swamped pretty quickly odds of them doing any type of waiting is a ridiculous notion.


She ordered a "Nitrogen Jaggermeister" so it's not like the bar hid the fact there was Liquid Nitrogen in it.

You're probably right, there's no realistic way they could safely serve it.

#15 FightAndLive

FightAndLive

    Neowinian

  • 341 posts
  • Joined: 31-August 12

Posted 08 October 2012 - 18:15

She ordered a "Nitrogen Jaggermeister" so it's not like the bar hid the fact there was Liquid Nitrogen in it.

You're probably right, there's no realistic way they could safely serve it.


The point is its on the premises, most bar tenders mix more than one drink at the same time, which goes back to my point if bar tenders are trying to knock this stuff out as fast as possible the risk of contamination grows exponentially with more and more customers swarming the bar.

Most bar tenders at least in LA put four drinks on the bar and do them pretty close to simultaneously to put on a show and get more tips, at least in my opinion its to powerful of a substance to be in the hands of people that don't appreciate how deadly liquid nitrogen is.