apple

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,644 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:37

What? You wouldn't/didn't EXPECT this from this company? Absolutely no different than EVERYTHING Google does, but that's different, huh?

Partially why I will NEVER own anything from Apple or Google!! :angry:

You can bet Microsoft will do this eventually... Of they are not already

At least Google announced way ahead of the time before they did this so users knew what was going on.. Tho most people didn't understand what Google said and got paranoid and scared. Apple tried to sneak it past their users.

#47 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:44

Whatever. My iPhone 4 is still badass and I really don't care if you don't believe me. You people are hard at work in your own reality distortion field.

The only people claiming the iPhone is perfect are hyperbole obsessed folks like you. Other people live in reality and make objective comparisons between products.

Lmao, no one claims the iPhone is perfect anymore, specially after the horrid iOS6 release. But honestly, its known fact among anyone with common sense it takes less screen taps to get EVERYTHING done on Android. Apple hasnt innovated in a long time, and theyre only playing copy and catchup now.

The only feeling i get when using an iphone is limits, you hit walls constantly because it has SO little features compared to what im used to on Android.

Enjoy your reality distortion field, where you think Apple is competitive. The latest iphone is proof enough that they simply have nothing left in them.

#48 Packet1009

Packet1009

Neowinian

• 497 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:48

actually i think my 4s is perfect - i'd jump to the 5 if it wasnt for a cell phone contract. but that's besides the point.

the locations based ad tracking - simple uncheck etc - think mine was on to begin with. not going to wipe the phone clean and run setup again to make a point.

but wow look at the anti-apple rage. rabid hyperbole is a good way to describe it.

makes me want to add in a obligatory "aww are we butthurt, ? look how butthurt we are" response

#49 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:58

actually i think my 4s is perfect - i'd jump to the 5 if it wasnt for a cell phone contract. but that's besides the point.

the locations based ad tracking - simple uncheck etc - think mine was on to begin with. not going to wipe the phone clean and run setup again to make a point.

but wow look at the anti-apple rage. rabid hyperbole is a good way to describe it.

makes me want to add in a obligatory "aww are we butthurt, ? look how butthurt we are" response

So perfect it doesnt have proper maps or turn by turn navigation. Its not butthurt, its pity, seeing the ignorance of hte iSheep defending such an inferior product.

#50 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,444 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:20

You are the one who is turning this into flamewar and you are judging my posts? That's a joke.

I'm starting a flamewar? Do you have amnesia? You started the flaming by calling people 'rabid fandroids'.

Double standards will only get you deeper into that ###### you're currently flourishing in.

#51 Packet1009

Packet1009

Neowinian

• 497 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:28

So perfect it doesnt have proper maps or turn by turn navigation. Its not butthurt, its pity, seeing the ignorance of hte iSheep defending such an inferior product.

has it occurred to you sitting in your ivory tower of judgement that your pity is not asked for?

i am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know that ios 6 has turn by turn navigation.

in summary, thank you for your thoughts.

#52 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:18

I think this thread should be cleaned. :)

#53 Big b0b

Big b0b

Neowinian

• 170 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:25

Download BetterBatteryStats. It's doesn't happen 100% of the time, but you'd be surprised at how often Google Maps wakelocks your phone and uses your GPS to determine your location. I can't say exactly what Google is doing with this information, but it's not related to Latitude, and my guess is they are using that location information. There are a lot of posts about this issue, but it seems like it's a concession of having Google Maps. There is no setting that will disable it, other than turning off all of your location services. When you turn on the location services, you even have to click the "Agree" button saying you're ok with Google uploading your anonymous location data in the background, even while nothing is running. Google is no saint, they aren't offering Android out of the goodness of their heart, they want to be the first layer of interaction that accepts your data, hence why they are pushing Chrome and Android so heavily.

I've lost quite a bit of battery on occassions because my Google Maps will turn my GPS/Location services on for 5-6 minutes.

Hasn't happened to me. I have battery stats, I can also kill running processes on a whim if I choose.

Download BetterBatteryStats. It's doesn't happen 100% of the time, but you'd be surprised at how often Google Maps wakelocks your phone and uses your GPS to determine your location. I can't say exactly what Google is doing with this information, but it's not related to Latitude, and my guess is they are using that location information. There are a lot of posts about this issue, but it seems like it's a concession of having Google Maps. There is no setting that will disable it, other than turning off all of your location services. When you turn on the location services, you even have to click the "Agree" button saying you're ok with Google uploading your anonymous location data in the background, even while nothing is running. Google is no saint, they aren't offering Android out of the goodness of their heart, they want to be the first layer of interaction that accepts your data, hence why they are pushing Chrome and Android so heavily.

I've lost quite a bit of battery on occassions because my Google Maps will turn my GPS/Location services on for 5-6 minutes.

Hasn't happened to me. I have battery stats, I can also kill running processes on a whim if I choose.

#54 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:32

How do you figure Google and Apple measure the traffic congestion on the maps apps? Simple. They track you. They know where you are and how fast you're going at all times.

It's really not that big of a deal. But if it bothers you, don't have a smartphone period.

#55 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,444 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:39

This thread needs to be cleaned, just so that a particular hypocrite can have a successful cop out :)

#56 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:57

I hate Apple and hope they fail. Yes, you heard me right... companies that control too much market is a bad thing and are bad for the world as a whole.

You do realize the hypocrisy of that statement right? If Apple falls, then Android controls damn near 95% of the smart phone market. If Android falls, Apple gets it. People need to stop focusing on bashing them and focusing on bringing on a competitor.

#57 The Guvnor

The Guvnor

Corl!! Stand Back!!

• 612 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 16GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, iPad Mini 16GB WiFi

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:18

Enjoy your new iPhone, fanboiz

We will poor dude.

#58 Big b0b

Big b0b

Neowinian

• 170 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:41

We will poor dude.

lol, mmkay.

How do you figure Google and Apple measure the traffic congestion on the maps apps? Simple. They track you. They know where you are and how fast you're going at all times.

It's really not that big of a deal. But if it bothers you, don't have a smartphone period.

Good point. I accept that. However, I don't have any location services activated unless I'm running GPS on a trip. It kills battery, and just like what is being discussed here, I don't want someone tracking me.