Photo

The native Start menu is back, everyone rejoice!

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:13

Hah i could be a star? :woot: ;)

LMAO!!!!!! :rofl:

#47 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:20

Really? it worked for me, and almost everyone else that used it. Explain that!

PEBKAC. Plain and simple. She thinks she "uninstalled" Internet Explorer...all she did was take ownership of TrustedInstaller, and foolishly DELETED internet explorer using unlocker. LOLOLOL!!!!! :rofl: @OP: Man, if I had 8, I'd test this for you in a heart beat! I could have used this when I was running the RP! That was the only thing I didn't like about 8. Glad there's more choices now! OUTSTANDING job man! (Y)

#48 bryonhowley

bryonhowley

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:41

This is not needed at all and hopefully Microsoft will prevent it from working with the first set of updates.

#49 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:54

This must be some extra code or "app" that looks like the Windows 7 start menu, no? Microsoft deleted the code for the Windows 7 start menu. Why would MS keep it if it didn't intend to use it? Just for bloat? This seems like an extra app, and not a Windows 8 feature. How is this different from other start menus, like VStart & Start8

UPDATE: Nevermind; I found the lovely quote that explained how this was done. I didn't know there was still code that remained. Wow, nice work. You are indeed a brilliant person. I love people who tinker with things and make it do stuff it wasn't meant to do.

#50 +GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:55

This is not needed at all and hopefully Microsoft will prevent it from working with the first set of updates.

Why should they, though?
  • It doesn't affect other people (e.g. you) that do NOT use it.
  • It doesn't affect THEM.
  • It's not a security issue.
Plus if they remove it, people would just move to other solutions anyway. So I really don't see why they should spend more effort on this rather than fixing bugs / introducing new features.

#51 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:02

Why should they, though?

• It doesn't affect other people (e.g. you) that do NOT use it.
  • It doesn't affect THEM.
  • It's not a security issue.
Plus if they remove it, people would just move to other solutions anyway. So I really don't see why they should spend more effort on this rather than fixing bugs / introducing new features.

Most likely, it'll just be like UXtheme patching years ago. Remember how that always broke with updates?

#52 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:05

This is 100% needed, not sure what version of 8 you are using that you thing the start menu isn't needed.

#53 +GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:15

Most likely, it'll just be like UXtheme patching years ago. Remember how that always broke with updates?

Heh yeah. I always wondered why they included a theming engine like UXtheme, and only use it for ONE theme. Luna in XP and Aero after it.

#54 OP flexkeyboard

flexkeyboard

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:53

@Tihiy is it possible to bring back the "Pin to Start Menu" system-wide? Right now you can only do it within the Start menu program items, but not in explorer.

@Tihiy is it possible to bring back the "Pin to Start Menu" system-wide? Right now you can only do it within the Start menu program items, but not in explorer.

#55 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:57

ive gotten pretty used to windows 8 without the start button, so i'm good even though i like the start button.

#56 Tihiy

Tihiy

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 19:52

It is in explorer unless you enabled 'launch folder in separate instances'. Nevertheless, it'll be fixed soon. You can drag&drop on start button instead.

#57 LAMj

LAMj

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2012 - 22:33

It is in explorer unless you enabled 'launch folder in separate instances'. Nevertheless, it'll be fixed soon. You can drag&drop on start button instead.

I had mine to run in separate process, forgot about it until now.

Anyway, I notice that the bottom-left hot border will reappear after switching monitors or turn on dual monitor setup.

#58 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:04

I had mine to run in separate process, forgot about it until now.

Anyway, I notice that the bottom-left hot border will reappear after switching monitors or turn on dual monitor setup.

That is because it has a "brother" at the second display, which also have to be disabled :)

#59 Tihiy

Tihiy

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:07

Can you test if it hides back if you switch to Metro and back to desktop?

That is because it has a "brother" at the second display, which also have to be disabled

I don't disable them ;)

#60 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:36

I do not disable that corner too. It is useful

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!