To all the "could of" morons...

From my observation, "could of" "would of" "should of" are typically used by Brits, while "its" and "your" are used by Americans.

Your observations are wrong.

A casual stroll through any Internet forum dictates otherwise.

Your observations are wrong.

A casual stroll through any Internet forum dictates otherwise.

You must of only strolled a few, then.

At least you got that one right. I want to strangle Americans when they say "I could care less".

I do not possess a lesser care than that of the one I have for this idea.

At least you got that one right. I want to strangle Americans when they say "I could care less".

And what if they really could care less? :rofl:

I'm always confused between effect and affect, and this still doesn't make it much clear. Like in:

Does this law affect/effect me? or

This law is still in affect/effect.

Another thing I never know how to use is can and could. They both mean the same thing so what's the difference between saying something like:

Can you pass on the bowl of popcorn? &

Could you pass on the bowl of popcorn?

I'm always confused between effect and affect, and this still doesn't make it much clear. Like in:

Does this law affect/effect me? or

This law is still in affect/effect.

Another thing I never know how to use is can and could. They both mean the same thing so what's the difference between saying something like:

Can you pass on the bowl of popcorn? &

Could you pass on the bowl of popcorn?

The first one: affect

The second one: effect

Not sure how to explain that one besides what it says, an action and result. I'm not great with this one either, sometimes.

Now "can", and "could". Could(n't) expresses the possibility (or lack) of something. Can('t) expresses the ability or certainty (or lack) of something.

Best example I can think of: "It couldn't be true," would signify a disbelief of a possibility, that might or might not be true.

"It can't be true," would signify that in all likelihood, you wouldn't believe something.

Or, "I can do that today." Meaning that you will definitely do something.

"I could do that today," means there is a possibility you could do something.

Hope that made sense.

I don't mind American English, but the only thing that really irritates me is when some American people say that they have no accent.

What do you mean you have no accent?! Do you think American is the default setting for human speech?? idiots. :rofl:

I don't mind American English, but the only thing that really irritates me is when some American people say that they have no accent.

What do you mean you have no accent?! Do you think American is the default setting for human speech?? idiots. :rofl:

They are usually referring to other American's, not comparing to British English.

The "accent" that isn't an "accent" here is usually referring to what is known as the "television accent." It has no discernible area of origin, other than on TV. As compared to a New York (northeast) accent, or Chicago area, or southern accent, or western American. I speak with the same "TV" accent, where you wouldn't be able to tell where I am from in America, because I don't hold an accent specific to an area.