Skydiver to try record-breaking jump from 23 miles up

Can someone tell me how the capsule comes back down?

:)

I am guessing it will be like a helium balloon you get at a party, eventually they just float down.

Also this is awesome, if I did this I would of been followed by a stream of brown liquid aha xD.

What records did he break exactly?

The balloon pops and gravity takes over I would imagine, probably much the same way Felix came down

Between the capsule and the balloon is a parachute, once Felix was safely away on his dive the capsule was released from the balloon and parachuted down. I think that said it landed about 40miles from the launch site (was mentioned in the press conf but i could be wrong i wasn't completely paying attention at that point). But I'm fairly certain it has landed safely. As for what happens to the balloon I'm not sure.

Its not very detailed or specific but it does mention that there is a parachute for the capsule here: http://www.redbullstratos.com/technology/capsule/

Next stop is the group that wants to SpaceDive from above the Karman Line - the defined boundary of space at 100 km / 62 miles. Useful for bailing out of suborbital spacecraft and during orbital launches.

Next stop is the group that wants to SpaceDive from above the Karman Line - the defined boundary of space at 100 km / 62 miles. Useful for bailing out of suborbital spacecraft and during orbital launches.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go on to do that with support from NASA or another space agency...one of the main goals was to see if that would theoretically be possible (bailing out of craft)...it appears it is....

Tho I think if they were going from higher they'd need some sort of retrorocket/stabilization...he almost span out of control on this one and only got it back cause he started to get enough air resistance to exert some control... going from near on 3 times as high for a Karman line jump, I don't think he'd have survived.

1st Footage from his suit is up! (Chest cam looking at his head)

http://youtu.be/qGlF4Wtf1WM

source: http://www.theverge....ed-bull-stratos

Honestly looking at this, I think he could have gotten faster if it wasn't that he lost control and started spinning pretty erratically Also they said his face shield fogged up, which means he had problems seeing so that sucked.

>

... going from near on 3 times as high for a Karman line jump, I don't think he'd have survived.

They could deploy a drogue chute higher than they did to slow the descent, just before he went into the spin. The only reason they didn't here was to break the sound barrier.

Techs from orbit being exploref would include the use of an inflatable heat shoeld, possibly actively cooled by gas discharged into the plasma at the hot side. NASA toyed with this as MOOSE about 50 years ago but materials science wasn't up to it. Now it is, and one was tested unmanned last year. It worked.

MOOSE (Man Out Of Space; Easiest)

moose3v.jpg

Modern testbed

irve.jpg

Didn't they say he hit around 800 mph though? Isn't that fast enough haha

833.9mph (Mach 1.24) and No, lets get him to 1000mph!

That MOOSE is cool... strange name lol...I wonder what the harder methods where...

That MOOSE is cool... strange name lol...I wonder what the harder methods where...

"Easiest" in terms of KISS (keep it simple stupid.) "Harder" would be a more complex device like an ejectable capsule.