Task Manager reporting wrong CPU frequency

i5-3550 is Non-K edition. It cannot be overclocked.

You can overclock any CPU, the K-series CPUs just have an unlocked multiplier and better overclockability than non K-series CPUs.

Mine also does the same.

post-227352-0-55457900-1357271662.png

Gotta be something with Turbo Core. My C2Q never goes about 2.67 (currently 2.61 doing a movie compression.) Reported the same in CPU-Z.

While typing this, fired up my older Dell laptop and it's running a core2duo and I can report the same. CPU-Z and Windows 8 Task manager report the same speed.

Gotta be something with Turbo Core. My C2Q never goes about 2.67 (currently 2.61 doing a movie compression.) Reported the same in CPU-Z.

While typing this, fired up my older Dell laptop and it's running a core2duo and I can report the same. CPU-Z and Windows 8 Task manager report the same speed.

I have all power management turned off, turbo boost, speedstep etc.

Hmmm... If it was a Gigabyte board issue I would expect it on my home system too... but i'm not seeing it. Must be with the Core I-series. Anyone with AMD wanna chime in?

I have all power management turned off, turbo boost, speedstep etc.

Atleast yours is going few Mhz above rated speed, Mine goes almost 1 Ghz above in task manager. :laugh:

3lgp2.jpg

Atleast yours is going few Mhz above rated speed, Mine goes almost 1 Ghz above in task manager. :laugh:

The funny thing is, my CPU is clocked at 3.2Ghz, so all figures are incorrect.

More than likely, the Windows CPU read doesn't read the chip speed in real-time, as CPU-Z does. Instead it must take a limited number of parameters and run them through an algorithm to guess the current operating speed of the chip. The real question is why would they need to do this? CPU-Z does it in real-time so why not do the same? It is possible that this data is being fed in real-time in places like Performance Monitor and they are hoping to reduce load on the CPU by not polling constantly?

Either way, it isn't correct and is a bug the should be fixed.

I'm not sure what the other users can't seem to understand in this thread. Talks about TurboBoost and SpeedStep are pointless when CPU-Z is always reporting the current CPU operating speed, including TurboBoost dynamic overclocking and SpeedStep dynamic underclocking.Sometimes I wonder if people just post for the sake of posting...