• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,443 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 13 October 2012 - 14:59

You're not missing anything from the mac World I will say you're if one day they decide to make all the same games you can play on the pc and stuff but not going to happen anytime soon... I would go with a PC with Windows 8 Pro Retail or OEM. since I always go with the latest operating system since I don't like being behind in the tech world. enjoy your new PC... hopefully one day Apple will be ahead of it's game.

For Apple they're setting themselves up as the Sony of the United States and you're a professional you'll just have to get used to playing second fiddle to the i-device hype. I think it is a smart move by Apple but equally if you're a Mac user expecting 'more' than what you've got today then expect to be bitterly disappointed. Don't be surprised if the Mac Pro is mothballed and the iMac is eventually killed off so that in 12 months time they're a 100% pure mobile company selling iPhones, iPad's, MacBook Air 'Retina' devices - that is the future of Apple (which will be very profitable for them) so the question is whether what you need to do lines up with their future path.

I'm not bashing Apple - I'm actually praising them for making a savvy business move but I do think that many Mac users need to wake up and realise that Apple is going in one direction and that new direction isn't going to line up with what they (as end users) want to do in the future.

#17 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,810 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:05

Windows 7 is your best bet. It'll be supported for many years to come and is as "traditional" a desktop OS as you're going to get any time in the near future.

#18 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,922 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:45

Dual boot Linux and Windows 7. Or use WUBI on Windows 7 to install Linux. That way you can use either one to suit your need.

Linux Mint is my favorite distro, but there are many good one.

#19 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,966 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 16:05

Sorry to parrot everyone else but I also say Windows 7 is your best bet :)