Windows 8 Apps Nightmare

Well I have this basic DSL modem box thing and it has a Firewall.

I disabled Windows Firewall service in services.msc and I was unable to update Metro Applications.

Turned it back on I was able to do so again. I am not sure what else I can say here.

I just checked, Windows Firewall is disabled and I cannot update things through the store.

0x80073d0a 0x80246007 0x80073cff

Normal updates work - those rely on other networking services.

You Windows dev guys really have WAAAAY too complicated update systems, just update using like port 80 https..

Firewall software like Windows Firewall will open the corresponding ports on your hardware firewall. I don't know that this is needed for updates (I wouldn't think so, but it was an idea). The mechanism for installing apps and app updates is Windows Update, so if apps aren't able to update then it's likely Windows itself wouldn't be able to be updated.

My system has been up for over a month straight and i've had no issues with any Metro Apps causing system stability issues. Firefox has been the only problem as of late. Everything else in Windows 8 has been great. Hoped that Media Center would get the metro makeover, but that hasn't happened yet.

I had the same app issue (says I have updates, but then doesn't show any update) and it eventually went away on it's own.

Firewall software like Windows Firewall will open the corresponding ports on your hardware firewall. I don't know that this is needed for updates (I wouldn't think so, but it was an idea). The mechanism for installing apps and app updates is Windows Update, so if apps aren't able to update then it's likely Windows itself wouldn't be able to be updated.

This is the first time I ever heard anyone say that Windows Firewall messes with DSL router configurations. AFAIK FUD.

Also Windows Update works just fine, as I said before.

I got rid of a few defaults, but use messenger, email, videos, and music often. Aside from games, metrotwit and weatherbug are my most used 3rd party apps. I have some news apps, just don't launch them as often.

Since today I can't install the Amazon Kindle app anymore. If I search for it in the store and open the app description it keeps telling me "Sorry, this app isn't available for your PC".

It worked fine before until I tried to update the app. Then I uninstalled it, so I can reinstall, but it isn't possible anymore.

Anyone an idea?

This is the first time I ever heard anyone say that Windows Firewall messes with DSL router configurations.

I didn't say "messes with." I had thought the firewall API or service was part of how apps trigger UPnP-enabled routers to do this. But I may have been wrong about that (couldn't easily find confirmation either way). I'll have to look into that more later.

AFAIK FUD.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

So it seems Microsoft has now locked the Games app to ARM processors. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is, as you need to use it to play Games for Windows LIVE games.

Some comments in the app suggest it's only locked until Windows 8 is released, while others suggest that it's just locked to ARM processors now.

So it seems Microsoft has now locked the Games app to ARM processors. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is, as you need to use it to play Games for Windows LIVE games.

Some comments in the app suggest it's only locked until Windows 8 is released, while others suggest that it's just locked to ARM processors now.

I have the Games app on my x64 desktop. Where is this info coming from? Mind posting up hard data showing this?

I have the Games app on my x64 desktop. Where is this info coming from? Mind posting up hard data showing this?

Go to the Store. Look under Top Free in the Spotlight section. Find Games in the list. It will say you don't meet requirements to install it. Look at the comments.

Yes, Games comes pre-installed with Windows 8. There isn't much of an issue there. I'm able to use it.

Yup, odd. I hope the Store app gets some much needed update love soon too. Its still borked in many ways, I assume this 'listing' is only symptomatic of that.

I'd just be happy if it for once could keep track of how many app updates there actually are. The tile shows 8, the counter on the main menu shows 3 but when I click update only one is listed. Fan****ingtastic.

I've just installed solitaire on my laptop.

It's actually much better than I expected.

I hope the Store app gets some much needed update love soon too. Its still borked in many ways,

Darn tootin'

3G2iZl.jpg

Blergh to HTML based applications :p

At any rate, even if the store application actually worked properly, it's still a rather terrible design that wastes a serious amount of space and does barely anything to aid application discovery. It's a shame because you know there are teams at / available to Microsoft who know how to design stuff like this properly, but they don't seem to have been let anywhere these included applications...

I agree. They should know this stuff yet both the W8 and WP7 store organization and searching is terrible. How hard is it to have a working search engine for a few thousand apps? I know hierarchy is anathema, but the categories simply don't work well either - and share the same problems as the All Programs menu - its ridiculously hard to browse for anything - which means search, which is still broken.

The store and the apps seem buggy as hell. I've had the store indicate I had updates and then had no available updates display in the store. I've had apps crash for no apparent reason. Right now I have a strange problem where any web links in the store or in an app will not open in a browser, so if I wanted to go to an app's homepage and see more screenshots or information I can't do that. On a device like the Surface RT that sounds kind of scary, as one might end up resetting the device and installing all their apps from scratch again frequently. I haven't had any issue like where I can't get an app to install, though. Hopefully they will release an update for the OS at some point that will make the experience more stable.

An hour ago, I confirmed that the Games app said "ARM" only for "Supported Processors".

I uninstalled it from my x64 machine, and confirmed it said that I did not meet minimum requirements, and could not reinstall it.

Now (an hour later), it lists "x86, x64, ARM" for "Supported Processors", and I can install it.

So, they fixed it!

They're obviously still working out some bugs, my Store app shows that I have Fruit Ninja installed but I don't. I had the trial app back during the beta but I never purchased it. It tried to "update" the game now but fails every time. Kind of annoying... hope this stuff gets fixed by Friday.

Wow, I've not really used a whole load of the apps but just realized today that I can't have an app open on each of my monitors at the same time.

That's a good design choice. /sarcasm

They're obviously still working out some bugs, my Store app shows that I have Fruit Ninja installed but I don't. I had the trial app back during the beta but I never purchased it. It tried to "update" the game now but fails every time. Kind of annoying... hope this stuff gets fixed by Friday.

Uninstall the game, then go back into the store and look at games/apps you haven't installed.

There you will find Fruit Ninja waiting to be installed...and it's the full version. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. I then went to the store and checked the normal listing for it and it had the $4.99 price. I clicked the option to buy it (figuring why not see what happens) and it asked for my password, and didn't charge me.

I checked my billing and transaction history...so either it's an issue where they are giving it out for free and didn't mean to...or it's a little thank you gift that they don't mention for the earlier build users.

I'm hoping it's the latter since I quite enjoy the game and yes it does work for me. :)

Wow, I've not really used a whole load of the apps but just realized today that I can't have an app open on each of my monitors at the same time.

That's a good design choice. /sarcasm

Sarcasm not needed...that's what Snap is for...but you didn't watch the tutorial or read any documentation I can see :p

Sarcasm not needed...that's what Snap is for...but you didn't watch the tutorial or read any documentation I can see :p

That's not useful in a scenario where you have multiple monitors, and would want Modern UI applications in all their glory on each of them individually.

That's not useful in a scenario where you have multiple monitors, and would want Modern UI applications in all their glory on each of them individually.

Huh...I haven't seen that usage scenario really come up. If anything I've generally seen one monitor dedicated to older style WinApps and one dedicated to Metro style stuff. I haven't really seen an issue with that usage scenario.

Any examples of where this would come in handy, with some specific usage scenarios? :)