XP and 2000 compatible

How can I make my XP laptop be seen on my win2000 desktop computer?

I transfer alot of files back and forth from my laptop and 2000 desktop... but my XP laptop does not even reconize my 2000 PC ... have to do a search for it and then it pops up and even then it stalls for a while.... i try this from the win2000 and that pc does not even find my XP laptop.

Is there a Patch i can download for XP or for 2000. and which one is it?

There are a couple of things you need to ensure, especially if you are using TCP/IP at the network transport protocol.

In TCP/IP language, every device that has an IP address is called a host. Every host belongs to a TCP/IP network. A TCP/IP network is not the same as your LAN, although your LAN may use TCP/IP. I would guess you are using Ethernet devices/NIC's (either 10 or 100Mb/s) for your LAN. All TCP/IP addresses must be in the same IP masked network for the devices to communicate properly.

An example

PC1 IP address:

netmask

PC2 IP address:

netmask

The IP network is determined by the netmask of 255.255.255.0 which means that the network is 192.168.200 and all other subdesignations are HOSTS (192.168.200.x-xxx 0 and 255 excluded). Only IP hosts on the same network can communicate together (routing is different, but if routed at least one interface address must be in the same network for communications between PC's to function.) You need to check each PC to make sure their IP address are in the same network.

Lastly, although you probably haven't turned off this feature:

From the CMD line type the following for each PC:

net config server /hidden:no

Even if hidden, the PC resources are still available, just not browseable via the broswer or Explorer.

To access (hidden) resources, you must type in the full and accurate UNC path from either PC to the resources.

pc1shareddirectory

Ensure that both machines are in the same workgroup:

- System Properties/Computer Name (Windows XP)

- System Properties/Network Identification (Windows 2000)

Also ensure that the computer names are not the same and ensure that the computer names are not the same as a username.

Test connectivity between the machines, open a Command Prompt and test that you can ping a machine from the other:

ping pc1

(from PC2) if this does not work then look at your IP setup (see the msg from JustinLerner). Ensure that the ping works before you continue. By pinging the name of the PC you are ensuring that NetBIOS will work.

Ensure that you have a username and password that are the same on both PCs, not essential, but makes it easier.

Share a folder on your Win2K machine, then from your WinXP machine type:

WIN2KSHARE

Or whatever the machine and share name are. And away you go.

You may also try installing netbeui on your XP machine if it is on you Win2k machine, XP does not offer netbeui by default but it is stored in the ValueaddMSFTNET folder on the XP cd