What Windows Phone 8 could have been!

So, I'm pretty upset that T-Mobile will not have any high end Windows Phone 8 devices. Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC 8X will only be on AT&T. Most likely the Samsung ATIV S will be on AT&T. T-Mobile will have the Lumia 810 which has no PureView and a 800x600 screen. It's pretty much an HTC HD7 but just has Windows Phone 8 in it. What a job and I can understand why WP has not gotten much in the hands of people.

What I have done if I was Microsoft would have made all the Device makers made two(2) phones, One high end and one low end and all cellular company would have them. This way if people don't want to spend the extra $100 for the high end phone then they can get the low end and still have WP8. It's one of the reason why Samsung Galaxy S3 has done so well even though if you hold one it feels really cheap.

What are your thoughts on this?

Nokia was successful in the past because their phones, previously, were seldom, or not at all, carrier-exclusive.

Personally, I don't like this approach of Nokia'. They need to get as many people as they can, and this current approach ain't helping.

The phones need not be carrier-exclusive.

So, I'm pretty upset that T-Mobile will not have any high end Windows Phone 8 devices. Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC 8X will only be on AT&T. Most likely the Samsung ATIV S will be on AT&T. T-Mobile will have the Lumia 810 which has no PureView and a 800x600 screen. It's pretty much an HTC HD7 but just has Windows Phone 8 in it. What a job and I can understand why WP has not gotten much in the hands of people.

What I have done if I was Microsoft would have made all the Device makers made two(2) phones, One high end and one low end and all cellular company would have them. This way if people don't want to spend the extra $100 for the high end phone then they can get the low end and still have WP8. It's one of the reason why Samsung Galaxy S3 has done so well even though if you hold one it feels really cheap.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ignoring the fact that it's not Microsoft's decision to make, I don't see what the big deal is. If you want a Lumia 920 you have two options:

• switch carrier
  • buy the phone SIM-free.

The thing is that the carrier thing is a US thing. I Europe everyone is GSM, and unless the phone is locked you just replace the sim. If its locked you unlock it first. And all phones(barring one colors) can be bought unlocked.

Though buying on a 1 year contract, DOES in fact save you money on mid to high end phones.

Verizon??? I hate ATT and I will NEVER go with them..... I want a Verizon WP8 device for my next phone, as Verizon has best coverage in my area, as well as the areas I travel. ATT has the worst... even Sprint is better.

Nokia was successful in the past because their phones, previously, were seldom, or not at all, carrier-exclusive.

Personally, I don't like this approach of Nokia'. They need to get as many people as they can, and this current approach ain't helping.

The phones need not be carrier-exclusive.

Nokia was successful outside the US. In the US, not so much.

I'm pretty sure HTC said that the 8X will also be on Verizon. At this point the only carrier, of the big ones, in the US that won't have a new WP8 device of any type seems to be Sprint.

I don't want to switch because T-Mobile has the cheapest rate and don't want to spend $30 more a month on service. On a family plan of 5 people with 5gb of 4G, unlimited text and 1500 min for only $180. No way I'm switching to Att for an extra $100 a month.

So you buy the phone from the UK unlocked.. I mean seriously. Don't blame Nokia for the horrible carrier controlled system you have in the US. AT&T won't sell the phone unless they have it exclusively. They will, of all carriers, likely sell most so obviously Nokia gives them what they want. Pretty? No, but unless the system in the US changes there's nothing you can do.

If you don't want to switch then the only hope left is for the phone you really want to support the t-mobile bands and buy it unlocked and pop in your t-mobile sim. Sure it will cost more up front but honestly if it's something like the 920 for example which I plan to buy this way then I expect you to keep it for a good 2 years at least. I plan to keep it for at least that much and more unless they force us to buy new devices yet again for WP9 but I doubt that will be the case.

Verizon??? I hate ATT and I will NEVER go with them..... I want a Verizon WP8 device for my next phone, as Verizon has best coverage in my area, as well as the areas I travel. ATT has the worst... even Sprint is better.

It's been known for a while that HTC 8X and 8S are coming to 3 of the four major carriers. So if you are on t-mo or verizon, your best Windows Phone option as of now is 8X.