• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,501 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:12

I've heard of theories like this, but I don't believe them myself. My problem is two factor, evolution and consciousness (or sentience, if you prefer). In essence, over billions of years, life originated and evolved to create consciousness. Simply put, I don't understand how something non-physical could spawn conscious experience.

#17 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:16

Give me ma red pill!!

#18 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,231 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:19

Nothing is true.

Everything is permitted.

#19 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,549 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:28

Nothing is true.

Everything is permitted.

In other a news, Warner Bros were forced to withdraw the box office hit trilogy; Matrix, following a massive number of people attempted to fly, plummeting to their deaths.

#20 a1ien

a1ien

Neowinian

• 724 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:43

I've heard of theories like this, but I don't believe them myself. My problem is two factor, evolution and consciousness (or sentience, if you prefer). In essence, over billions of years, life originated and evolved to create consciousness. Simply put, I don't understand how something non-physical could spawn conscious experience.

This is stupid because a computer IS physical. The question intelligent people ask is not how the non-physical could spawn conscious experience, but rather how something physical can spawn it. What exactly is the non-physical anyways?

I just want to remark that, one thing this paper is reminding us, is that THERE COULD be a god. Because if the universe was a simulation, there could be intelligences who made it, and to us they would effectively be gods. Heck, they could send our digital 'souls' to heaven and hell when we died, if they wanted to do that.

#21 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,501 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:48

This is stupid because a computer IS physical. The question intelligent people ask is not how the non-physical could spawn conscious experience, but rather how something physical can spawn it. What exactly is the non-physical anyways?

The non-physical is the simulation, i.e. The Matrix. There are ways to end conscious experience through medical drugs, but the person will regain consciousness as the drugs effect wears off. If the drugs are merely part of the simulation, how does it make sense that they can temporarily take away conscious experience?

#22 FightAndLive

FightAndLive

Neowinian

• 341 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:00

The non-physical is the simulation, i.e. The Matrix. There are ways to end conscious experience through medical drugs, but the person will regain consciousness as the drugs effect wears off. If the drugs are merely part of the simulation, how does it make sense that they can temporarily take away conscious experience?

The person's "thinking" aka "per-frame" function pointer gets changed to a different thinking aka "per-frame" function?

#23 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:26

you make an interesting point but consciousness is simply the ability to understand current situation and store memories along with free will ... free will is what I would describe conciousness and whether or not we are in a digital or physical world those elements remain the same.... everything with experience is electrical impulses get the right frequency jolted into the brain and you could smell a dinosaurs fart (note dinosaurs being extinct ;D )

#24 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 20:33