• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:06

You know, depending on your resolution even the taskbar has a limit on how many things it can show, just like the new metro switcher does. When people who went on about the start screen were told to just pin things they use the most to the taskbar they snapped back saying that they don't have enough space there for everything. Metro apps will work in the background on their schedule regardless of if they're added to the lock screen or show up in the switcher unless the system needs more RAM and then they get paged out or closed.

As some have said I think people are mixing things up here, the limits on what you can add to your lock screen are different from the limits of how many apps can show up in the switcher and so on. In the end the apps should all just work, in the background, regardless. The only difference is if they're running on a schedule or if you're on a desktop without battery constraints and they just run normally when they have to.

#32 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 15 October 2012 - 15:26

I don't know if you're being serious or not here... You're seriously suggesting that we shouldn't be allowed to run more than one app at a time on Quad Core CPUs with HT (which effectively handle 8 threads at a time)?

I never suggested anything of the sort. What makes you think I did?

#33 reallyjoel

reallyjoel

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:13

If background apps only get 1-2 CPU seconds per 15 minutes, how come there are music streaming apps that run just fine in the background? Is that enough for them, or is there something else I'm missing?

I thought metro apps could only be in focus, suspended, or not running. And suspended (background apps) only got very little CPU time allotted to them for push notifications and such.

Anyone?

#34 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:02

If background apps only get 1-2 CPU seconds per 15 minutes, how come there are music streaming apps that run just fine in the background? Is that enough for them, or is there something else I'm missing?

I thought metro apps could only be in focus, suspended, or not running. And suspended (background apps) only got very little CPU time allotted to them for push notifications and such.

Anyone?

there are certain scenarios when background stuff is permitted and theres a part of the API for that. This includes background audio and background downloading.

#35 BannanaNinja

BannanaNinja

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:18

I never suggested anything of the sort. What makes you think I did?

I thinks he thought you were talking about the limitation of the number of background tasks running at once to mean number of apps. To be clear, what Brandon is referring to is the new the app Lifecycle management where apps are suspended when you navigate away from them. This means apps are consuming NO resources when not present other than memory which uses the same amount of power regardless if their is meaningful data occupying it. Because of this, minimized apps will not run rampant on your system affecting battery life or performance. As memory becomes scarce, Windows will close apps as needed to reclaim memory (this is why you no longer have to close apps.) Again, Windows places no restriction on the number apps running at once.

Apps can get special permissions to run short tasks in the background in a controlled manner, as others have mentioned which allows them update live tiles, downloads, play music, notifications, and such.

#36 BannanaNinja

BannanaNinja

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:27

there are certain scenarios when background stuff is permitted and theres a part of the API for that. This includes background audio and background downloading.

Also, while 2 seconds doesn't seem like a lot, it actually is a lot of time to a really fast CPU. The seconds don't have to be continuous, but can be spread out as needed. Most of the time the app just needs short bursts (say 10 milliseconds) and then goes dormant for a bit, another short burst, then dormant...and so on.

Playing audio is a special case. Usually CPUs or GPUs have hardware decoders anyway which are extremely efficient so the extra time needed won't affect battery life much.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!